Hi Guys,

A mate and me have been trying to catch a mulloway for a while now. We've tried using live bait, whole pilchard everything. Been out for 5-6 hours either side of high tide and moon phases. 

What else do we need to do? Surely catching Mulloway isn't that rare or this difficult? We've been trying for quite some time now and haven't had a thing. 

Are mulloway more active in the summer months or something? 

I haven’t landed  one in 7 years on bream lure and light line . That was in  February . So I’d guess on lures it’s summer time can’t talk about bait fishing for them . Saying summer couple of years ago on a winter dodge tide in west lakes a school one or two ripped the trebles of my lure . I’m afraid it’s fishing trial and error 

Hi BTZ and welcome.

You're not the first and I don't think you'll be the last to have a hard time getting attached to a mully. Without knowing where you are and whether you are boat or land based it is a bit hard to give advice though I reckon you've worked out the first good bit of mully advice, warmer months are better for catching mulloway. Sure they get caught year around and freezing cold winter nights are apparently the best time to get the monster metro mullys here in the Port but when the water temperature gets up  your chances of hooking one goes up exponentially.

The other tip I can give straight up is it isn't easy, 10 trips without a sign of life is normal and anyone telling you they always get them is flat out full of cow manure, sure sometimes you'll find a snag or hole that is almost a sure thing for a season but it never lasts forever and it can be a long time until you find them again. So my final and best advice for you is don't give up, if you're fishing an area you know holds them keep putting in the hours, mix up technique, location etc and you'll get your mulloway or even your first few in as many casts (they can be like that) from there it gets easier, but never easy. Welcome to mulloway fishing.

4 hours ago, Mickyj said:

I haven’t landed  one in 7 years on bream lure and light line . That was in  February . So I’d guess on lures it’s summer time can’t talk about bait fishing for them . Saying summer couple of years ago on a winter dodge tide in west lakes a school one or two ripped the trebles of my lure . I’m afraid it’s fishing trial and error 

Before I forget I got very lucky on bream gear casting into large bait schools or salmon schools and landed mulleway. Three in three days lost a bugger one on day four . Not a bad by catch 

4 hours ago, Wert said:

Hi BTZ and welcome.

You're not the first and I don't think you'll be the last to have a hard time getting attached to a mully. Without knowing where you are and whether you are boat or land based it is a bit hard to give advice though I reckon you've worked out the first good bit of mully advice, warmer months are better for catching mulloway. Sure they get caught year around and freezing cold winter nights are apparently the best time to get the monster metro mullys here in the Port but when the water temperature gets up  your chances of hooking one goes up exponentially.

The other tip I can give straight up is it isn't easy, 10 trips without a sign of life is normal and anyone telling you they always get them is flat out full of cow manure, sure sometimes you'll find a snag or hole that is almost a sure thing for a season but it never lasts forever and it can be a long time until you find them again. So my final and best advice for you is don't give up, if you're fishing an area you know holds them keep putting in the hours, mix up technique, location etc and you'll get your mulloway or even your first few in as many casts (they can be like that) from there it gets easier, but never easy. Welcome to mulloway fishing.

Thanks for the reply and tips. 

I mainly fish in the Onka for mulloway, but haven't had any luck at all. Only started seriously trying for mulloway in late autumn/winter and have been wondering why I haven't caught anything (not even a bite other than bream). I suspect that it must have to do with it being Winter/too cold

Majority have left the Onk but they'll be back once it starts to warm up.3 of us caught them all the time near the Murray mouth starting in December through to April,some nights a school would come through and all 6 rods would go off.You'll need a 4WD to get there,never forget those fun days of Mulloway plus sharks.