• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sriracha sauce batter flatty nuggets

A lot of tools you swing have a fat bit at the end - so do my rods  I originally used fat bits of cork because my guts would get bruised during Jewie season. (I used to fish for them regularly wi

Posted Images

Been hanging out with some fish murderers

While I took no part in the killing of big old bream for yabby bait😳

i did lend a hand to collect some chicken food.

I got chatting to an angler on the rock wall who breeds chickens and he reckons they love a bit of couta  So when I found some, I called him over so we could both lose some lures. I was rigged for trevally so it got a bit dumb in the end  but we got enough to keep his chooks fed for a few nights

026F8905-C999-44DD-9447-1DAEBF61ACBD.jpeg

2E7C5B77-E2D9-4B89-B4E1-10BFDA5E7BE4.jpeg

On 14/04/2023 at 10:07 PM, yellow door 1 said:

While I took no part in the killing of big old bream for yabby bait😳

WTF! I only fish for species that I intend to eat. When I was younger and didn't pay much attention to the lifecycle of different species I would keep bream, but for decades I haven't targeted bream; because they are such a slow growing fish. It's crap like that which really saddens me.

4 hours ago, MAH said:

WTF! I only fish for species that I intend to eat. When I was younger and didn't pay much attention to the lifecycle of different species I would keep bream, but for decades I haven't targeted bream; because they are such a slow growing fish. It's crap like that which really saddens me.

Yeah he knew what he was doing would ruffle the feathers of some but did it anyway

On 16/04/2023 at 3:34 PM, yellow door 1 said:

I was doing alright this arvo….. until the tax man showed up 

4819CCE0-CC01-49CF-9C2C-890333F6C96B.jpeg

893186DA-E17B-48A8-9A33-2D40A0A3414C.jpeg

A814AA7B-5C6A-48D4-866F-A38760A19B83.jpeg

I was thinking "shark? ....down there?", but it looks like Sammy the Seal. I really like oily fish, and well remember having some marvellous battered 'coutta and chips down at Queenscliff (?) in Victoria. Yet most folk seem to loathe them as wormy line-cutters. 

Sounds like a great fishing location!

18 hours ago, Plectropomus said:

I was thinking "shark? ....down there?", but it looks like Sammy the Seal. I really like oily fish, and well remember having some marvellous battered 'coutta and chips down at Queenscliff (?) in Victoria. Yet most folk seem to loathe them as wormy line-cutters. 

Sounds like a great fishing location!

Yeah Ive only eaten Couta once and it was battered and reheated in the microwave after a bloke brought me in some to work.  I ate it out of politeness but it wasnt horrible.

Yeah Port Fairy is a good little spot - the river serves as a Estuarine nursery to alot of the species in the area. Juvenile King George Whiting, trevally, sand Whiting, Bream, Luderick, Flathead and many other species can be found in large numbers in the river.

And alot of the predators know about it aswell - So they will have daily raids up the river to snack on the bait and other little things floating around. Salmon Couta are the 2 main species doing the raids.

Funnily enough I havent hooked a salmon yet - which is odd as I thought thats what Id be catching most.

Yeah that seal was a pest - He'd go out deeper and pretend he was full, by just lounging around on the surface - but charge back in when you hooked up - I had to pack it in after he stole 3 fish. I tried waiting him out but he wasnt going anywhere.

Their rep as a Line cutter is well deserve and they can be pretty fussy about wire leaders

- unless they are fully switched on - they werent hitting any lure with a wire trace - But chuck in a plastic with 10lb mono leader - and they would whack it - but you only had a 50% chance of getting it back.

2 hours ago, Plectropomus said:

do they "boof" at the surface? Like salmon or barra?

Yeah its the same style of implosion feeding - My observations may differ with others in different waters - but they will raid in very small packs but often is just single boofs. And in Melbourne its the smaller fish that make the most noise and disturbance.

Its almost as if the bigger fish have learnt not to boof - or at least they do it much more rarely than the little ones that boof like mad and are messy feeders.

When Im catching larger perch in Melbourne, I often wont hear a boof at all - they tend to leave swirls with no audible boof. But this is when they are surface feeding with 3m of water under them.

