Squid jag colours

Hi I have been trying to research catching squid, to improve my chances on a bad day, there are hundreds of articles and videos on line. There is an almost unlimited array of colours,  patterns, features and manufacturers, as well as techniques. One of the interesting things is Squid are colour blind, yet colours are so important. I have been watching old black and white movies and there is an unlimited amount of different shade, that represent different colours.  Apparently this why squid are attracted to different colours despite not seeing them as we do. For the older Fishos out there who can remember watching The Munsters in black and white, Herman Munster was actually wearing bright violet make up as it caught the light, even though he was supposed to be a shade of green,  there is evidence that squid see bright violet in deeper water than any other colour.

herms.jpg

Squid see light and dark colours only more like black and white,i'll usually start the day with the two lightest coloured jigs on two rods then progress to the two darkest colours.Can mix colours too this is why carrying a range in sizes and colours improves the catch rate.The other thing is how the jigs are worked in the water to get there attention for hook ups,i'll bring them through the water as a distressed fish not as a drifting prawn.

White is the colour i use no matter what conditions.One of the most important things is getting the weight just right and having the jag as close to the bottom as possible.Slow and even dodge tides are best in my opinion.I dont over work the jig but i like to cover as much ground as possible by casting as far up current as possible and let it drift back a in a large arc.I always keep a jig ready when fishing for whiting or snaps as squid will often follow up a hooked fish.On a recent trip to emu bay on KI we sat on a small whiting patch and with 4 on board we landed our bag limit of 30 in very short time and also landed 30 squid by using this method..My number one rule i live by when fishing is dont over complicate it.

I like jigs that either reflect UV light (fluorescent) or glow (photoluminescent). Some jigs even combine fluorescent and photoluminescent elements.

Aside from colour, try rattle jigs. Of the rattle jigs I like the Daiwa Emeraldas Gold Goma Saba.

One jig I own, I really want to hate because I think it's ugly, but it has been very successful is a Duel Dartmaster. It combines fluorescence, photoluminescence and rattle. Last weekend I went to Brighton jetty for a quick flick. It was packed as usual but no one was catching any squid. I was having no luck and after 20 mins I put the ugly Dartmaster on and second cast I landed a nice big winter squid. I then packed up my gear and went home!

Gold Goma Saba.jpg

Duel Dart Master.png

I try and keep it simple when squidding so ill change through a few colours (mainly white, silvery baitfish colour, green, gold) if i have to but i try not to. Changing colours too much does more bad than good sometimes as you end up too focused on the colours and not focused enough on actually working the jig. Most of the time for me its not colours to be reason the squid aren't biting, its usually the way your working the jig or the spot that your fishing. 

any way in saying that i have found that the Shimano Sephia clinch flash boost jigs with the inbuilt flash are really good, even when the squid are a bit shut down.

On 21/06/2021 at 6:57 PM, doobie said:

I always like the red head / white body - have caught more with that than any other colour.

The professional's choice.

I really like the new Daiwa Emeraldas nude range, at around $13 (Tackleworld Adelaide) much cheaper than Yamashita/Shimano. I like that they sink slower because they are designed to allow you to use 3g or 5g weights (or none). They look quite impressive IRL too, and the abalone saddle is a nice touch. To be honest I've caught more squid on $2 jigs than the expensive ones but they fall apart faster, mostly, but they also don't bring tears when you get a bad snag.