Crumbed Fiddlers

Beleive or not fiddler rays are quite good on the table! We got five of them a few days ago for the table, the best way is to kill them quickly is by brain spike between the eyes. When you are ready to start preparing them them, cut the tail at the base of the flaps and cut through until it is severed and skin and fillet the tail like how you would for flake, once this job is done soak them in water overnight. Once you are ready to cook them coat the fillets, cut them into bite size pieces, and place thme into a bowl of whisked eggs and then dip the chunks in a mixture of breadcrumbs, dessicated coconut, sprinkling of salt and pepper and a pinch of curry for maximum flavour. Fry on medium heat until the crumbs are nice and golden. If ya wanna try the flaps dont! they taste like crap so either cut off the flaps from the body and boil them and scrape the meat and skin off (and either give it to the pets or burley) and deep fry the cartilage, which is quite nice. I dont waste them so use any leftovers for bait/ burley. And another word of warning, is dont keep the big ones as they are females and often have pups, so its best to keep the medium size ones! Fiddler meat looks tough at first but once cooked they are perfect! The best way I can describe the taste is a bit like flake cross chicken but they taste really mild. Try them ya wont be disappointed!

Err thanks for the tips Benny but i reckon i'll give the poor old fiddlers a miss and stick with my gar and whiting,i'm not saying they wouldn't be fine to eat but i release most leatheries, flathead and even flounder so i probably wouldn't eat a fiddler.we could probably do with a bit of culling on the pesky buggers though. cheers brenton cheers brenton

• 4 months later...
brenton wrote:

,i'm not saying they wouldn't be fine to eat but i release most leatheries, flathead and even flounder so i probably wouldn't eat a fiddler. cheers brenton cheers brenton

you dont eat Flatties?? Letheries?? or flounder???some of THE BEST eating fish!!!just my opinion :D
benny wrote:

Beleive or not fiddler rays are quite good on the table! We got five of them a few days ago for the table, the best way is to kill them quickly is by brain spike between the eyes. When you are ready to start preparing them them, cut the tail at the base of the flaps and cut through until it is severed and skin and fillet the tail like how you would for flake, once this job is done soak them in water overnight. Once you are ready to cook them coat the fillets, cut them into bite size pieces, and place thme into a bowl of whisked eggs and then dip the chunks in a mixture of breadcrumbs, dessicated coconut, sprinkling of salt and pepper and a pinch of curry for maximum flavour. Fry on medium heat until the crumbs are nice and golden. If ya wanna try the flaps dont! they taste like crap so either cut off the flaps from the body and boil them and scrape the meat and skin off (and either give it to the pets or burley) and deep fry the cartilage, which is quite nice. I dont waste them so use any leftovers for bait/ burley. And another word of warning, is dont keep the big ones as they are females and often have pups, so its best to keep the medium size ones! Fiddler meat looks tough at first but once cooked they are perfect! The best way I can describe the taste is a bit like flake cross chicken but they taste really mild. Try them ya wont be disappointed!

Mmmm sounds nice Benny..