• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sriracha sauce batter flatty nuggets

A lot of tools you swing have a fat bit at the end - so do my rods  I originally used fat bits of cork because my guts would get bruised during Jewie season. (I used to fish for them regularly wi

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Softy said:

They would make good kayak pants in summer too! emoji848.png

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Yeah I didnt get them wet so im not sure how they react when soaked.

The day before I was wearing socks to stop my feet burning but they were getting too hot - even after dunking them in the water to get some evaporative cooling going it back fired - after about ten mins it turns your socks into a steamer. So I'm not sure how the pants would go if they got wet - on a yak you have much better exposure to the breeze so I spose they would be sweet and keep you cool.

In a tinny with poor access to breeze - if the pants got wet - they might end up steaming things you dont want steamed.😉

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Softy said:

Could have done with that the other week.. One got me a beauty with the rakers, the kayak looked like a war zone from all the blood. :lol: 

Yeah we all got done trying to release double header undersized on the weekend

I swear the little fellas are more dangerous😉

my mate had misplaced the Flatty flickers I made him last time so it was a painful arvo

6 hours ago, Rybak said:

....Just wear a heat proof glove??

Why would a torch heat up that much that you cannot hold it ??

6 hours ago, Rybak said:

....Just wear a heat proof glove??

Why would a torch heat up that much that you cannot hold it ??

its the end with the bulbs that get the hottest but is a short torch, so that means your hands are quite close, if not touching that end.

In winter it would probably be pleasant to have a warm tool in your hands but not on the recent balmy Melbourne nights - we've got an over night low of 24c coming up.

The mount isnt just to protect your hand - these torches have internal sensors which will automatically dim the torch when it gets too hot - so making a mount will also increase air flow around the torch and hopefully keep it cooler so it can run at higher settings for longer.

And lastly - they are quite heavy - 500g - doesnt sound like much but it will wear you down on an out stretched arm over a few hours - so the mount keeps your wrist at a much more comfortable angle on long spotting sessions. Thats why I originally made a similar mount, for my first torch of similar design. Just to make it more comfortable to use.

I'm almost always pointing the torch down into water - so if you drop your arms by your side and imagine you are pointing that torch on a downward angle - you have to crank your wrist a bit to light up the water at your feet. Thats where the pistol grip really comes into its own

6 hours ago, yellow door 1 said:

its the end with the bulbs that get the hottest but is a short torch, so that means your hands are quite close, if not touching that end.

In winter it would probably be pleasant to have a warm tool in your hands but not on the recent balmy Melbourne nights - we've got an over night low of 24c coming up.

The mount isnt just to protect your hand - these torches have internal sensors which will automatically dim the torch when it gets too hot - so making a mount will also increase air flow around the torch and hopefully keep it cooler so it can run at higher settings for longer.

And lastly - they are quite heavy - 500g - doesnt sound like much but it will wear you down on an out stretched arm over a few hours - so the mount keeps your wrist at a much more comfortable angle on long spotting sessions. Thats why I originally made a similar mount, for my first torch of similar design. Just to make it more comfortable to use.

I'm almost always pointing the torch down into water - so if you drop your arms by your side and imagine you are pointing that torch on a downward angle - you have to crank your wrist a bit to light up the water at your feet. Thats where the pistol grip really comes into its own

I totally agree it's always been pleasant having a warm tool in your hands but you could always find other tool more likable 

Well the torch arrived and its a ripper - apart from heat sensors dimming the light when it gets too hot on turbo mode (The adds say you can start fires with the torch beam)- its perfect for me.

Also added a velcro strap at the back for extra security. Its not really required as the mount is tight enough to scrape paint off the torch - but it does make it "impossible" to dislodge - instead of just "extremely unlikely"😉

Also set the torch back a bit, in the holder, so the tip doesnt protrude so much. As any Docks fisherman while tell you - balance is important

827.jpg

826.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, doobie said:

Loch Ness maybe rearranged the tins :D 

effing bugs 🤣

I cant cross him off the list - Im still scratching my head - maybe it was the yabbies😃

theres a weird phenomena with those bugs - if you point you torch at the grass it unleashes a storm of bugs - and you kneel down into that storm - you'll be breathing bugs

7 hours ago, doobie said:

Gooo CAAAARRPPPP :) 

Interesting also how the early activity seemed to slow down later on.

Yeah Id misinterpreted the information given to me by traps -  with a trap it seems that they just keep piling in and will never stop eating.

But I noticed a definite decline in appetite - after the 45 min mark nearly all the yabbies in the area had backed off.

So in the new nets - that are much easier to get out of - it may pay to check more regularly in the early stages

Like when you over burley a mullet school - their will come a time when their bellies are full and they go off the bight

• 2 weeks later...

If you've ever drilled holes in plastic - you know there is a tendency for there to be a burr left on the other side of the hole.

And if you are shoving manky bits of fish into that container - those burrs will catch every bit of mank left, as you try to pour out the contents.

Thats why you build one of these.

Ply wood and coat hanger construction

Silky smooth holes with a smooth burr 

800.jpg

799.jpg

798.jpg

Just worked out if you clean the burrs off with a filleting knife - the drill bit actually leaves a cleaner hole - so this contraption was a waste of time. (but i wouldnt have worked out the fillet knife hack, with out making the dumb thing in the first place - so it has served a purpose in a round about way😉)

642.jpg

641.jpg

640.jpg

3 hours ago, doobie said:

You could glue the wood/spikes to bottom of shoes and aerate any lawn you have :D Take a while though lol

Haha - my lawn is 90% dandelions and the other 10% is ant hills - so it could do with a bit if TLC.

I think a bit more metal would be required to get it looking good though

786.jfif 787.jfif

FB92C71E-3220-4C5F-ABED-AFD9C56D0751.jpeg

92EEAD96-7FE9-47AE-B8FA-C770224E0EAC.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

Good work Larry

I have also used squid, scottish kippers and chicken pellets for the yabbies with good success. Carp is also very popular as yabby bait here as you can often catch them onsite.

Thanks Kelvin

yeah I’m doing a head to head bait series  winner stays on

im going to revisit carp as I had encouraging results from salted and skinned carp but the fresh stuff with the skin on wasn’t quite as good  

Salty-ness had been a common denominator in all the victories, but the kfc had been the most dramatic victory I have witnessed so far

A guy who used to run a Barra camp up north said KFC would out fish every other bait 10 fold . And if I’m being honest I didn’t give it a chance against my sardines which had beaten everything up until then.

id had other gurus with extremely impressive resumes, tell me their gun bait would smash mine and it didn’t  

So I was basically doing the test to crush such bold claims

but for once -  an internet guru was right😉 

one guy who had 15 years experience at yabby farms told be raw potatoes would be 15 times better than my current champ

raw potato was amoungst the worst performing baits I’d tried