10 minutes ago, Plectropomus said:

I've been turning these up to raise money for the local Men's Shed. Trying to market them in Tassie for the tuna chasers down there who often just jam a flexible filleting knife into the head. Not good. All made from cherry guava -- an invasive tree taking over the rainforest in patches. Heavy, dense, tall straight trunks. Great for "fish dongers". Turns green like a dream and does not crack as it dries. I drill a hole in the blunt end of the stainless spike to pin it in the handle through the side with some 316 Stainless TiG rod

IMG_20210917_205909.jpg

IMG_20210927_105056.jpg

They look superb Plec - bloody good work

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sriracha sauce batter flatty nuggets

A lot of tools you swing have a fat bit at the end - so do my rods  I originally used fat bits of cork because my guts would get bruised during Jewie season. (I used to fish for them regularly wi

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Plectropomus said:

I've been turning these up to raise money for the local Men's Shed. Trying to market them in Tassie for the tuna chasers down there who often just jam a flexible filleting knife into the head. Not good. All made from cherry guava -- an invasive tree taking over the rainforest in patches. Heavy, dense, tall straight trunks. Great for "fish dongers". Turns green like a dream and does not crack as it dries. I drill a hole in the blunt end of the stainless spike to pin it in the handle through the side with some 316 Stainless TiG rod

IMG_20210917_205909.jpg

IMG_20210927_105056.jpg

Funny you say that about the pin - I was scratching my head for a while the other night before coming to the same conclusion for making some Tbars out of dowell

I was literally just about to go out to the shed and cut off a section of steel pipe to tenderize some chicken breasts - but one of those Dongas would be sweet - I'll grab the smaller of the 2 Plec.

I put the chicken in a snaploc bag before whacking, so it doesnt need to be food safe - but it would be a bonus if it was

4 hours ago, gregtech said:

Mate, I'll grab one of the large 'quietners'. Perfect for the rowdy Makos etc. 

PM your details.

Cheers, Greg.

OK will do. Those two sold already, but I have some more  (longer) ones in stock and can easily turn up some shorter ones next week. I will send pics of the ones I have next to a ruler, and you can decide what dimensions you are after. $20 plus postage

4 hours ago, yellow door 1 said:

I was literally just about to go out to the shed and cut off a section of steel pipe to tenderize some chicken breasts - but one of those Dongas would be sweet - I'll grab the smaller of the 2 Plec.

I put the chicken in a snaploc bag before whacking, so it doesnt need to be food safe - but it would be a bonus if it was

see reply to gregtech. I will PM you the same images next to a ruler and you can decide on custom order if you wish?

4 hours ago, yellow door 1 said:

Funny you say that about the pin - I was scratching my head for a while the other night before coming to the same conclusion for making some Tbars out of dowell

the TiG rod end is sharpened to a hollow point, and the hole is drilled only into one side of the handle. Then line up the hole in the spike with the hole in the handle, poke the rod the in until it bites. Cut it with a cut-off disc or hacksaw to leave about 10mm length sticking out of the handle.

Pull the little pin out, add some 24hr araldite to the little hole, then hammer the pin through the hole in the spike and into the handle on the other side...not so much that it emerges, though.

Then grind off the pin flush with handle. That way everything is nice and tight. Pin is like a nail, really. A stainless nail.

The spike is 316 SS rod. Scrap I found. I grind flats on opposite sides of the blunt end of the spike, then use a punch on one flat to start a hole before drilling. Use a drill press, go slow, and use lots of cutting fluid or CRC etc. 316SS can be difficult to drill.

The flats also allow some space for araldite to be applied to the spike before you ram it up it into the handle to line up with the pin

3 hours ago, Plectropomus said:

the TiG rod end is sharpened to a hollow point, and the hole is drilled only into one side of the handle. Then line up the hole in the spike with the hole in the handle, poke the rod the in until it bites. Cut it with a cut-off disc or hacksaw to leave about 10mm length sticking out of the handle.

Pull the little pin out, add some 24hr araldite to the little hole, then hammer the pin through the hole in the spike and into the handle on the other side...not so much that it emerges, though.

Then grind off the pin flush with handle. That way everything is nice and tight. Pin is like a nail, really. A stainless nail.

The spike is 316 SS rod. Scrap I found. I grind flats on opposite sides of the blunt end of the spike, then use a punch on one flat to start a hole before drilling. Use a drill press, go slow, and use lots of cutting fluid or CRC etc. 316SS can be difficult to drill.

The flats also allow some space for araldite to be applied to the spike before you ram it up it into the handle to line up with the pin

Looks like I'm Talking to a master - I bow down 🙂

I was going to drilling the pilot for the rod then glue that in - then once than was set - hope like hell I could eyeball and free hand drill through both the wood and the metal  - then glue in a little finishing nail. The clean it all up with the grinder

I wasnt completely happy with the ergonomics of this unit and I was sick of mucking around with the shape. A thinner rounder profile would be nice

5104E204-F0E4-4CF9-BFC2-E022BB53F0A6.jpeg

AF3B76B5-D519-4B33-92E1-F17C9F9C10AF.jpeg

14 hours ago, yellow door 1 said:

How many men can say they designed their own donga - I’m in😁

Is one of these doable?   

