Salt and Pepper Squid

Guest xtrafishyfish

Guest xtrafishyfish

I finally found a decent salt and pepper squid recipe, true to style and minus the star anise that spoils it. Cooked it up last night and it was delish {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif Serves 61kg squid tubes, halved lengthways 250ml (1cup) lemon juice 250g (2 cups) cornflour (cornstarch) 1 1/2 tablespoons salt1 tablespoon ground white pepper2 teaspoons caster (superfine) sugar 4 egg whites, lightly beatenoil, for deep-frying lemon wedges, for serving coriander (cilantro) leaves, for garnish1. Open out the squid tubes, wash and pat dry. Lay on a chopping board with the inside facing upwards. Score a fine diamond pattern on the squid, being careful not to cut all the way through. Cut into pieces about 5 x 3cm .2. Place in a flat non-metallic dish and pour the lemon juice over the top. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes.3. Drain and pat dry.4.. Combine the cornflour, salt, white pepper and sugar in a bowl. Dip the squid into the egg white and then into the flour mixture, shaking off any excess.4. Fill a deep fryer or large saucepan one-third full of oil and heat to 180?C (350?F), oruntil a small cube of white bread dropped into the oil turns golden in 15 seconds.5. Cook batches of the squid for 1-2 minutes, or until the flesh turns white and curls.6. Drain on crumpled paper towels. Serve with lemon wedges and garnish withcoriander.

Guest xtrafishyfish

Gee that sounds good Smiley,Might just jump in the boat and go and catch me a squiddly did[/color:1jakfpiq]

Go for it Osprey.... You won't catch any if you stay at home :lol::lol: seriously tho' it was tasty and had a nice crispy pepper batter, although, I reckon I'd thin out the thicker pieces of bigger squid first tho' with a meat mallet {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif
  • 3 weeks later...

i ordered some salt and pepper squid from a resturaunt the other night.It was done a little different.Instead of cutting into rings they cut into rings but didnt cut all the way through. They cut 95% through but left a little bit attched. This way they could link like 6 rings together all joined at the bottom. Make sense?????Hard to explain but it looked awesome and tasted good too.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I second that mulies best salt & pepper squid i've tasted.youse guys have got to try it {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gifIt also comes in a resealable bag and lasts 12 months

i thought that squiders you brought round the other nightwas fresh.. {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/rolleyes.gif

I think ive posted this somehwere else before but I use cornflour, a decent lemon pepper, tiny bit of chinese 5 spice and a touch of plain flour, deep fry it quicly like normal and thats it, nice and easy and really tasty.

You most certainly have posted it before, and I tried it, although I did use rice flour on mine! That 5 spice is a groovy lil addition.I recall you mentioned a sauce or mayo too, but I cant remember what it was, can ya give me a refresher please?