Carp strips for bait

Guest undertaker

Hi asbo ;)Carp are great in the crab nets for sure.I have used "whole" carp for bait on numerous occasions......for rays and sharks mainly.....from 1/2 to 2kg in size under the balloons,and just the head on the bottom for the rays.They have a tough skin / scales,and they hang on the hook(s) really well,and resist damage from "pickers".Never used fillets / strips / pieces though......might be a "gun bait". ???Also,they make good burley blocks after going through the mincer......but they stink :o

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry to bring up an oldish post but I think carp is a great bait. I'm always looking for cheap effective baits and I think I've hit the jackpot with carp. Sat in the cold for 4 hours last Thursday morning without so much as a bite using salted pilchards as bait, switched to carp and on the first cast landed a whiting, 2nd cast a leather jacket, 3rd cast a salmon trout and 4th cast a flathead. I was shocked and surprised, would've kept fishing cept I left my tacklebox at home and a big leather jacket that took the bait bit through the line. Went back down there later that night and managed to land another salmon trout. The day before I went down there with carp and landed a nice 45cm aus salmon, a leather jacket and a 33cm bream. Seems the fish love carp meat!

• 5 months later...