A8F8FBC5-4DD2-445F-8B5A-4741E1A0C309.jpeg

406B0C50-F7ED-4782-A231-FF984A0BAFF0.jpeg

Ooooh Yes!! I have never seen anyone smash chickens. What are you cooking " "Bin Chickens"?? :)

I'll turn up one next week. There is a 3 day "Turnout" of 56 Qld woodturners being held up here next week and I'm going as a newbie to learn everything I can in the 3 day camp-over. Chicken smashers and fish dongers will be "de rigeur" to this mob!!

Thanks for the drawing.

19 hours ago, Plectropomus said:

OK will do. Those two sold already, but I have some more  (longer) ones in stock and can easily turn up some shorter ones next week. I will send pics of the ones I have next to a ruler, and you can decide what dimensions you are after. $20 plus postage

PM'd you. Here are the images. Brown one goes off tomorrow. Can make plenty more to size. These are 540 mm long by about 50 mm at the business end

IMG_20211106_145837.jpg

Edited by Plectropomus
typo
16 minutes ago, Plectropomus said:

Ooooh Yes!! I have never seen anyone smash chickens. What are you cooking " "Bin Chickens"?? :)

I'll turn up one next week. There is a 3 day "Turnout" of 56 Qld woodturners being held up here next week and I'm going as a newbie to learn everything I can in the 3 day camp-over. Chicken smashers and fish dongers will be "de rigeur" to this mob!!

Thanks for the drawing.

17 minutes ago, Plectropomus said:

Thanks for the drawing.

Haha - yeah the Binniest cut of the chicken - the breast - all Im chasing is a uniform thickness, for even cooking over coals - and I let my marinades take care of the taste.

The "Turnout" - I like it🙂

38 minutes ago, SurfcaztR said:

Easier way just buy a $2 philips head  screw driver from the dollar shop and use that,want it sharper grind the end a bit more

100-0804_AA.jpg

That’s like telling Michelangelo it would have been easier to paint the roof of that chapel white with rollers.😉

ps I’ve got one of those aswell😁

1AA53793-3C71-47A6-923B-5E127863C623.jpeg

841.jpg

3 hours ago, Softy said:

How the held do you "drop" a snapper rack over the side? :lol: 

This bloke is Special - I didnt even bother asking - I just instinctively went in to trying to fix his problem, as opposed to asking how it happened😉

We were fishing in 20 knots on the week end and he managed to get the bridle rope snagged on his snapper rack - so the full weight of a 2 tonne wooden boat which catches alot of wind - folded the snapper rack and the rod holder it was in over, tearing the wood.

So I imagine he was patching the hole in his Gunnel back at the dock, and something went wrong during that process.

833.jpg

Was making some Velcro line maintenance loops today and made the classic error of not reading the fine print on the packet 

(the Older your eyes get - the more things qualify as fine print😉)

finding out the Velcro had a sticky back was a huge disappointment when I got home. 

first I tried sticking them to paper to get rid of the stickiness 

then hot water

then sticking them to dirty bits of wood outside

but just like you fight fire with fire  - fighting the sticky with sticky was the answer  - duct tape to the rescue. 

C2BE453F-A952-4892-B481-0E6EECB47B8F.jpeg

567F8389-B6E5-4853-AE83-943337002A1A.jpeg

830AC118-CB8E-44C5-8612-1261DCACCE8E.jpeg

• doobie changed the title to Innovative Ideas Man
  • 2 weeks later...

When I made Chopper and Keithy out of steel from a metal clothes horse with plastic coating - I knew I was taking a risk

I only used it because I had left my other steel rods at work

that risk has not paid off

the one I left in a mates boat oozes a black substance as it rusts and Keithy just got done again by a couple of carp this evening.  That steel is way too bendy for carp heads 

2FCC0621-1DB6-439E-8A70-33FD30B57966.jpeg

87624FCE-3920-4302-BDEB-C17DB347D3DB.jpeg

Thankfully everything I’ve made from my other steel rods is performing flawlessly. No rust and no bending. So the generation one spikes will be used for something else and replaced with the fatter silver steel

The spike goes through pinky skulls like they aren’t there and the bigger Alderney ring has a 100% sucess rate of jumping the anchor chain and working as it should

39E622E7-3A75-4CD2-803B-C40F65ACAC64.jpeg

4F8F02F1-AE11-4B43-8BD3-FEEB84B0BFD2.jpeg

7FF956FC-7C4A-42D9-A77E-70F980EA1ED7.jpeg

C1E0D0AF-A90D-483D-BE77-E626F586692C.jpeg

What ever you do don’t ever coat bait you plan to touch with bare hands with tuna oil

the pinkies love it but they love salted carp without oil aswell

I had a bucket full of water with a rag in it to wipe my hands and it still went everywhere 

25cm pinkies we’re nearly pulling the rod out of my oil coated hands. 

38 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

I had a small bottle of tuna oil in a fishing backpack once. It spilled.

I couldn't get the oil out even after a few washes in the washing machine. Had to throw it out in the end.

Haha yeah I’ve still got a back pack with a big dirty tuna oil stain on it somewhere. 

we still can find a decent arch on the sounder. But the fish we were finding were very enthusiastic about the tuna oil soaked baits. 

but I was cursing it very early into the session. Everything I touched has a faint whiff of tuna oil now. And I was being meticulous about washing my hands after baiting up. I wouldn’t even cast the rod before rubbing my hands with a soaking wet rag. Lesson learned 

2A2DA232-4B43-4214-841E-46E295F4997E.jpeg