Snapper to be released into the gulfs

Hey guys, thought I heard something on the news while cooking so just had a Google and it seems I heard correctly, apparently about 150k snapper fingerings are going to be released into each gulf over the next few months.

It seems they got the brood stock from the appropriate gulfs so genetically everything should be ok and it only cost $500k which is pocket change even for a poor state like ours.

Dare I say our government is actually doing something positive for our fish stocks and fisherpeople in this state? Only time will tell but I actually feel this could be a positive thing.

Now if they could thin out the trumpeters and puffers a bit things would really be looking up.

It’s a good start but I wonder how many will survive? They are only 6cm at release

also until the government completely ban long lining it will not matter how many fingerlings they release because as soon as the ban lifts in 2023 the pros will just go back to their old ways and smash the snapper again

Even if only 10% survive (which would be a poor strike rate) thats still 30K more snapper across the two gulfs. If even 10% if those that survived the 1st year or two then reach breeding age, thats 3K additional that can help re-populate stocks.

Regardless of how you cut it, that surely is a positive move in a sector which historically has not seen much love.

Imagine if they make this an annual program over the next 10 years.

It's nice to hear we've acted swiftly to get the first step sorted with the fingerlings (just over 12 months) 👏. expected this to be released just as the ban finished 😆

Hopefully our government can take a leaf out of the Vic book (in banning all commercial net fishing of Port Phillip Bay) and do something similar here in our gulfs and passages. Perhaps going one step further and ban long lining in these zones also.

I don't have an issue with charters with in these zones, but maybe put a stricter limit especially to the larger snapper above 80cm. Maybe 2 fish max per boat above 80cm as well as a minimum 25% cut to their limits.
Your paying to go on a charter for the experience as well as catching some fish to take home for a feed (not a month worth of food so to speak).

That's my 2 cents. 

SA Gulfs.JPG

5 hours ago, keenfisho said:

It’s a good start but I wonder how many will survive? They are only 6cm at release

also until the government completely ban long lining it will not matter how many fingerlings they release because as soon as the ban lifts in 2023 the pros will just go back to their old ways and smash the snapper again

now, if the 500k worth of fingerlings, becomes 1.5 million in return once they grow and overall biomass increases then doesnt everyone win?

its like the kingfish pens on a larger scale but boosting a fish stock which would be that abundant if not fished for commercially.

24 minutes ago, Jimmy. said:

now, if the 500k worth of fingerlings, becomes 1.5 million in return once they grow and overall biomass increases then doesnt everyone win?

its like the kingfish pens on a larger scale but boosting a fish stock which would be that abundant if not fished for commercially.

Keyword there IF...

These fingerlings will not reach sexual maturity for another 3-4 years.

That's 3-4 years of avoiding predators, nets etc. 

So you're still relying on the 'original' stocks by the time the ban is lifted again.

Agree with Savage IF

Yes @Jimmy. IF it goes well

but you mention the kingfish, these fingerlings will be enjoyed by the kingfish

i hope nobody took my comment that I’m against it, just need to look at the overall picture of not just snapper stocks but all species and the way everything has been managed is far far from ideal, also not much point in any restocking if the long liners are given full access again after the ban, it is why we now have a ban

Well at least they are doing something albeit a drip in the ocean. Its all about perception but in the long run, longlining needs to be banned to stop the rape & pillage - simple as that. This is not restocking IMO. No where near enough being released if this is what they think will help!!. This should have started when the ban came in & many, many, many more thousands. We will see what happens. Is this just a once off or an ongoing project? Who will monitor this....etc. etc.

I have been sounding several pro grounds as I pass them in GSV since the ban & have generally seen plenty of fish schooled up so from my observations, the numbers seem to be good on most grounds. 

Just more food for the hungry new zealand fur seal.On kangaroo island alone there is estimated 100,000 of them and studies have shown that they can consume around 500 ton per day of fish stocks,not to mention the penguin and pelican population that have been decimated by these cute little cuddly creatures.On a recent trip to Vincent we counted 11 of them on the breakwater and after talking to the local pro squid fishers they have put a huge dent in the local stocks.As their numbers continue to grow and a government that does not have the balls to take on the greenies we can expect to see less and less fish stocks in both of our Gulfs.And as usual the rec fisherman will be blamed.

