Yes, I've got a couple. I mainly use the Mick's Jiggers, which are from a local guy who gets them through Rui). The pink, yellow and KGW ones are amazing. I still have a couple of yellow yamashita's but have moved away from the more expensive yozuri's - which I used to use exclusively.

Rui is a great guy and stands by his products. They do work and they last as well :)

David

I have a squid jig addiction and currently have jigs by Yamashita, Daiwa, Shimano, Duel (YoZuri) and Rui. I like the Rui jigs quite a bit. Overall the jigs are not quite the same quality as the Daiwa, but they would be close to the others. What sets the Rui jigs apart is the wide range of colours and size and how readily available they are at a good price.

In the Rui jigs I really like the red head and this is the only brand of red head I buy (I use it a lot so have to replace it a couple of time each year due to snags). I've also had a lot of success with the mullet and one that looks a bit like a tiger prawn called KR54 UV Glow. In the past I would buy the Yamashita mullet looking jig, but no longer bother and just buy the Rui. I don't think I will buy Yamashita again.

The one down side to Rui jigs, is the limited range of rattle jigs.

I've always had quick deliveries from Rui. I prefer to order direct from his website rather than through EvilBay.

If I could no longer cheaply buy Daiwa etc from overseas, I'd be perfectly happy to buy just Rui jigs.

41 minutes ago, TENNANT said:

Thanks MAH That is very helpful information. Have you given the KG and sand Whiting ones a go? They are the fish I target, while I am squiding,  seems to make sense to use what they are use to eating.

No, I haven't used those. I haven't found that you need to match the hatch with too much with squid.

28 minutes ago, MAH said:

No, I haven't used those. I haven't found that you need to match the hatch with too much with squid.

I mostly buy 3 or 3.5 for fishing from the boat and a few 2.5 for shallow water, I notice RUi have 4s, they don't put the sink rate on the site, but I presume they sink faster and for stronger current? I was thinking of getting a few for deeper water. I'm sometimes in 6 to 8 metres.

I stick with 3 and 3.5 jigs. I've got some in both sizes that a specifically for shallow water which have a slower sink rate. But for heavier jigs I just add weight to a standard jig. You can do this simply by putting a 3gm or 5gm ball sinker on your leader just above the swivel. Or better use specific sinkers that you can clip to the front of the jig. I use Nakazima sinkers. Rui sells sinkers for his jigs. I like adding weight rather than heavier jigs, so I can use any of the jigs I already have.

I tried Rui, no more resilient than the $5 jobbies, after 1 session the cloth needed to be glued back on. At $13 for Daiwa Emeraldas or Rui I reckon Rui aint in the running for my $. Bought the last lot of jigs from tackledirect168 on evilbay, very cheap at $3, and seem decently made compare to 'Neptune Tackle" crappies, but we'll see how well they last/perform.

Recently out squidding had a lady in white bikini on a yak circling around me, I know I am pretty irresistible but she proceeded to tell me she'd lost her new (expensive I assume) squid jig and she was not stalking me :), she paddled off and no joke as soon as she was out of yelling range (I tested this) I found her jig. Sadly I could not snag it and lost sight of it as soon as I got turned by the breeze. If I'd had my white bikini on I could have dived in after it.

13 hours ago, Soobz said:

I tried Rui, no more resilient than the $5 jobbies, after 1 session the cloth needed to be glued back on. At $13 for Daiwa Emeraldas or Rui I reckon Rui aint in the running for my $. Bought the last lot of jigs from tackledirect168 on evilbay, very cheap at $3, and seem decently made compare to 'Neptune Tackle" crappies, but we'll see how well they last/perform.

Recently out squidding had a lady in white bikini on a yak circling around me, I know I am pretty irresistible but she proceeded to tell me she'd lost her new (expensive I assume) squid jig and she was not stalking me :), she paddled off and no joke as soon as she was out of yelling range (I tested this) I found her jig. Sadly I could not snag it and lost sight of it as soon as I got turned by the breeze. If I'd had my white bikini on I could have dived in after it.

Sounds fishy to me!

Thought I would clarify, that when I was talking about the quality of Rui jigs in comparison to other brands I should have been clear that I was comparing with the basic models from these companies. So when I think of Rui vs Yamashita it's the Yamashita Egi Sutte R I have in mind, and in my opinion Rui is the better product.

