Happy Days ..... Heyyyy

One of my mates was telling me today how he caught salmon at St Kilda on a sinking fly cast in the middle of the school.

Got me thinking about trying it myself in a few weeks when they really get hungry.

Long walk out for them at St Kilda. And I have best results with little Spanyid Raiders and weedless soft plastic minnows so would most likely stick with those.

But keen to get one on fly also.

Sent from my SM-J120ZN using Tapatalk

On 21/06/2021 at 4:37 PM, Soobz said:

Apparently Clousers and Deceivers are the go for this trip, possibly surf candy, or so I am informed by those much more knowledgeable :)

I'll be happy if I can cast into the zone.

Will you be using sinking line or floating line . Iirc I used to use a 6 weight . 

6 minutes ago, Soobz said:

Sinking and an 8wt.

My old days 10 or 11 years ago that was to heavy for bream . But your chasing salmon . Flies with green in them used to work well on either species . I got tired of tying them badly or they didn’t look good did work though . Hopefully there’s a wind iirc fish took flies better with waves on the water ( they do with lures to )

1 minute ago, Mickyj said:

My old days 10 or 11 years ago that was to heavy for bream . But your chasing salmon . Flies with green in them used to work well on either species . I got tired of tying them badly or they didn’t look good did work though . Hopefully there’s a wind iirc fish took flies better with waves on the water ( they do with lures to )

I can’t recall the fly I finished using on bream on the surface took it from a Aussie fly fishing forum . The fly would float and bream loved it the smaller the bream hitting it the sound was like a gun shot . Iirc it had a foam material used behind wood panels . I messaged the guy who gave the design out funniest  thing he said it was a joke and was shocked that I got legal bream on it :) 

3 minutes ago, Soobz said:

Yeah 6wt for bream would be about right, a 1-2kg salmon would be a very long fight plus the 6 wt would have trouble with a decent sized surf fly.

I hope no wind lol, but the spinning gear is going as a backup.

Probably but I’m a strange fisher I want a bigger fish on lighter gear . But that’s me . Hopefully unlike on hardbodies salmon will take the same flies in different locations . I’ve got hardbodies that’s STs will swallow at the Pat but bigger salmon in west lakes won’t even be Interested in .

I know St Kilda is a bit of a hike but if I wanted a salmon on fly I would seriously consider pulling on the waders and heading out on a high tide at the crack of dawn.

Low wind would be an advantage but at the end of the breakwater you can fish both sides and cast with it.

Sent from my SM-J120ZN using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...