Hi I was wondering if anyone here uses bait elastic? I have been thinking about trying to pump some nippers, for KG whiting fishing from a boat. But I  keep hearing they don't stay on the hook very well. I was thinking of trying to use bait elastic to keep the nippers on longer. Has any one here tried it on live nippers?

I've thought about using bait elastic on nippers but never bothered.

Mainly because I'm only casting say around 7 metres from the shore and have enough nippers to re-bait quickly.

Nippers are a great bait for whiting.

From a boat like you'll be doing, I understand the frustration of dropping the bait down the side and before it's maybe hit bottom the nipper has be attacked and of course you strike and more than likely the nipper has come off (being soft flesh) or eaten and you need to retrieve straight away.

The other thing with elastic is there is that little bit more plastic in the ocean, unless you get biodegradable.

With my nippers to help hold on a bit longer is to put a couple half hitches around the tail end - it does help a bit, but of course once the nipper has been attacked a few times by the YFW, the nipper can look a bit mangled.

However, I think bait elastic would certainly help in reducing the amount of re-baiting.

Thanks Doobie,  I could quickly compensate for any pollution by picking up a couple of bits of rubbish on the waters edge, so I am not really to worried about that side of it. The other thing that I have been thinking about (I do over think things :)) is I have read that fish take nippers and prawns from the tail end as it help them swallow them. The way most people put a nipper on a hook, the hooks backwards when it goes into their mouth and the lines in the way. I am thinking of trying putting the hook through the meaty part of the tail from the bottom up, just once, then running the shank of the hook up between the legs on the out side and securing it around the body with elastic. This puts the eye of the hook at the head end and the hook facing the right way if its taken from the tail. As well as hopefully keeping the nipper alive longer. I have not had a chance to give it a try and I know it will take more time,  but maybe less time than rebaiting, or not knowing if you still have bait on the hook.

Interested in testing out that hook rigging technique using shrimp and yabbies on freshwater natives.

Pin through the mouth and pop the hook out on top of the carapace at the back of the head.

It will kill the crustacean but should make a good bait presentation.

Sent from my SM-J120ZN using Tapatalk

I have used nippers on a couple of occasions at Vincent at the Julia spit .My method is to use them on the slow end of the tide on a lightly weighted running rig with a size 4 fine gauge circle hook.I hook them through the end of the tail once exposing the hook,and gently casting.Big whiting love them and i have hooked some monster salmon up there aswell.If the nippers are only small you can put 2 on it works great.