The thing with that argument is fishing around KI is rated as very good still. I'd be taking anything a pro fisher told me with a bag of salt, and the neighbour fished Vincent area at Xmas and bagged out on most fish including squid. I'm not saying fur seal numbers don't need to be considered but we need to learn to fit within the world instead of thinking it belongs to us entirely. I'd rather the Gov focuses on removing long lines.

9 hours ago, jackmac said:

Just more food for the hungry new zealand fur seal.On kangaroo island alone there is estimated 100,000 of them and studies have shown that they can consume around 500 ton per day of fish stocks,not to mention the penguin and pelican population that have been decimated by these cute little cuddly creatures.On a recent trip to Vincent we counted 11 of them on the breakwater and after talking to the local pro squid fishers they have put a huge dent in the local stocks.As their numbers continue to grow and a government that does not have the balls to take on the greenies we can expect to see less and less fish stocks in both of our Gulfs.And as usual the rec fisherman will be blamed.

Wait on, back up a sec, you do realise the seals, despite the common name, are a native species which was nearly hunted to extinction in the early 1800s and has still not recovered to the previous population level? My understanding (reconfirmed by mr google) is that their diet is primarily mass schooling fish and squid species found off the continental shelf like arrow squid, slimies and tunas, probably because they are more plentiful and easier prey than more dispersed shallower water species.

Put simply the seals are not the problem and my money would be on the primary cause for inshore fish mollusc and crustacean depletion being primarily due to overfishing and habitat destruction which are both to a large extent caused by pro fishermen. As it happens science would tend to agree with me.

I really don't see why pro fishing of all types, but particularly the more destructive practices like netting and long lining are allowed to continue given how effective and successful aquaculture is these days, certainly at the very least it needs to be a much more effectively policed and regulated industry.

Over the years I've personally witnessed pro fishermen rape and pillage breeding congregations of fish, flooding the market and causing the price of fish to bottom right out, their solution? Catch more fish! Yet when the fishing gets tough they never for a second consider, at least out loud, that they might be part of the problem. There is no way I'm taking the word of pros about anything related to fish stocks.

Net boats regularly haul seagrass beds along our gulf shallows decimating stocks, destroying habitat and helping to clog the place up with rafts of seagrass. I watched in early November last year as 3 boats were running back and forth between Pt Wakefield and just north of Ardrossan all day, god knows how many tons of YFW, mullet and tommies they smashed, not to mention all the bycatch, mainly juveniles of various species, chucked back dead they were responsible for on that day alone and I'm pretty sure I  can tell you what caused the enormous blanket of weed that pushed up the gulf with the tide..... not seals.

I'm sorry if this offends in anyway, that is truly not my intention, but to blame depleted fish stocks on a still recovering population of seals which nearly went extint due to "pro" sealers is at best misinformed and ludicrous, at worst it is downright dangerous. We only need to look to the USA to see where misinformation being treated as fact can lead, certainly not better fish stocks that's for sure. 

Finally please note I am certainly not one of these aforementioned greenies, I do reckon seals are kind of cool but I do not disagree with taking sensible population regulation measures if scientifically supported, trust in science and observation, not anecdotal opinions from people with a vested interest.

All good points and no I’m not offended in any way but don’t compare me to that wanker in the USA .My concern is with the decrease in natural predators namely the great white what’s to say in the next 20 years that population doesn’t get out of control.I remember a time when carp weren’t a problem in the Murray river but with the demise of a natural predator with the Murray cod being fished out the rest is history.Although I’m a fisherman my passion is not fish I just love catching them to eat my passion is birds.How long before the fairy penguins are extinct here in SA and the devastation they are causing to the bird life in the coorong we need some sort of balance.We let hunters shoot our national animal the beautiful kangaroo for food and to control their numbers and I think it’s just a matter of time before there is a need to do the same with seals , not in my life time because I’m an old bugger but time will tell.

On the subject of the pro fisherman they pay big money for the right to do it it’s their livelihood.We all sit down to a feed of local prawns and crayfish for our Christmas dinner.They don’t just fall out of the sky and I believe all south Australians have the right to enjoy our natural resources not just the fortunate with boats .If not for the pro fisher how does that happen do we all buy boats ?? .YEh I don’t think that’s going to work

I stopped being able to eat crays and prawns at Xmas a long time ago - and that's half the problem, they are so expensive some people stretch the budget and 'treat' themselves just once a year, and the rest of the time our natural resources are exported. I agree that the "natural resources" should be able to be enjoyed by all, but snapper are were catchable on a $30 rod/reel combo from shore.