Egi rod as light surf?

Does anyone use an "Egi" rod as a light surf rod? I've got a 10'6 surf rod that casts a mile and is reasonably capable as a light tackle rod ie. for pan fish, but a tad heavy to be casting a lot. I'm thinking I need (not want, neeed) a lighter weight rod for land fishing where I need a slight more casting distance when targeting smaller fish and squidlies from land. I'm purely guessing an egi rod is fairly lightweight? Something around 8'6-9' similar to my Infeet 732 LFS I reckon might be good, but it's just a theory. I'm after peoples thoughts and suggestions.

Yep.

I've used a Samaki Egi Inked 8'6 rod for the last 5 yrs. Really light weight and casts a mile.

Best all round rod I've ever used. I've caught squid, tommy's, YFW, gar, mullet, salmon up to 5kg, KGW, bream, drummer + more. The salmon took a while but the rod handled it.

I've used it off the beach, rocks, wading and boat fishing comfortably. Great rod in my opinion. Will definitely get another one when this one dies.

Hope this helps. Tight lines. 

Yeah its definitely worth it. I've got a cheapish Rovex 8'6 squid rod and I've used it for salmon, mullet, squid, flathead, whiting, bream and garfish. I've matched it with 2500 - 4000 sized reels and they seem to balance well. It's only 70 dollars from BCF as well.

I use it mainly off the beach, rocks and wading. It casts decently well with light line

• 2 months later...

Been regularly testing out rods but pulled the trigger today with Tackleworld having 20% off everything not already on special. A new Samaki Zing Egi Gen3 8'6 - this is the replacement for their Inked.

Hard to compare rods in store, the Emeraldas was nice but I thought perhaps a tad too light for an all rounder and $80 more. The NS Black Hole seemed good but not a brand I was familiar with. The Okuma Egi rod was cool, I want a white rod,  but at 8'2 shorter than fit the needs and not all that cheap. I almost went with the AirdX 9' which was a bit meatier than I was aiming for but I reckon for a lightweight salmon rod would rock, so would the Samaki Zing G3 9' 8-15lb (the Egi is 6-12).

Found my old solid fibreglass 9' rod from 35 years ago, man does it weigh a ton but it'd land pretty much anything if you could feel the bite or hold it long enough lol.

I'm looking at doing the same thing. I've ordered a Daiwa Legalis LEGSD902LBF. It's an import that I picked up cheap.

https://www.daiwa-france.com/products/rods/legalis-squid-8.

Rod should arrive in a week.

It's only rated from #2.0 to #3.0 jigs (5-15gms), but that's fine as I also have an Atomic Arrowz AAE-83ML for #2.5-#4.0 jigs.

9 foot rod that weighs 125gms and can easily throw a 10gm Halco twisty or #3.0 squid jigs jigs.

• 4 months later...