Fluorocarbon leader

Yeah its annoying when you try a new line, only to find out its got some bad traits.

In general, flourocarbons have a harder outer coating and dont absorb water like alot of mono's do. That has a tendancy to make them less supple.

Some companies like Berkley Vanish make a "leader" version and a "main line" version of their flourocarbon. So maybe a "Main Line" version would be a bit more supple

When you say twist - are you spooling your whole reel with it or just cutting off 2m sections for leaders.

Unfortunately I dont have a recommendation for you, as I only use flouro as leader and havent experienced your issues - but good luck in your search

Heres some, the Breammasters recommended, when the issue of spooling up your whole reel with flouro came up

Sunline Assassin FC
MB Dragon Call
Unitka Silver Thread
famell spinning fluoro 
Yamatoyo spinning fluoro 
Famell spinning fc 

2 hours ago, yellow door 1 said:

Yeah its annoying when you try a new line, only to find out its got some bad traits.

In general, flourocarbons have a harder outer coating and dont absorb water like alot of mono's do. That has a tendancy to make them less supple.

Some companies like Berkley Vanish make a "leader" version and a "main line" version of their flourocarbon. So maybe a "Main Line" version would be a bit more supple

When you say twist - are you spooling your whole reel with it or just cutting off 2m sections for leaders.

Unfortunately I dont have a recommendation for you, as I only use flouro as leader and havent experienced your issues - but good luck in your search

Heres some, the Breammasters recommended, when the issue of spooling up your whole reel with flouro came up

Sunline Assassin FC
MB Dragon Call
Unitka Silver Thread
famell spinning fluoro 
Yamatoyo spinning fluoro 
Famell spinning fc 

I'm running 15 lb braid as a main line, then a 12lb fluoro carbon leader and some times a short length of cheap 10lb line to the sinker  below that, so if I snag I only lose the sinker. I have always just, used Mono for traces, but thought I should try the Fluoro Carbon. Even after I have finished the rig it's not sitting as neatly as I want. Which brand of fluoro carbon are you using for leader?

I currently use Berkley vanish main line Fluoro and I’m testing out this stuff by kast king. It’s mono coated with fluoro according to the add (I just got it because it was cheap and I like my other kast king braids)

I didn’t recommend them because I wasn’t sure how you were using them and I don’t know if they are great or not. But they do what I need them to do  

Kinks in leaders can be stretched out or rubbed out if they’re stubborn. I often do that to my pretied  rigs, on my 2 piece rods that I break down for travel. They develop a kink in the line, where it wraps over the guide - so I just stretch the leader back into shape before fishing it. 

Guys will rub a kinked leader over their tracksuit pants for friction to get the kinks out. But stretching is all I’ve ever needed  

P.s. I went back to mono leaders for a while - but I found out the Berkley trilene I was using loses 50% of its abrasion resistance when submerged for 10mins. It’s because it’s absorbs water and gets soft. And abrasion resistance is very important to the way I fish  

so while it performed well in dry land tests - getting it wet was an issue😉

AE2CCCC6-A3F0-4418-B3DC-90C14026946B.jpeg

Fluro leaders here too, any brand on special is my favourite, have 6lb up to 80lb, I find the stiffness reduces tangles and makes patternosters in particular sit beautifully. 

Tying up does take practice as I find little imperfections in your knot that in mono you never noticed will always show up in fluro. Uni knots, perfection loops, Hawaiian droppers (loop or cut for a trace) and snoods all work fine you just need to practice bed them in carefully and be prepared to re-tie a few. Good luck and don't give up I reckon and I'm sure others will agree fluro is great when you get the hang of it.

I use Sunline FC Rock fluorocarbon as a leader from 6lb to 30lb & don't have any problems with knots, one thing with tying knots in fluoro is to make sure that your knots are well lubricated before tightening so that the line slides easily in the knot, any friction in the knot will weaken the line & make an ugly knot. 

I have a customer that often gets me to tie an FG knot to join his 6lb braid to a 6lb fluoro leader for his YF Whiting lure fishing, I can understand why the fish find it hard to see , I need bloody good light to see it 😂😂