Livebaiting Port and West Lakes

Hey,Just wondering if anyone can give me and hints and spots to livebait for Mulloway around the Port River and West Lakes land based. Also, any spots I can get to with my tinnie it would be appreciated.I tried fishing on the right hand side of Birkenhead Bridge on the Fishermans wharf side but caught just small bream and could not get anything to use for livebait. I was going to pop a live bream out for livebait but didn't know if they would be any good down there for Mulloway. I know they are a good bait in the Onk for Mulloway.Also, is the best technique throwing an unweighted livebait out under a float, without a float or with a running sinker close to the bottom?Thanks,Billy

I wouldnt personally use bream as live bait, they are not much good. If I were you Id be looking at trying to catch some trumpeters, mullet or gar. These fish are much better live bait! Haven't really got many runs in the port river but in the lake it doesnt really matter where you fish as mullies are located all around the lake. We have had runs before from many different locations, just have to get out there and give it a shot!Cheersbaldy

Saltiga when me and some friends were going for mulloway non stop in westlakes during the holiday we would rock up to spot at about 4pm burley up hard with pellets,bread,currypowder ect then fish with mince meat for bait to try catching mullet and trumpeters which were kept alive in a fish palice. The mulloway rigs consisted of 1m of black magic 40pd fluro with 2 gamagatsi 4/0 snelled on the end with a lumo bead just above the hook.After catching enough livebaits we would send them out to the lakes drop off and check them every half anhour till we decided to go home...I know this is a long post but hopefully it helps getting you a few mullys best of luck..Tight LinesTD :fishing:

To be honest with you saltiga we put in 58hours for 1 schoolie :icon_lol: which i caught lol.My mates had a few good runs but lost the fish, but it was all fun and we had plenty of laughs which i guess fishing is about hopefully u have better luck than we did ;)Tight LinesTD :fishing: size=320http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/P8mDkN3i__P1010374.jpg[/img]

Guest SuperThahn

Do you want him to catch the fish for you too?Fishing is all about experimenting and not about silver spooning.Dont take offence but at the same time dont expect everything to be told to you. People put in a lot of work and are not going to give out all details

Billymako, whats the deal mate? Why not try a few spots for YOURSELF instead of annoying us.... You should know mate all those photos of YOUR fish you posted on other forums, your a gun fisho ::) ;D ;D Just keep asking though cause there ARE people on forums that can't wait to blab spots out... cause it's not the location, it's the lure ::):laugh: :laugh: So everyone no posting pics with lures in them :icon_lol: or help anyone by mentioning a lure cause your not a real fisherman if you do... OMG :icon_lol: :icon_lol: Sambo

Steady on blokes everyones' gotta start somewhere :icon_lol:Cant blame a bloke for asking. ;)Ive caught Mullies on bream over a pound, Mullies will take 30/ 35 cm brimbos no worries. ;D BIGGER MAYBE :fishing:If fishing livies from a boat run at least a metre of minimum 40 lb leader on a running rig. If fishing the MAIN CHANNEL in the port river set the bait so it sits about a metre or so off the bottom. I like brimbos because they stress out heaps and always head for the bottom. Much less chance of fouling themselves on ya main line :laugh:While trying to locate a decent spot u may wanna drift along the edge of the channel. A mate of mine drifted along the edge of the river and nailed a 50 lber at a specific location, he then went on to nail another 6 fish between 40 and 60 lb in one week at the same location. Mullies can be timid feeders, often they need the livie to really go nuts when the mully approaches them. Some fish will tire quickly and if the mullies are a bit sus they wont nail a bait that isnt ACTIVELY TRYING TO ESCAPE.THEY NEED THE LIVIE TO SHIT ITSELF AND TRY TO ESCAPE TO INSIGHT A STRIKE RESPONSE FROM THEM.IE MAKE SURE YOUR LIVEY IS LIVELY. :fishing: Drifting is an advatage because most fish will nail a bait far more readily if its drifitng with the current as apposed to being nailed to the deck. Good luck Mc dudusOh yeah Sugar wharf and that part of the river is predominantly smaller fish. Heaps of soapies 500gm to about 3kg and some fish up to about about 20 lb / 30lbs. Most of the larger fish are in the main body of the river. Might be a bit early yet, but they are usally here by April.

I'm gonna give away a bit of a secret here, so keep it to yaselves!DOWNRIGGING!It's something commonly used in freshwater, but something overlooked and neglected in the salt, and something which is almost unheard of here in SA.Slow troll (bout 1.5 knots for Mulloway) a livebait about 1m off the bottom of the channel. When a fish takes the bait, it disconnects from the downrigger bomb and you're free to fight the fish unhindered by extra weight.Virtually no-one is doing it here, yet it's a successful method of picking up many species.In the days before sounders/gps this is how the pro's used to find their snapper.Wait till winter and you'll see my little centre console out there going back and forth in the port river, while I sit there cold, miserable and probably wet, exposed to the elements, with no canopy or shelter, waiting endlessly and watching my sounder for that BIG fish to come along, as water drips off my nose and trickles down my back!Fishing, gotta love it! ;D

I do reckon you can make posts without giving away spots but i suppose the port is really only a small system and the spots that hold fish even less,but in my experience only the truly dedicated will pull mulloway consistantly as you have to fish the right time of year,spot and tides and most of all put in the long hours.Saltiga,if you can't catch livies in the port at the moment then your not really trying. cheers brenton

• 8 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...