Parsons Beach 24 May 2021

Nice video, very windy conditions there too doobie.. Nothing better than hooking a few salmon in the surf, shame you lost more than you landed. The fish you did land was still a nice keeper anyway. When it used to blow from the North that's when I used to fish from the rocks between Waits & Parsons, used to fish well in those conditions as the fish were always in close to the rocks. The strong Northerlies always kept the swell down.. It wasn't all that easy getting to and from the rocks though, but the rewards were worth the effort.. Still I was a lot younger back then too..😃 Doubt I'd do it now days..

cheers

Adrian..

Congratulations Doobie -- it's a brilliant video !
The music was great too -- I half expected Tom Cruise (or some other heart throb) to come bounding up the beach with his rod held at the "high port". (Non-military types can ask "Mr Google" for an explanation.)
To benefit the "newbies" like me that frequent this website, it would be really great to learn a bit more from time to time about the gear that the "good guys" are able to use successfully in situations like this one.

5 hours ago, Meppstas said:

Nice video, very windy conditions there too doobie.. Nothing better than hooking a few salmon in the surf, shame you lost more than you landed. The fish you did land was still a nice keeper anyway. When it used to blow from the North that's when I used to fish from the rocks between Waits & Parsons, used to fish well in those conditions as the fish were always in close to the rocks. The strong Northerlies always kept the swell down.. It wasn't all that easy getting to and from the rocks though, but the rewards were worth the effort.. Still I was a lot younger back then too..😃 Doubt I'd do it now days..

cheers

Adrian..

Thanks Adrian.

It was a nice keeper and crumbed with Panko tonight for tea :)

Even back in your day :) it would have still been a little dangerous on those rocks - but a Northerly would have helped sooth the soul of no real breakers hitting those rocks.

I'd like to try the rocks on that point, but am not game lol - I have done the far end Parsons rocks/cliff but even then I was still 'concerned' and didn't cast more than a dozen times before I felt enough was enough :lol: 

21 hours ago, FECB said:

Congratulations Doobie -- it's a brilliant video !
The music was great too -- I half expected Tom Cruise (or some other heart throb) to come bounding up the beach with his rod held at the "high port". (Non-military types can ask "Mr Google" for an explanation.)
To benefit the "newbies" like me that frequent this website, it would be really great to learn a bit more from time to time about the gear that the "good guys" are able to use successfully in situations like this one.

Thanks FECB :)

I didn't see any Tom Cruise bounding towards in the 'high point' position (luckily lol) - although a girl a use to know always thought I looked like Tom :lol:  I helped her cross a street and handed her white stick back ;) 

The gear I use - being nothing fancy - is a 11' Daiwa Seabass - Shimano Sienna FB4000 reel with mono backing topped with 15lb (cheap) braid, then swivel, then about 1 - 1/2 m of 20lb mono leader, the swivel and lure.

I only use 40g lures (rarely a 50g and only if wind is in my face) with a single hook (I always take off the trebles as they either grab weed if it is around and/or can be a little difficult to get a treble out of the fish).

There are many combinations others may use - many use much lighter gear, but generally cast a shorter distance - I like to be able to cast further out to get a better chance of a hit when retrieving. I can on average cast around 80m on a calm day but with wind at my back a 100m cast is achievable. (but maybe 50-60m if fresh wind is in my face lol)

1 hour ago, doobie said:

Thanks Adrian.

It was a nice keeper and crumbed with Panko tonight for tea :)

Even back in your day :) it would have still been a little dangerous on those rocks - but a Northerly would have helped sooth the soul of no real breakers hitting those rocks.

I'd like to try the rocks on that point, but am not game lol - I have done the far end Parsons rocks/cliff but even then I was still 'concerned' and didn't cast more than a dozen times before I felt enough was enough :lol: 

Fair enough doobie, if you're not comfortable with fishing from the rocks then don't do it, like I always say, "No fish is worth drowning for ".. I was used to it as I was a regular rock fisher back in my younger days right up until we moved to Tassie. Stick with what you know best mate..👍

57 minutes ago, Tinker said:

Ever used blades in the suds Doobie?

Used them with success at the bottom of Yorkes at Suicide Point.

Also used smaller versions at St Kilda and Outer Harbour breakwall.

Agree with swapping the trebles with singles...less stress.

Sent from my SM-J120ZN using Tapatalk

yah never Tinker.

What would you recommend/suggest (have a birthday coming up, so might as well have others buy them for me lol)