• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sriracha sauce batter flatty nuggets

A lot of tools you swing have a fat bit at the end - so do my rods  I originally used fat bits of cork because my guts would get bruised during Jewie season. (I used to fish for them regularly wi

Posted Images

12 hours ago, yellow door 1 said:

I went through a sweet chilli phase that lasted many years - Id put it on anything including fish - when it caramelizes on the edge of a shallow fried whiting fillet - its a taste sensation. You do need salt to even it out though

Yep agree, those caramelized bits of the sweet chilli sauce are a nice bonus :D 

I did buffalo wings not long ago - first time ever - and now hooked on the Sriracha Hot Chilli sauce & Franks Redhot sauce :) 

3 hours ago, doobie said:

Yep agree, those caramelized bits of the sweet chilli sauce are a nice bonus :D 

I did buffalo wings not long ago - first time ever - and now hooked on the Sriracha Hot Chilli sauce & Franks Redhot sauce :) 

Yeah Chicken wings are phenomenal - its just hard to know when you have had enough😉

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Rybak said:

Good try but a bit stressful for the fish..Was the PVC wet & not hot/warm before hand - Just saying..

All very good points Rybak - yeah my fish handling in the vid could have been better. I'll make sure its wet in the future.

The smooth PVC is probably better than rasping away on dry carpet or dry floors but there is definitely room for improvement in technique.

I would never have attempted the aerial stuff but the Camera man was complaining about his sore back, so I was trying to avoid him having to bend over to film.

Once the filming was over it was done on the floor - but the floor was dry aswell - might have to rig up a rectangular landing tub with some water it and just leave the measurer in that

Thanks for the suggestions

5 hours ago, Rybak said:

Just dip measure into water beforehand quickly or use a rag wet to handle without measure. Simple enough to have a bucket with clean water in it beit fresh or saltwater. I always have a bucket filled with clean water.

Thanks Rybak - Ive got a 10litre bucket that will be perfect for hand washing and ruler dipping👍

My mates get a bit weird about me cluttering up the deck with all my contraptions - and Ive always wanted to include a bucket full of water for washing hands - but if I can convince them its absolutely necessary for fish care  - I reckon that will get it approved👍

21 hours ago, Rybak said:

Just dip measure into water beforehand quickly or use a rag wet to handle without measure. Simple enough to have a bucket with clean water in it beit fresh or saltwater. I always have a bucket filled with clean water.

A good call about fresh water - I remember making a mistake while camping at the beach. I got my hair wet and rubbed a block of soap all through my hair, to wash out a weeks worth of slimy fish hands running through it.

That day I learnt that alot of soaps dont lather or dissolve in salt water😉

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, dmck said:

Rubbing them in your hair isnt going to clean it.........

Haha - I was trying to get a bit cleaned up before heading back into civilization.

Didnt quite work out - just coated all my hair in lard and I ended up looking like "Young Einstein" until I rinsed it out at the next Servo we came across.

It was a remote area, so our drinking water was still too important to waste on getting soap out of someones hair

312.jpg

311.jpg

"
It was a remote area, so our drinking water was still too important to waste on getting soap out of someones hair"

reminds me of a Ronnie Barker tv skit.

He  was a Britsh Officer serving in India.. bemoning that they nearly died of thirst...

" All the beer was gone, no gin left, whiskey finished weeks ago... we were down to our last 2 bottles of brandy"

" Sir... didnt you have any water...?"

"Of couse m'boy... but the situation was too serious to be concerned with cleanliness...."

2 hours ago, dmck said:

"
It was a remote area, so our drinking water was still too important to waste on getting soap out of someones hair"

reminds me of a Ronnie Barker tv skit.

He  was a Britsh Officer serving in India.. bemoning that they nearly died of thirst...

" All the beer was gone, no gin left, whiskey finished weeks ago... we were down to our last 2 bottles of brandy"

" Sir... didnt you have any water...?"

"Of couse m'boy... but the situation was too serious to be concerned with cleanliness...."

Haha - I remember watching those old classics on the ABC with the old man as a kid.

A few days before the water rations were put in place we spent a good 2 hours in the blazing sun, digging the 4wd out of the side of a sand dune.

It was a good reminder that when you're in a spot thats a long way from the nearest mechanic and has a rep for being tough on cars, you may be out there a bit longer than you had planned😉

458.jpg

457.jpg

459.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The little fish we found were bighting very poorly - even on locally caught calamari baits

we anchored on a few schools and could barely get them to bight - its about as bad as Ive seen them bight in many years.

So the Jury is out on Reddies as bait - they will still hit them - but they arent a miracle bait

455.jpg

454.jpg

452.jpg

453.jpg

19 minutes ago, Plectropomus said:

moon phase maybe??

yeah plenty of blokes on facebook saying the same thing - found heaps of schools - couldnt get them to bite.

Usually if we found the schools we found on the weekend - it would be a frenzy. The fish werent big - and the little guys are almost always hungry.

That moon could have put them off - the bite was slow enough for both of us to agree it was weird