Light reels

I like using 1000 sized reels, they just feel right for the type of fishing I do, which is land based mainly for garfish YFW and squid. I have normally stuck with Shimano and have a Sienna, Sedona and Stradic Ci4+ all in the 1000 size. The Sedona is just a smidge over your weight at 215gms and $99. I like this reel a lot and often grab it over the Stradic; there is a bit more weight in the spool, so there is slightly more effort to start  turning the handle, but once spinning the extra mass feels nicer than Stradic. The Stradic has better water protection, so I take this when wading. If I had a need for another reel I would opt for the Stradic FL, which has even better water protection.

I have just bought a Daiwa Emeraldas 2500 for squid fishing, which is also a small reel. It's a bit heavier at 240gms but is a double handle. I bought this reel specifically because it has a faster retrieve than the Shimano reels I already own.

Not under 200gms, but a bit over I would suggest the Sedona or Nasci. The Sedona and Nasci (and Sahara) are the same basic reel, with the Nasci having an extra bearing and better water protection. At 200gms and $199 on special I think the Shimano Ultegra would be ideal. At 185gms and $268 the Shimano Stradic FL would be my reel of choice. There is a good video giving a full breakdown of the Stradic FL

21 minutes ago, MAH said:

At 185gms and $268 the Shimano Stradic FL would be my reel of choice. There is a good video giving a full breakdown of the Stradic FL

Thanks @MAH. People are claiming the Vanford is the Stradic FL in a Ci4+ body and MGL rotor to get the weight down, all else is the same as far as I can work out. Supposedly there is another bearing somewhere too but cant find it yet. $30 buys you 30g less lol. Would like to see Tackle Advisors dude do a Vanford teardown to confirm. Not convinced the X Protect does much.

I have been using this for the last 12 months. No more R.S.I from lure casting for 8 hours  !!!

ABU GARCIA MGX Revo 2 MGXtreme 20 Reel REVO2MGXTRSP20. A 2000 size reel only 159 gms.

https://abugarcia-fishing.com.au/product/revo-mgxtreme/

I have it balanced with an Abu Garcia Eradicator Real Finesse ERFS-76LT-TZ  7' 6" 2pce Line 0.6-3lb Lure 0.1gm-12gm

...  only 66 gms

https://abugarcia-fishing.com.au/product/real-finesse/

It does stretch the budget a little.

Cheers, Des

AbuGarciaRevoMGXtreme.png

14 hours ago, keenfisho said:

That reel is beautiful Des

you not using the zodius rod anymore?

i have not fishing the flats that much since I got mine but I’m still not 100% sure on it

did you have problems pulling hooks when you used yours?

for a 3-6pound rod I do find it a bit stiff through the tip

Zodias is a good rod. Just better options for YFW. Take it out if Bream and Flathead are in a spot.

Yes it was pulling hooks. I have moved to 7" 6" ultra light rods for YFW. 

Longer casts and most importantly more shock absorption when those big ones run hard in close. Rarely pull a hook now.

The 2 standard rods in my wading tub at present are:

Samaki Zing Xtreme SZX-762SFR-SPIN 7'6" 2pce Line 2-6lb  Lure 1-7 gms

Abu Garcia Eradicator Real Finesse ERFS-76LT-TZ  7' 6" 2pce Line 0.6-3lb Lure 0.1gm-12gm (66gms)

Cheers Des

RealFinesseRod.png

18 hours ago, Des said:

I have moved to 7" 6" ultra light rods for YFW. 

Longer casts and most importantly more shock absorption when those big ones run hard in close. Rarely pull a hook now.

Couldn't agree more with this. 

The Samaki - is it the V1 (cork butt) or V2 (skeleton reel seat)? V1 is a belter of a rod!!

On 29/12/2020 at 7:01 AM, Des said:

ABU GARCIA MGX Revo 2 MGXtreme 20 Reel REVO2MGXTRSP20. A 2000 size reel only 159 gms.

Looks really nice, and I really appreciate they give you a spare spool and cork + EVA handle knobs. Pretty pricey though as you say. The MGX is a fair bit cheaper, still really light, wonder what you're losing.

On 29/12/2020 at 11:20 PM, Des said:

Zodias is a good rod. Just better options for YFW. Take it out if Bream and Flathead are in a spot.

Yes it was pulling hooks. I have moved to 7" 6" ultra light rods for YFW. 

The 2 standard rods in my wading tub at present are:

Samaki Zing Xtreme SZX-762SFR-SPIN 7'6" 2pce Line 2-6lb  Lure 1-7 gms

Abu Garcia Eradicator Real Finesse ERFS-76LT-TZ  7' 6" 2pce Line 0.6-3lb Lure 0.1gm-12gm (66gms)

Cheers Des

RealFinesseRod.png

Missed out on these on clearance at tackelworld for $250 each! seem to be running out of stores and a new model must be on its way

On 30/12/2020 at 6:22 PM, Soobz said:

Looks really nice, and I really appreciate they give you a spare spool and cork + EVA handle knobs. Pretty pricey though as you say. The MGX is a fair bit cheaper, still really light, wonder what you're losing.

😶  I have them both 🙄 No extra bits & spares with the MGX. But very little diff in their performance. Touch of weight you possibly wont feel. 

Keep an eye out for a Sydney retailer on ebay who has them on special often. Reliable supplier as well.

Cheers, Des

20201125_192602b.jpg