2 hours ago, Softy said:

Nice haul! 

Yeah we drove over a school of monster gars with whiting underneath, 30m from the ramp. I was heavily hinting that I though we should drop anchor and burley.

But it wasnt my boat and they were heading out to a mark they had done well on.

After 3 drops of the anchor, following local internet guru tips and only wrasse to show for it - I was bighting my tongue. But then the locals kicked it old school and went searching for prominent weed beds with long patches of sand leading up to them.

With a fair bit of polaroiding - a couple of half hearted - "Should we drop here's" they finally found a weed edge neither of them could argue about. And then it was on - good times😉

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sriracha sauce batter flatty nuggets

A lot of tools you swing have a fat bit at the end - so do my rods  I originally used fat bits of cork because my guts would get bruised during Jewie season. (I used to fish for them regularly wi

Posted Images

4 hours ago, yellow door 1 said:
Plastic drinking straw
Hot glue end caps with a swivel shoved in
Red heat shrink indicator

399.jpg

Interesting, but reckon the straw would get bent out shape quickly or swivel will work loose under pressure a few times.

Just have to add the hot glue gun and batter powered hair dryer to heat shrink the indicator to the tackle bag :D 

36 minutes ago, doobie said:

Interesting, but reckon the straw would get bent out shape quickly or swivel will work loose under pressure a few times.

Just have to add the hot glue gun and batter powered hair dryer to heat shrink the indicator to the tackle bag :D 

Haha - Yeah I havent used it yet - so im not sure how it will go during the water trials

3 hours ago, malb said:

Slightly off topic, and I know it's been discussed before, but is there a definitive answer on whether garden worms are effective in salt water fishing?

Great question Malb - Thats something I was wondering about aswell.

I know estuarine species like bream love them but I havent used them out in the bay.

I have seen a guy slaying grass whiting on them in pure salt water but I wonder what other whiting think of them

8 hours ago, malb said:

Slightly off topic, and I know it's been discussed before, but is there a definitive answer on whether garden worms are effective in salt water fishing?

I have tried garden worms in salt water and was a waste of time - die very quickly and became soggy.

Although many years ago I use garden worms in the Patawalonga  between the lock and 1st bridge and hooked up Bream. Maybe due to some fresh water in the Pat helped the worms to live a little longer.

Also tried Catchall Crawlers (good for Sea and fresh water) - wasn't impressed with them either - died quickly.

7 hours ago, yellow door 1 said:

I have tried garden worms in salt water and was a waste of time - die very quickly and became soggy.

Although many years ago I use garden worms in the Patawalonga  between the lock and 1st bridge and hooked up Bream. Maybe due to some fresh water in the Pat helped the worms to live a little longer.

Also tried Catchall Crawlers (good for Sea and fresh water) - wasn't impressed with them either - died quickly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have mucked around with garden worms. They seem to burst easily & obviously die quickly in saltwater.  Have tried salting & brining as well. Not much luck really so gave up on them. Just get salted tubies now. 

37 minutes ago, Rybak said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have mucked around with garden worms. They seem to burst easily & obviously die quickly in saltwater.  Have tried salting & brining as well. Not much luck really so gave up on them. Just get salted tubies now. 

ill go grab a scrubby and salt him up now and see what happen👍

On 3/7/2022 at 4:48 PM, doobie said:

Soaked them over night with no noticeable leaks and just did a test

took 6.8kg of pull and the swivel still held - the straw actually snapped in half first😉

8CF0320E-3BB3-443F-B768-B5A80FA623EB.jpeg

B2F5BF81-EB8D-4810-A36B-C9A2866BC006.jpeg

23 hours ago, doobie said:

Yeah I should have dropped 2 worms into water - one in fresh rain water and 1 salt water solution - 35 grams of salt, in a litre of fresh, is supposed to be the right recipe for ocean water.

But I got side tracked with the salting process...... 

The scrubby I dropped into dry salt stopped moving very quick

11 hours ago, yellow door 1 said:

And the float takes about 2.3 gram or 1/12th of an ounce, to get it up right (left a little wiggle room for using with heavy scrub worms)

638.jpg

636.jpg

637.jpg

Just thinking you could make the end removable with an internal ballast system, that could be handy and keep you busy for a while.

12 hours ago, Wert said:

Just thinking you could make the end removable with an internal ballast system, that could be handy and keep you busy for a while.

I have made one with internal ballast - so its self cocking - but I havent looked into end caps you can remove before.

And suggestions on what those caps should be made from would be welcome

Just googled up these silicon inserts which would do it if I could find a diametre match for my straws

635.jpg

9 minutes ago, yellow door 1 said:

I have made one with internal ballast - so its self cocking - but I havent looked into end caps you can remove before.

And suggestions on what those caps should be made from would be welcome

Just googled up these silicon inserts which would do it if I could find a diametre match for my straws

635.jpg

I spose I could just fill up a straw with silicone - let it set - then cut it open and use them for plugs.

Or cut a point, so a small segment of silicon filled straw can be inserted and act as ballast and a plug

Haha, you're unstoppable. I was kind of thinking of a plug with a wire spike you could thread small ball sinkers (or similar "innovative ideas man" invention) onto which would be able to fit internally, be adjustable and keep the weight down low where you want it.

When you take the tackle world by storm with this all I ask is for a healthy supply of floats 😉

2 hours ago, Wert said:

Haha, you're unstoppable. I was kind of thinking of a plug with a wire spike you could thread small ball sinkers (or similar "innovative ideas man" invention) onto which would be able to fit internally, be adjustable and keep the weight down low where you want it.

When you take the tackle world by storm with this all I ask is for a healthy supply of floats 😉

Haha Thanks mate - Yeah the one that's self cocking, had 3 split shot embedded into the glue end cap as it dried. I like the idea of self cocking floats.  Less chance for tangles. And I looooove the way an unweighted bait  drifts slowly to the bottom in still or lightly flowing water. They can also be jerked back to the surface so they slowly fall again which Ive found is good for triggering hits. So they suit my style

With the end plugs and a pair of scissors, I can change the buoyancy by cutting the straw a bit shorter - or the more traditional way of adding split shot to the line.

So your suggestion of end caps make them a much more versatile float👍

4 hours ago, Softy said:

Bit wobbly? :lol: 

like a new born giraffes legs😉

I did want some thing sturdier but I had to be able to push them into dirt by hand - so I had to keep them spindly. The only sturdier steel i had would need a hammer and that would send shock waves through the shallow little pond I made them for.

I stuffed up some strikes and missed some fish last week due to my unco rod removal from the low to the ground holder - the raised holders were a reaction to that.

I used them today and the extra height is great - unfortunately only one eel showed up to annoy me - the lake was teeming with decent reds last week before the rain

• 3 weeks later...