How to cook crabs?

I was wondering how long I should cook blue crabs, I looked it up on google and could not get a straight answer, most of them want to pollute the pot with all kinds of herbs, spices and other crap. And even the cooking time is all over the place. Years ago I use boil them in an old stainless steal laundry trough, but I forget for how long

3 hours ago, jackmac said:

Bring sea water to the boil add crabs and when it comes back to the boil set timer for 8 minutes… I then like to drop into ice water to set the meat or eat them hot what ever you prefer

This plus keep them upside-down the whole time and it will keep the guts separate from the meat and make em heaps easier to clean.

9 hours ago, gregtech said:

I've gone from cooking whole crab to backing them (removing shell and guts/lungs) before cooking.

Way cleaner process and drops cook time by 1 min. 

7min after return to boil and mandatory plunge in iced seawater to set meat as Jackmac said👍

I do the same Greg , but I steam my crabs , then on ice , way better flavour , and no flavour lost in the water .