• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sriracha sauce batter flatty nuggets

A lot of tools you swing have a fat bit at the end - so do my rods  I originally used fat bits of cork because my guts would get bruised during Jewie season. (I used to fish for them regularly wi

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, gregtech said:

Flash! 

Another option for lazy fisho (me) is part of a tyre plug repair  kit.

20211021_164607.jpg

Yeah that style handle and short spike would have come in real handy on a carp the other day

i tried Ike jime with the ground spike of my camera monopod. (I left my hammer at home) His head was too hard and I ended up bending the spike while having a few goes at it😉

9B42C9F2-6A2E-4C23-B175-05090A38720B.jpeg

3 hours ago, Soobz said:

Finding the brain/spinal column is the hard part on smaller fish

For along time I've been using a hammer on carp - because its pretty much the most instantaneous death I can think of - Hard to miss the brain with a hammer

But I'd like to keep more of their fluids in, as I use them for bait. Someone suggested a rubber mallet would suit that purpose but I dont have one. So IKEJIME seemed the best way to go.

I've got a fair Idea where a carps brain is - but as you say alot of species and sizes are slightly different - the other species they will be used on are flatties and snapper. And I will be brushing up on their brains locations before putting them to use.

There are some pretty helpful resources online that include X-Rays of a variety of Australian species. Their suggestions of where to use the tool have been spot on so far

https://www.ikijime.com/fish/snapper/

920.jpg

F7A264A9-79B9-4800-95C8-B1E5F730655B.jpeg

3 hours ago, gregtech said:

YD1, you are obviously retired and have waaaaaay too much time on your hands😆.

I've got the 'real' thing but it does too much damage. To the boat floor that is! The thing is a beast. They banned gel blasters but these are legal????

20211022_204558.jpg

Haha - nah I just love my tinkering👍 Always have

Plus I’m a tight arse so

if I can make something myself from stuff I found on junk piles  - I will😉

the wood on this project is from and old school hall they demolished and the steel is from a metal clothes drying rack I found on a curb side junk heap

I went looking for some footage of that gun in action. Couldn’t find it but I did see it being loaded.. plenty of potential for destruction there😉

Sorry David I missed your reply - Thanks for the feed back - yeah that price was for the gun and the green holding contraption - looks like alot of thought has gone into the product

Is it a spring that loads the gun?.

My tools will get alot of use on carp which have quite boney heads when they get big - have you ever found the IKEGUN was close to using all its power to break through or does it always do it easy.

953.jpg

Iv'e found the limits of the Ikigun a few times, mainly on bigger Snapper. The blunt end of the bolt is the problem. I was going to linish it to a point but the thing is dangerous as it is!  It is powered by the mother of all rubber bands that seem to lose a bit of power over time. We tend to use the 'T' spike a lot more lately.

2 hours ago, gregtech said:

Iv'e found the limits of the Ikigun a few times, mainly on bigger Snapper. The blunt end of the bolt is the problem. I was going to linish it to a point but the thing is dangerous as it is!  It is powered by the mother of all rubber bands that seem to lose a bit of power over time. We tend to use the 'T' spike a lot more lately.

Good onya Gregtech - thanks for the insight

I used to have an old spear gun that was spring loaded, so I wondered if it ran on the same tech.

Yeah if its pushing a blunt bolt through, I imaging a sharp point would go into just about any thing

Its weird to say - but I hadnt even thought about the safety concerns - good point - what ever the spike - these things arent toys.

Did you ever find the bolt on that gun not long enough to hit a brain - I'm considering shortening my spikes so they dont go through a fish and into the floor.

On 28/10/2021 at 5:51 PM, yellow door 1 said:

Did you ever find the bolt on that gun not long enough to hit a brain - I'm considering shortening my spikes so they dont go through a fish and into the floor.

On the bigger SBTs, the Ikigun is useless. T spike is the go there as you come in from the top and there is no bone to deal with.

Probably should have looked up the spike lengths of commercial products before cutting - looks like Keithy and Chopper will be Snapper Slayers and only Deagle might be of any use on the Tuna (155mm spike on the hookem tuna spike)

A mates brother took a nice one out the front of Port Phillip Bay the other day - but they rarely, if ever, come in to the snapper grounds where we fish, so we should be safe - even if we did hook one - 4000 sized snapper reels might explode before the first run is over😉

912.jpg

911.jpg

910.jpg

I just had a closer look at the Hookem spike with the bend in the end -

I was scratching my head for a sec, until I realised you could give it a twist once inserted and be sure to come in contact with what you're after.

Or just give it a half twist once in, then as you pull it out, you should catch anything you missed.

That Hook'em spike looks like the allrounder . And that bend would do just as you said. Might upgrade before the season starts!

SBTs on light outfits are a bag of fun for the angler but the crew/other fishos get cranky when you're on one fish for 20 minutes😆.

Knock em' off quick for best eating or chance of survival if releasing. It would be a blast if you're fishing for snapper and hook up to one but!!!!

A bloke on facebook just mentioned that flatties have a bad habit of riggling around like maniacs, even if you spike em before they spike you

So a single prong wasn’t going to cut it

introducing the “double pronged flatty jabber”  

One spike for the brain and the other to keep their heads in the one spot. Makes unhooking easier and also easier to lift them into the esky

just have to sharpen and glue and it’s done

17D79626-E23E-4DF9-84A9-D940BF495A08.jpeg

If you got a lot of lanyards - your gonna need

If you got a lot of lanyards. Youre gonna need a lot of hooks

Having hooks dotted around the place is handy

So is saving yourself a trip to bunnings😉 

Heat gun + pvc pipe off cut = hooks for life😉

and if you don’t like screws there’s always double sided tape. But I’ve gotta head to bunnings coz I’m out😉

4D4C2011-7A3B-4D9A-9855-ADBFEDECC265.jpeg

03C4B405-3520-4143-92B2-74DE9A27CB54.jpeg

489A02BC-A6F8-4D6F-BE31-1909E125CB1B.jpeg

42F5D067-E6B4-43FE-82F6-B9DE6D5C1E0E.jpeg

7B1F3397-CC8C-4E30-87DF-7EE56B9C3158.jpeg

I've been turning these up to raise money for the local Men's Shed. Trying to market them in Tassie for the tuna chasers down there who often just jam a flexible filleting knife into the head. Not good. All made from cherry guava -- an invasive tree taking over the rainforest in patches. Heavy, dense, tall straight trunks. Great for "fish dongers". Turns green like a dream and does not crack as it dries. I drill a hole in the blunt end of the stainless spike to pin it in the handle through the side with some 316 Stainless TiG rod

IMG_20210917_205909.jpg

IMG_20210927_105056.jpg

• doobie changed the title to Innovative Ideas Man