These are a couple of the Rui jigs I have. The cloth on them is very good, if it it has a foil underneath they are nice and vibrant, the double crown hooks are a good quality and don't rust (I wash my jigs in fresh water after every outing), the attachment point is solid and they have a good shape meaning they fall well and dart well.

On the orange jig you can see a couple of spots where the cloth is damaged, but this is just normal wear from being attacked by a big squid. I had this jig under a float when it was damaged. In my experience, jigs tend to show more damage when used under a float probably because I don't notice them as quickly because I'm also working a jig on a rod.

IMG_20210706_083351_1.jpg.15d98d53c137f0a2227157bd0a41ca2d.jpg

IMG_20210706_083403_2.jpg.5e8f3b694a1dc00ea8c446a8cbda2ff5.jpg

IMG_20210706_083418_1.jpg.abc1e5fb4ca973a3ebb82499074f9e34.jpg

When compared to other brands higher end models, the Rui jigs are not to the same standard. Below is a YoZuri jig. I think the basic YoZuri jigs are very overpriced, but some of the other jigs like the one below are excellent. It doesn't show in the photo, but this jig has a very sparkly shimmer that I haven't seen in the Rui jigs I've bought. It also has a rattle. There is a wire that goes around the sinker, which YoZuri calls a snagless sinker. Unlike most jigs it doesn't have feather like fins, but rather solid rubber like fins that glow in the dark. This particular jig is phosphorescent (glow in the dark), whilst others in the same range are fluorescent (reflect back whilst under UV light). On their own, these elements don't make these jigs better than Rui jigs, but it's the combination.

I wouldn't buy a standard YoZuri jig, but, I really like the higher end jigs.

IMG_20210706_083723_2.jpg.a614694974cd12f22942202fbf31421c.jpg

Thanks MAH, I ordered both of theses yesterday and 8 other, I am keen on trying  the KG whiting and the sand whiting, Squid have been around since the Jurassic I figure by now they must know what the fish they eat look like,  I don't hear a lot of people using them, every one is mad on pink.

The jigs below are Diawa jigs and they are superb. The attention to detail is probably the best in the jigs I own. The quality of the cloth, the excellent paint jobs underneath, the variation in colour of the feathers and flush set eyes all add up to a high quality jig. Both of these jigs are rattle jigs. The green jig is a glow in the dark jig, but its a bit muted compared to the Rui red head. The Daiwa jigs have their tow point set horizontally compared to vertically for most jigs and I find it's a bit harder to put on and take of a snap like a Breaden snap. The jigs have a really nice fall and dart. They are some of my favourite jigs.

IMG_20210706_083635_2.jpg.7a1930ef774f62e634b4611d2e4229e8.jpg

IMG_20210706_083622_1.jpg.f6b76f976f9f667dc4f6d34a707dbe34.jpg

Last one is a Yamashita jig. This is from the OH K range. It's an excellent quality jig. Really nice fine cloth which supposedly holds heat better and is more attractive to squid. It doesn't show up in the photo but it has a reflective lateral line, much a fish. At the rear you can see a small clear plastic "keel" or hydro-fin as YoZuri call it. Supposedly this helps stabilise the fall and point the  jig into any current. Other subtle elements are the additional balance weights at the top of the barbs and the holes in the keel weight which give additional points for attaching sinkers and allow you to vary how it sinks. I have this particular jig in both standard and shallow versions.

IMG_20210706_083706_1.jpg.bef944598ffa27214999ae9f95bb183c.jpg

The jigs I've posted are all pretty pricey in Australia and I wouldn't buy them if I couldn't get a really good price from Japanese online stores. Problem is you need to buy in bulk to get the shipping free, normally about US$100/AUD$135. It's a lot of money upfront but OK if you have mates or if you are buying a few squid jigs, a couple of poppers, some minnows, vibes and some soft plastics. This is what I do, stock up on a range of items, buying doubles of a few favourites as you know you will lose some to snags. Then when I need to replace some jigs one or two at a time, I buy Rui jigs, until it's time again for a big order.

On 06/07/2021 at 2:24 PM, MAH said:

The jigs I've posted are all pretty pricey in Australia and I wouldn't buy them if I couldn't get a really good price from Japanese online stores. Problem is you need to buy in bulk to get the shipping free, normally about US$100/AUD$135.

Any particular Japanese online stores you'd recommend MAH?

Cheers