5 hours ago, Soobz said:

Might not like metal as it might react with the acids or alkalis on their bodies. I know snails have that problem.

Ahhh yeah - I’ve heard of copper strips being used to deter snails

The tin was supposed to offer a collection device so they would go in and stay in

but the results so far suggest im better off just burying hunks of pumpkin on their own

i haven’t checked it in a couple of days so I’ll have a look now and cross my fingers for a miracle…..

ok that’s worse than before - zero worms this time

theres plenty of worms in there so I’ll chuck it back without the tin

4ABBBF1D-4E3E-4B4D-8B4A-E937BCEF09F9.jpeg

05993536-1692-4C6C-AB05-A3E2D0F06C1D.jpeg

C4000193-6093-4270-9340-7BBB91F06CF1.jpeg

When I was a lad my dad kept the worms in an old copper, that use to be used for heating water, it was full of horse poop and table scraps, and had a couple of hessian sacks on the top, when ever we wanted worms, you just wet the sacks, the next day you lifted the sacks and there were hundred, between the sack and the dirt at the top, he swore by tiger worms.

6 hours ago, TENNANT said:

When I was a lad my dad kept the worms in an old copper, that use to be used for heating water, it was full of horse poop and table scraps, and had a couple of hessian sacks on the top, when ever we wanted worms, you just wet the sacks, the next day you lifted the sacks and there were hundred, between the sack and the dirt at the top, he swore by tiger worms.

Ahh yeah. A lot of old metal bath tubs get used for worm farms aswell

must be something else about my set up - the lack of dirt around the pumpkin was my next concern  

ive got the same bit of pumpkin just buried in dirt at the moment so I’ll see how that pans out

We did the same using hessian bags.

Big plastic pot with filtered holes at the bottom with heaps of soggy cardboard and newspaper to start with earthy loam on top of that mixed with some low PH potting soil. Mushroom compost on top with the kitchen scraps thrown in underneath a moist canvas bag.

Works brilliant for tiger worms and they are a good size compared to the stuff most places sell.

I recommend you chop your pumpkin up into little pieces so it composts quicker and helps your worms feed easier.

Sent from my SM-J120ZN using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Tinker said:

We did the same using hessian bags.

Big plastic pot with filtered holes at the bottom with heaps of soggy cardboard and newspaper to start with earthy loam on top of that mixed with some low PH potting soil. Mushroom compost on top with the kitchen scraps thrown in underneath a moist canvas bag.

Works brilliant for tiger worms and they are a good size compared to the stuff most places sell.

I recommend you chop your pumpkin up into little pieces so it composts quicker and helps your worms feed easier.

Sent from my SM-J120ZN using Tapatalk

Yeah I think I’ve worked it out. I wasn’t burying it deep enough. 

The reason it works in the worm fam is coz the are trapped and can’t find their own level 

In my garden they can burrow to what ever depth they feel comfortable at. 

I buried the pumpkin on its own, at the same level and the worms didn’t come up to that either. 

They prefer to hang out about 40cms deep in the garden and the trap was set at around 20cm

Ill reset and see how it goes down deep

6FEE501E-AD05-4CD8-9041-EF2589C83BB8.jpeg