Gars are a fish that responds very well to the surface slick that tuna oil makes

you can see there little beaks sniffing their way along the slick from a long way away

when I used to fish for them, I’d make sure I had tuna oil in my bread crumb burley and that I kept an unbroken slick trail going over the water. Some days that slick would stretch for 100’s of metres but they seemed to know, they have to follow trail up wind or up current to find the source. 

another bonus of a tuna oil slick, is it calms the surface of the water down creating a clear window to look through

I use chicken pellets also - about $14 for 5kg bag from Petbarn, but there was a 'budget' bag a bit cheaper, just not showing on their site.

The night before, I put cheap Bran and Tuna oil into a container with the pellets to soak it all up.

I fill a burley bucket with about 1/3 of the pellet mix (as they swell up in the water, you don't want to fill the bucket too much).

Any remaining, I put in a zip lock bag and take along to refill the bucket if necessary.

The pellets have small bits of corn and other bits that wont go thru the bucket slits while in the water once the other particles of the pellets have drifted away.  I keep those and freeze when I get home and can be used next time with just throwing small handfuls in the water also - also use for Mullet, Tommies and/or in burley sinker springs (I also put some old bread in and mix it up to hold it all together).

Or you could just buy the cheap Bran, breadcrumbs and mix with Tuna Oil.   If you make a 'lot' don't leave it in the container on a shelf somewhere - it will go mouldy - dry it out or freeze and use as needed.

Good luck with the Gar and Tommies :) 

Yeah even though berley prep and equipment may seem like a few extra, unpleasant, stinky steps to a relaxing afternoons fishing. 

It’s so worth it.  It can turn a relaxing afternoon with a few nibbles, into a fish catching frenzy

There a very few forms of bait fishing I do, where burley isn’t used

and using a burley cage in amongst a crowd of anglers who aren’t, can make you seem like king of the pier😉

I remember showing my non fishing brother the pulling power of burley for the first time. It was crystal clear water with no fish in it. Then about 15 mins later it was a blood bath when a passing school of salmon dropped by to slaughter all the bait fish that had gathered.

He had already told me I was cheating when all the bait fish turned up. And when the salmon showed up he suggested that berley should Be banned due to its effectiveness😉