SA -Going into lock down

As they were doing the press release and mentioned the lockdown, I quickly ducked to aldi to top up, as we couldn't do our normal shop on the weekend. By the time I hit the checkouts, they have them all opened and had queue's out the door!! Even where I park, which is miles away from the shops was full and people waiting for my park. Absolutely crazy!!

5 minutes ago, David_C said:

As they were doing the press release and mentioned the lockdown, I quickly ducked to aldi to top up, as we couldn't do our normal shop on the weekend. By the time I hit the checkouts, they have them all opened and had queue's out the door!! Even where I park, which is miles away from the shops was full and people waiting for my park. Absolutely crazy!!

Just quietly, the people flocking to stores now is exactly the opposite of what we should be doing. 

All these people flooding the stores when it is clear that supermarkets will still be open during lockdown; why? 

The people then crowd and cause chaos, potentially spreading it even more. 

Just wear a face covering and go during the lockdown people, it's all good. Be efficient and plan things well and it'll be fine. 

I'd understand shops that will be locked down such as Bottle shops even more so, but man, this is a great way to spread a virus, by cramming into tight spaces on mass. 

46 minutes ago, David_C said:

True but last time we waited and couldn't get the basics (milk, bread, eggs and meat) - so wasn't going to risk it this time

Yeah fair enough, it's unfortunate that all the people stockpiling for the apocalypse make it that your average Joe needs to get involved for a carton of eggs. 

This whole year has shown how mass hysteria in the population just stops people thinking things through. 

A bit over a week ago I was sitting back in Cooktown wishing that the howling onshore winds would ease when I decided that enough is enough, time to head to Smoky Bay for a couple of months. My plan was to cut down through western NSW and cross into SA via Broken Hill - I'm glad I stuffed around and didn't get that far.

Hang in there people and I hope you don't have to go through the same extended lockdown as they experienced in Vic.

2 minutes ago, snafu said:

A bit over a week ago I was sitting back in Cooktown wishing that the howling onshore winds would ease when I decided that enough is enough, time to head to Smoky Bay for a couple of months. My plan was to cut down through western NSW and cross into SA via Broken Hill - I'm glad I stuffed around and didn't get that far.

Hang in there people and I hope you don't have to go through the same extended lockdown as they experienced in Vic.

Sounds like you have a pretty good life - considering  ;) 

Whilst I think they should have phased it in over a few days to avoid this kind of crazy panic foolishness it does go to show many people don't even want to help themselves, let alone care about anyone else. The shops are not closing, most of Aus is covid free and so plenty of everything, there is zero need to panic buy anything, yet FOMO humans behaving like a school of salmon when a lure is thrown.

Yep it’s hit hard I’m in the high risk group . This time I can’t get out and fish :( my volunteering for jobseeker the charity has shut down so other than going to the supermarket or chemist I’m home . Managed to see mum take her to see Dad in care stand in a massive line at woollies force my mum to shop because I can’t go collect her . Had to cancel my appointment to see my GP I’m having joint issues I have gout and arthritis not sure it’s either of those but I changed it to Thursday next week . I’m waiting for the lockdown to lift and find the bream . Think my family is happy I canceled my appointment have to catch the bus it’s cheaper than car park fees . Stay strong follow the rules we will get there . Me in a mask I forgot I’ve lost weight again 12 kilos maybe more another reason to get to the doctor get weighed lol

2C22E943-4F9A-4265-8F1F-12F8B8DBBC7F.jpeg

1 hour ago, doobie said:

Sounds like you have a pretty good life - considering  ;) 

Yeah, I've got nothing to moan about Doobie, the fishing is good, the weather is generally okay and there's no virus up here in FNQ, so why would I want to leave the place and head to South Oz? I guess the answer to that is KGW, calamari and blue crabs - definitely worth the 8,000km round trip.

I can't believe the panic buying that goes on, as soon as there a sign of covid-19 virus all hell let's loose in the super markets.

We had it on 7news here the day of the new outbreak in SA  and people were buying up on toilet paper straight away, empty shelves in no time at all..

What's wrong with just doing a normal shop, I haven't heard that the virus gives you the "trots/runs" so what's with this toilet paper epidemic..

Stay safe there everyone, thinking of you all.. take care.. and let's hope they get on top of it ASAP like they did before..

cheers

Adrian

https://www.abc.net.au/life/coronavirus-covid-19-why-is-everyone-buying-toilet-paper/12024738

Human nature can be quite predictable. I think the main driver is confirmation bias.

People were caught out last time and despite all the reassurances that there would be plenty of supply, those that didn't stock up went short.

