I thought she be a bit on the plain side, and quite retro looking, not that looks matter too much.  But, that does not appear to be the new model based on this

https://fish.shimano.com/ja-JP/product/reel/hanyouspinning/a075f000035yx1uqaa.html

It's a quite different reel all around, less capacity, higher gearing, more weight, another bearing, but specs mean nothing really.

For historical reference :):

P-NASCI.jpgWonder if there's any serious discounting of the FB.

Sure, but there's no weight saving or any other benefit I can see. Whilst less line is cheaper, some super cheap mono or 4 core braid as backing gives you options to use it for other tasks - yes that backing has weight but pretty low. Mind you, Abus idea of their high end reels giving you 2 spools, 1 low, 1 normal,  is a winner.

Shallow spools are for finesse fishing and ideal for those super fine expensive braided lines,it also decreases the chances of the thinner line digging into the spooled braid line.

I think it's when you got 20-30 reels spooled up on a shelf ready to go you just choose the one you need for the species you are targeting on the day

Yeah after re-spooling 3 reels in a row, I start getting jealous of shallow spools. But that Jealousy fades at about the same rate, as it takes for my forearm to stop aching😉

Then the versatility, and safety net of having a couple of hundred meters, is more suited to the way I fish.

They have their place - but its not at my place😉

1 hour ago, MAH said:

I like shallow spool reels, but most of my fishing is finese or squid. Even with a shallow spool reel I fit 150m to 200m of braid, as it's mainly 6lb or maybe 8lb, except for 12lb for squid. I just prefer not to have backing line. And I'm not worried that YFW is going to spool me.

I'm currently running the Berkley 9X in the 0.8 dia for squid.Using the Emeraldas reel but want to try the Sephia 3000 and due to arrive soon.

20210811_132721.jpg

That spool in the top pic looks almost full already, would struggle to get 50m of cobweb on that. For mine these must be 99.9% gimmick, there is zero benefit to be had which can't be offset on a regular spool by spending a couple of minutes putting on some backing, certainly nothing mentioned above as a benefit apart from set up labour, which is negligible benefit anyway, makes shallow spool better to deep in any way but the risk of being spooled by a fish of a lifetime is real unless you fish enclosed waters with zero chance of hooking a large fish that can get beyond 100m or so of you're rod tip.

As a genuine fishing  fanatic and equipment connoisseur (my favourite "book" as a kid was the Shimano yearly mag with all the gear featured) I am genuinely interested to know if there is any benefit to the shallow spool so please SHers, educate me.

On 10/08/2021 at 4:20 PM, SurfcaztR said:

For those who love Shimano,this is the new look Nasci that's arriving soon.

nacis_1_2048x2048.jpg

I don't think this is a photo, I think its a artists sketch. Makes me wonder if the spool  really holds that little line, would be good to see an actual photo, or the specs.

1 hour ago, Wert said:

That spool in the top pic looks almost full already, would struggle to get 50m of cobweb on that. For mine these must be 99.9% gimmick, there is zero benefit to be had which can't be offset on a regular spool by spending a couple of minutes putting on some backing, certainly nothing mentioned above as a benefit apart from set up labour, which is negligible benefit anyway, makes shallow spool better to deep in any way but the risk of being spooled by a fish of a lifetime is real unless you fish enclosed waters with zero chance of hooking a large fish that can get beyond 100m or so of you're rod tip.

As a genuine fishing  fanatic and equipment connoisseur (my favourite "book" as a kid was the Shimano yearly mag with all the gear featured) I am genuinely interested to know if there is any benefit to the shallow spool so please SHers, educate me.

Does the same question apply to someone buying a Shimano Vanford deep spool 1000 size spin reel $287 with a full 95m of 10lb braid ?

10 minutes ago, TENNANT said:

I don't think this is a photo, I think its a artists sketch. Makes me wonder if the spool  really holds that little line, would be good to see an actual photo, or the specs.

Could be designed for the JAP market only as they do have reels the rest of us don't get unless we import them ? maybe..

1 hour ago, Wert said:

I am genuinely interested to know if there is any benefit to the shallow spool so please SHers, educate me.

If I’d had a shallow spool when hooked this on 6lb leaders, it could have all been over by the second run  

instead he ran back under a bridge so I had to jump in the water- wade through balls deep mud - swim for a bit- then pick my line of snags with my head under water  and then stuff around for ages trying to get him back

All that hassle could have been avoided if I’d just used a shallow spool😉

9CFAC2FF-D708-41AD-BF0C-855E8F2F240D.jpeg

C2EF4C3D-3E03-4CC9-B675-A1913BE761CC.jpeg

One issue I had forever when using the backing was the joiner knot poking through

I used to run 120yard top shots and if you were casting 1/20th jigheads around - the likely hood of wind knots goes up dramatically unless you really watch your line control each cast. 

so if I’d had a really really bad day and lost a bit of Braid to wind knots. The leader knot could poke through and catch the line while casting

i took way to long to come up with this duct tape solution. Smooths over the knot so you dont have to cut a session short

I now do it on all my reels not matter how much braid is going over the top  

6FBA84E2-8076-4AD0-88FB-C90446A0FC64.jpeg

9 hours ago, SurfcaztR said:

Does the same question apply to someone buying a Shimano Vanford deep spool 1000 size spin reel $287 with a full 95m of 10lb braid ?

