Platypus tops off an average day.

The Meander River water level had dropped to a safer wading level, so that's where I headed. Even though it was higher than I would have liked I knew an area I could wade as long as I took it easy. Not the session I wanted but still managed a few hits from the trout. The water temperature is still very low and the flow was on the fast side, the fishing will improve as the water level drops to the 60 cm mark. It still nice to finally get into one of the larger river for a change of scenery.. Thanks for watching..

** Since this tip we've had a heap of rain and the rivers are all running high again... snow down to 200 mtrs is forecast overnight as well..😪

cheers

Adrian

That's been the main problem doobie, snow melt, high water level and 5 degree (on average)water temps.. The river needs to drop to 60 cms & warm up to ten degrees and more before it will fire up, the river has a regulated flow from Huntsman Lake & the levels fluctuate throughout the trout season for irrigation purposes. That's how I got caught out last season when they let water out when I was on the wrong side of the river, it took me twenty minutes to slowly make my way across from the opposite river bank to safety. There was no way out behind me as it's all wild vegetation & thick scrub for miles, I had to make my way across to where I took the photo below. It's all a part of trout fishing, that's where knowing a river like the back of your hand is very helpful.

cheers

Adrian

1086304266_MeanderRiverFossil.6726(Large).JPG.da33a7fc8e8255703ab976c734d982c0.JPG

On 28/09/2021 at 4:22 PM, doobie said:

I remember that in one of your reports - certainly an adventurous and nerve racking crossover :) 

Yes, I there is on on the site too, after I got in touch with the Inland Fisheries they have someone looking into it to see if there can be a warning siren setup before they let water out for irrigation. Whether it happens or not, will have to wait and see.

Like everything, the powers to be will wait until an inexperience angler drowns before they do something about it..

cheers

Adrian