Ive watched jewies be extremely cautious while approaching bait schools in deep water - never increasing speed from a slow crawl - thats before the hit and after - they just "cough" and continue at the same pace. I assumed they do that so the bait school doesnt disperse or get unnecessarily spooked. There are kind of like "Pick Pockets" as opposed to "Armed smash and grab robbers" -

So much so that I used to think my livies were getting hit by squid - The slow and gradual loading of the rod tip was confusing because Jewies dont hit like that elsewhere. The rod tip would just slowly arc over and then they would spit the bait. Took actually seeing them feed to work out it was just slow-mo Jewies who were trying to be stealthy and not disturb the huge baits schools also in the area

I wonder if the larger perch I target have adopted a more subtle feeding style aswell.

But down here on the coast - there seems to be some very aggressive feeding - I found a strip of bait stacked against another shallow bay last night and the Perch and bream were making as much noise as they could while hunting - savage slashes and boofs - in this scenario - keeping the bait frightened and exhausted while pushed against the dry sand probably works in their favour.

• 2 weeks later...

beautiful picture> 

I may have cranked up the saturation a bit to bring out the purples;)

It looks different depending on which device I use to view the photo - on my phone and laptop  it looks almost normal - but on the work laptop, it looks like I way over cranked the saturation.

Just going to post the original untouched to see if theres a difference

131.jpg

130.jpeg

On my tray the Hobie has to sit top down as the hull bottom is too rounded, which is a PITA as loading is easier with bottom down. Actually I think Hobie says you're supposed to carry them topside down for some reason...I think maybe to do with stresses when tying down.

6 hours ago, Softy said:

I done similar with a length of alloy tube slid over the end of the rack end and an extended tent pole to hold it up. Might be a pic of it in my thread.. can't seem to find one on my phone.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Yeah I left it long in case I needed to add a verticle adjustable bar - but the passport 12 is only 33kg and the load is taken so close to the car with the way I load it -  all that pvc has to do is stop the yak from slipping and scratching the car

Based on early trials - I dont seem to need it to be any stronger. Its more of a "catch" to stop the yak slipping, than a load bearing bar.

3 hours ago, Soobz said:

On my tray the Hobie has to sit top down as the hull bottom is too rounded, which is a PITA as loading is easier with bottom down. Actually I think Hobie says you're supposed to carry them topside down for some reason...I think maybe to do with stresses when tying down.

Yeah I got mine from a hobie dealer and he helped me put it on the roof - and ran me through how to tie it down etc - so if theres any issues  - I'll know who to blame - Thanks for the heads up

what model did you choose?

I went with the passport 12 - its the entry level hobie but with 180kg load capacity-  I upgraded the drive to the 180 turbo finsHobie Passport 12 Slate-Blue

Specifications

• Length: 12’ / 3.6 M
  • Width: 34” / 86.36 CM
  • Capacity: 400 LBS / 181.44 KG
  • Fitted Hull Weight: 73 LBS / 33.11 KG
  • Fully Rigged Hull Weight: 83 LBS / 37.65 KG
  • Hull Construction: Thermo-formed Polyethylene
  • Colours: Slate Blue, Seagrass Breen, Bay Sand
  • 3 Year Warranty

Hobie Kick-Up MirageDrives 2021

17 minutes ago, Plectropomus said:

marvellous!! Hope to see some posts on here of your adventures and a review of the pros and cons.

The cars electrical system started doing all sorts of weird stuff its never done before last week. Like its possessed by a demon. Its already been in the shop once and they managed to fix one of 4 faults. But last night the car turned itself off while at a stop light. I couldnt really ignore that one. So I had to take it back in this morning

So the Christening will have to wait till they can get to the bottom of it.

But looking on the bright side - at least the weather sucks for the next few days😀

image.png.6cbe948df4ab13132439c9c4a047310d.png

2 hours ago, Soobz said:

Hmm, they wouldn't allow a drive upgrade for my wife's PP10 when I got it, not that she really needs it.

Tip, get a spare sheer pin for the rudder and keep it with the yak.

Thanks for the rudder pin tip.

There was a good deal on a PP12 at AWS in Geelong, Melbourne. So i didnt really look too closely at any others - I was curious as to whether there would be issues upgrading to the 180. But nothing was too much trouble for those guys👍