Umm totally different scenario but let's flesh this out. I really doubt anyone is dropping $300 on a tiny finesse reel to load it with 10lb power pro, I imagine however it would hold a full 150yard spool of a quality 8 carrier 4 to 6lb braid with room for backing ,  also in this example even with the 10lb power pro spooled you are working the reel at 100% of it's potential rather than giving it an artificially reduced capacity by using a gimmicky shallow spool. If you get done you get done  but it won't be because you opted to reduce the maximum line capacity of your chosen reel. So long story short no, no it doesn't apply.

9 hours ago, yellow door 1 said:

If I’d had a shallow spool when hooked this on 6lb leaders, it could have all been over by the second run  

instead he ran back under a bridge so I had to jump in the water- wade through balls deep mud - swim for a bit- then pick my line of snags with my head under water  and then stuff around for ages trying to get him back

All that hassle could have been avoided if I’d just used a shallow spool😉

9CFAC2FF-D708-41AD-BF0C-855E8F2F240D.jpeg

C2EF4C3D-3E03-4CC9-B675-A1913BE761CC.jpeg

Cracking job there YD and basically the same reason I will never go shallow spool, for me it was a 90 something cm model that decided to eat one of the small Tommies I was catching for bait many years ago, 150yards of 8lb Sunline and a further 50m or so of 10lb melted off the spool and I saw spool. Probably only been into the backing 4 or 5 times (and been spooled twice) but when you find yourself attached to a monster you appreciate every last cm. To stop catching I push my knot in as flush as possible down low which works pretty well but that tape trick is going to be getting a run on my reels in the future I reckon.

3 hours ago, Wert said:

Cracking job there YD and basically the same reason I will never go shallow spool, for me it was a 90 something cm model that decided to eat one of the small Tommies I was catching for bait many years ago, 150yards of 8lb Sunline and a further 50m or so of 10lb melted off the spool and I saw spool. Probably only been into the backing 4 or 5 times (and been spooled twice) but when you find yourself attached to a monster you appreciate every last cm. To stop catching I push my knot in as flush as possible down low which works pretty well but that tape trick is going to be getting a run on my reels in the future I reckon.

Thanks Mate. Yeah I use the same reels in tiny lakes with little redfin in them as I do in waters where much bigger fish live. So I need reels that can give me a chance in both.

P.s. if you stick the little strip of duct tape to a desk a few times it loses a lot of its stickiness. That way it will definitely pop off if another monster grabs one of your tommies😉

On 12/08/2021 at 8:42 AM, Wert said:

I don't think there is any specific benefit, but nor do I think there is any specific negative. It's just a matter of preference. I think that preference stems from a preference for style of fishing. It's something that people who fish small reels, in a finesse fashion, or squid fishos may prefer.

I'm never going to lose a big fish by being spooled, because I rarely fish those situations. If I am throwing soft plastics or hard bodies that might get picked up by something bigger, I'm using a  different reel with a standard depth spool. Just as I don't have just one rod, I don't have one reel and when I go fishing, I grab the rod and reel that will get the job done. In fact I rarely grab one rod and reel and usually take a couple, so I can just swap if I have day ending wind knot or something like that. Even if I take only one rod, I always take at least two reels so I have a backup. A backup reel doesn't help if you're being spooled, but like I said, this is not an issue for me. Last time I was being spooled it was a ray that picked up bass yabby I had thrown out for YFW, and in that situation it wouldn't have mattered if it was shallow spool or not, my little Stradic 1000 wasn't up to the job, so tighten the drag and snp the leader.

One of the reasons I prefer shallow spool reels is because I hate backing line, I just don't like going from mono to braid and from braid to fluro. I want as few knots as possible in my line and avoid any impacts on line lay (even if it's small).

But I also have a preference for Shimano reels over Daiwa reels, Daiwa rods over Shimano rods, longer rods over shorter rods (I don't own anything under 7ft), beer made with traditional hops over new world hops, and cab sav over shiraz. These are just my preferences, no one else has to agree, as it's my dollars paying the bills so my choice.

On 11/08/2021 at 6:59 PM, SurfcaztR said:

I'm currently running the Berkley 9X in the 0.8 dia for squid.Using the Emeraldas reel but want to try the Sephia 3000 and due to arrive soon.

20210811_132721.jpg

Snap!

I have an Emeraldas I'm just about to re-spool with 12lb Duel Hardcore Pro X4Emeraldas.jpg.8bf54aa5355e2367174b758865e4216b.jpg

And I have a new Sephia BB C3000SDH that I'm going to spool with 10lb Platypus P8

Sephia.jpg.968183cd5cf555540a9aeb7aff10099b.jpg