They see other people panic buying and they see shortages = there is a shortage and you need to panic buy.

Its a vicious feedback loop

Or you can take the Freudian view of the world

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/03/30/what-would-freud-make-of-the-toilet-paper-panic

"Because your Facebook feed leads you to believe that it’s a commodity more precious than gold. Because you use the cardboard tubes for crafting. Because you like to wet it and then hurl it in a wad at annoying people in your coronavirus bunker.

grocery shopping for toilet paper

The possible explanations for toilet-paper hoarding are myriad. Unlike hand sanitizer and test kits, toilet paper is not a commodity subject to increased need in the current crisis. Nevertheless, shoppers continue to express a panic mentality over bathroom tissue. The fallout: a newspaper in Australia recently ran eight mostly blank pages for its readers (“Run out of loo paper?” the tabloid asked. “The NT News cares”); determining your fair share of Cottonelle at your local Costco can now feel like Yalta.Read The New Yorker’s complete news coverage and analysis of the coronavirus pandemic.

What’s fuelling all this obsessive-compulsive shopping? Randy O. Frost, a professor of psychology at Smith College, who has written widely about hoarding, said that most hoarders are motivated by a combination of three factors: emotional or sentimental attachment, aesthetic appreciation, and utility. But hoarders of toilet paper, Frost said, are compelled by only the third motivation. “One of the underlying characteristics of utility is an intolerance of uncertainty,” he said over the phone. “The individual needs to feel absolutely and perfectly certain that some kind of negative outcome won’t occur.”

But let’s dig deeper; let us ask the toilet-paper-stockpiling patient (in a calm voice), “Vot ees trobbling you?”

“Controlling cleanliness around B.M.s is the earliest way the child asserts control,” Andrea Greenman, the president of the Contemporary Freudian Society, said. “The fact that now we are all presumably losing control creates a regressive push to a very early time. So, I guess that translates in the unconscious to ‘If I have a lifelong supply of toilet paper, I’ll never be out of control, never be a helpless, dirty child again.’ ”

Freud believed that human beings subconsciously equate feces with gold or money. In “On Transformations of Instinct as Exemplified in Anal Erotism,” the father of psychoanalysis wrote, “Since his faeces are his first gift, the child easily transfers his interest from that substance to the new one which he comes across as the most valuable gift in life.” The turning point in a child’s so-called anal phase is when he learns to relinquish his “gift”—which, in turn, occasions a loss of self. Toilet paper is inextricably bound in our minds with defecation, and is one of our few public acknowledgments of it. Perhaps it makes sense, then, that a café in Australia recently decided to accept toilet paper as currency (three rolls for a coffee, thirty-six rolls for a kilo of beans).

Is the panic-buying of toilet paper primarily egoistic? Not according to Susan Signe Morrison, the author of “Excrement in the Late Middle Ages: Sacred Filth and Chaucer’s Fecopoetics.” “Jesus’ corporal acts of mercy include caring for sick people. Wiping someone’s bottom is not specifically mentioned, but when you think of tending to infants or old people who can’t control their fecal production . . . ” Morrison said, trailing off with a delicacy befitting the subject matter. “If we don’t have toilet paper, will we revile our family members who aren’t clean in the way we expect them to be?”

According to one anthropologist, an outer-directed motivation for toilet-paper hoarding might even skew political. “The places we see toilet paper mentioned are often tied up with politics, especially in the movies,” Grant Jun Otsuki, a lecturer in cultural anthropology at Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand, said. “The turning point of the movie ‘V for Vendetta’ is when Evey discovers a letter written on toilet paper by someone oppressed under the totalitarian regime. Evey becomes politically awakened.”

In a recent blog post subtitled “A Cultural Analysis of Toilet Paper,” Otsuki teases out a hierarchy of household paper goods, from Bibles and diaries, at the top, to old newspapers, to paper towels and plates, down to toilet paper, noting that this lowest item on the chain could fairly smoothly perform many of the functions of items higher up on the list, but not vice versa. He concludes, “While we may use fancy paper and pens to write the basic laws of a nation, in some way those words have no meaning unless they could also be written on toilet paper and potentially carry the same force. Without the possibility of a constitution written on Charmin, modern democracy would be unthinkable.”

3 minutes ago, yellow door 1 said:

Ahh - I was wondering why he lied about working at the Pizza shop - cash in hand job 

Let’s put it this way when it concerns money our federal government comes after you all guns blazing... that’s what found out from Centrelink they cut me claimed I owned a house which put me over limits ..... that was Xmas Eve 2019 took me weeks to prove I don’t and forced them to give me rent assistance for the first time .... and my experts said houses are not assets especially when you don’t own one :)