Inspired by a frustration of not being able to buy lures in the colours I want (popular = sold out) and also wanting to tweak some designs, and by the need to build something to understand it, I have foolishly picked up yet another hobby.

I was going to start with wooden lures as I'm already set up for those, but the fear of mucking up the paint job on a wooden lure that I've spent hours on I decided to start with blank plastics which are very cheap.

eg. A bent minnow copy is about $2

image.png.fe7fc796fa1fd9d0151a77270c70161c.png

BTW, it's not a great copy, the Chinese penchant for price ahead of attention to detail means the centre eye is a piss poor screw in so I had to make a new eye, drill a suitable hole and epoxy it in. The surface is not textured like a bent minnow, but I have a solution for that down the track. None of these lures are tuned either.

Anyway, they are good for painting practice. I bought a cheap airbrush, tweaked it a little per youtube and voila I got a semi reasonable result and learned a heap in the process.  I especially learned that the less than optimal epoxy from AMC doesn't flow all that well and despite using a rotisserie and a heat gun it was hard to get a smooth surface.

So here's the early attempts.

image.png.416042f5beaaf2f08f1306b211df97bd.png

Happy with the yabby. The earlier version I realized was more coloured like a cooked yabby :)

image.png.bbd6e84ccb8c0bea0135a15c59bd4063.png

But perhaps fish like cooked ones too 🤣.

Having enough fun that I may invest in a better airbrush.

I've done a bulk order of crankbaits to practice painting on, which I will likely sell at cost if someone is looking for a specific pattern:

image.png.a3a515c22584b4b1eeec724d40e676b4.png

On 06/02/2021 at 3:46 PM, keenfisho said:

Looking good mate, let me know on the crank baits, I can never have enough lure candy

I'll post up excess down the track, certainly will be doing some 'no longer available' Daiwa RPM brown craw inspired, but anything else people can no longer buy but have a desire for would be a good challenge. One of my aims is to paint up our own local SA bait fish so trying to match a design is good practice.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, doobie said:

And a squid on the lure - stupid squid :lol: 

Oh I dunno, it's as sexy as hell.

2 hours ago, Softy said:

Nice work! Gotta be a pretty good feeling catching them on your own lures!

Yeah, it's extremely satisfying, especially as I tweaked the design of the middle hook eye and it held on a ~40cm salmon spinning me 720 degrees on the yak - it's interesting the salmon mostly hit the centre hooks too.

Oh I forgot, the other thing I almost caught on the pished pilly, but glad I didn't, was an albatross. It picked up the lure on the surface and flew off, I thought oh shit and wondered whether to jerk the line or not but it dropped it after a few seconds. I thought it must have worked out it wasn't a fish but as soon as it hit the water it dived back after it and I had to crank fast lol. Then again, I could have found out what flavour albatross is 🤣

• 1 month later...

Mass production! A school of pished pillies :)

image.png.75b44a227870fa99a79cd2cb57212e45.png

Why so many? Well I am marketing them as a fashion accessory, catches fishies and the ladies!

image.png.0e230129a9b6d3eb552f101c2fe25d49.png

I think I've found a clear coat I like but it takes a week to set so it's yet to be proven but it's way better than the other epoxy I tried. Marine varnish was a complete failure for durability, hook rash was terrible.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Got some vibes ready for the salmon if the flys don't get out far enough. 28g. painted with colourshift. Regret the black splatters, done to break it up and look a tad more real, but should have done in sepia so not so contrasty.

image.png.de8ca7888f5aefcf43c3b2257cc0d010.png

A bit lighter and smaller

image.png.59610b8f6ee4e8d518e9062e8e08f26d.png

These lures kinda hard to photograph in the dark arvo, this is quite chartreuse with subtle green scales

image.png.03fa4ba6649085bd1a3a60cb3c2951ae.png

And some gold for variety

image.png.1edbb2278813408372184348a61cb2a9.png

• 4 weeks later...

Bored in lockdown, so some brag posts showing me lurid lures (tm) landed fish.

image.png.e74f48c8004de85688ae7187341fd71e.png

This is a nice vibe, I don't know if or what it's a ripoff of, but casts very well and vibrates really nice. Shit in weed though as the nose rakes it up. The pished pilly colour was lost to rocks.

image.png.1ae0736f5186b5acff5d3169e8b9080d.png

A bit less vibration on this guy, more suited to deeper water than the surf I think where you can teabag a bit and really work it.

Was really interesting that the fly rod laded bigger fish easier because the entire length of the rod is taking load compared to the top half of the spin rod, which was a 6-12kg medium heavy action.

Green lure is 88mm, blue is 72mm if you're trying to work out the salmon size. I didn't measure a single fish with was a tad stupid :)

7 minutes ago, Soobz said:

Bored in lockdown, so some brag posts showing me lurid lures (tm) landed fish.

image.png.e74f48c8004de85688ae7187341fd71e.png

This is a nice vibe, I don't know if or what it's a ripoff of, but casts very well and vibrates really nice. Shit in weed though as the nose rakes it up. The pished pilly colour was lost to rocks.

image.png.1ae0736f5186b5acff5d3169e8b9080d.png

A bit less vibration on this guy, more suited to deeper water than the surf I think where you can teabag a bit and really work it.

Was really interesting that the fly rod laded bigger fish easier because the entire length of the rod is taking load compared to the top half of the spin rod, which was a 6-12kg medium heavy action.

Green lure is 88mm, blue is 72mm if you're trying to work out the salmon size. I didn't measure a single fish with was a tad stupid :)

I had to tell myself it’s lockdown you can’t go fishing and the weather is rubbish . Me thinks I may try a vibe again . Good fish by the way and yes the ones on fly were bigger that I saw pictures of . Yes I’m bored from not fishing I need to prowl the water lol

On 30/06/2021 at 5:21 PM, Soobz said:

Got some vibes ready for the salmon if the flys don't get out far enough. 28g. painted with colourshift. Regret the black splatters, done to break it up and look a tad more real, but should have done in sepia so not so contrasty.

image.png.de8ca7888f5aefcf43c3b2257cc0d010.png

A bit lighter and smaller

image.png.59610b8f6ee4e8d518e9062e8e08f26d.png

These lures kinda hard to photograph in the dark arvo, this is quite chartreuse with subtle green scales

image.png.03fa4ba6649085bd1a3a60cb3c2951ae.png

And some gold for variety

image.png.1edbb2278813408372184348a61cb2a9.png

Looking at these again the green one brings back memories of me landing bream and STs on flies roughly that colour . Could be a killer on the fish .