• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sriracha sauce batter flatty nuggets

A lot of tools you swing have a fat bit at the end - so do my rods  I originally used fat bits of cork because my guts would get bruised during Jewie season. (I used to fish for them regularly wi

Posted Images

Took 2 casts to pass the micro perch test. Then 2 more to pass it again.……..

on the down side the trebs don’t like rough treatment and I don’t think I’ll ever get used to the brisk arse first sink on the pause. 

I haven’t used sinking bibbed minnows before. Is the arse first sink pretty standard?

IMG_3253.jpeg

IMG_3256.jpeg

IMG_3258.jpeg

1 hour ago, Soobz said:

I've only got a couple of sinking minnows, neither are bum first, I assume they weighted yours for better casting at the cost of sinking weird. What bent the hook? Surely not that fish...

Thanks for the details on your sinking minnows.

Nah the fish spazzed out while I was removing hooks with pliers - They are pretty light gauge though - not quite Owner St-ll light-wire - but closer to the 11's than the 36ers

not sure how either of these will go but.....

These thin worms are a pain to rig - so I cut up some shrink tube to protect them from the thread - then lashed them on - with a dab of super glue on the securing knots

Just waiting to see if there is a reaction and the different plastic causes the "Zman Style" plastic to melt.

Also -  I was looking up Kayak nets and they are pretty exxy.  I can get a $10 replacement rubber net off ali expres - and I had the steel rod and pvc in the garage - just heated it up - and put a pencil in the middle of the wires and stepped on it - a bit of araldite will lock them in place - and bang - cheap net for little stuff.

27.jpg

26.jpg

25.jpg

24.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The $10 replacement net was a lie - cheeky advertising by a shonky Ali Express shop

So I ended up with a $17 one from ebay

Ground some grooves in the steel, so the glue had something to grip on to

I also originally built it, so was weighted such a way, that it would have a slight lean toward the fish for left handed netting 

That was a mistake

It had a heavy lean

So I ditched those plans and got angry - I was stepping on  - getting it in head locks - but finally the vice gave me the opportunity to unleash enough fury to get it into perfect balance

The steel ring is a bit out of whack now but it balances just the way I want it to for left or right handed netting

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

353923206_789892789430682_1189383707424418348_n.jpg

20 hours ago, yellow door 1 said:

Just noticed how I could have made the neck stronger by lengthening the steel inserts - I was also going to bind rope around the insertion point for extra support - but its only for little fish and it just withstood me popping veins in my neck to straighten the steel - so it should be right😉

Honestly I generally prefer to pay up for quality (but not necessarily super expensive) stuff, I've found that long term you win, quality gear, lures and accessories may look similar to cheaper stuff but they just function better (no weird sinking lures for example) and last so much longer.

That all said cheap makes complete sense for a lot of your tinkering and that net looks the goods, for sure longer inserts would help but I don't see binding doing much and it may also be counterproductive due to potentially holding moisture and helping corrosion.

Another solution you might consider is if the pole can handle it you could drill a couple of holes and bend the ends of the inserts out then grind down to size so the net head clips into place, get that right and it won't be going anywhere.

11 hours ago, Wert said:

Honestly I generally prefer to pay up for quality (but not necessarily super expensive) stuff, I've found that long term you win, quality gear, lures and accessories may look similar to cheaper stuff but they just function better (no weird sinking lures for example) and last so much longer.

That all said cheap makes complete sense for a lot of your tinkering and that net looks the goods, for sure longer inserts would help but I don't see binding doing much and it may also be counterproductive due to potentially holding moisture and helping corrosion.

Another solution you might consider is if the pole can handle it you could drill a couple of holes and bend the ends of the inserts out then grind down to size so the net head clips into place, get that right and it won't be going anywhere.

Nice one Wert - thanks for the tips. I love the drilling hole and bending tines so they clip in, suggestion👍👍.

If I need to build a tougher net that method will 100% get a run

I used to fish for Bream on Lures  - So Im well versed in how to throw cash at a problem - A loomis/certate combo was as crazy as I got - but that didnt fix anything - I still sucked - If you offered me 10 x $20 ecogear blades or 10 my favorite little $1.40 blades I found while gambling on Ali Express (and I couldnt resell them) - I'll let you guess which ones Id pick.

Gambling on cheap lures is very low stakes with possibly huge rewards - And I fish alot and go through alot of tackle - Losing 5 eco gears in a session used to cost me $100 - Losing 5 cheapies, I catch more fish on, Would cost me $7.  That adds up when you fish 4 to 7 sessions a week

• 4 weeks later...

Mate invited me down to check out the new joint he just moved into. Sounded great. We were going to have a BBQ, Go watch local footy and have a few beers.

That translates to - a few trips to the tip - few loads of furniture from the old place and spending the rest of the day building over head storage in his new car-port😀

77.jpg

72.jpg

75.jpg

79.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Googled earthed a possible redfin hole today - it wasnt smooth sailing trying to find an access point - and that theme continued for the short session.

Forgot the Mirage drive - Got my balls wet getting in and discovered I have no idea how to use my new sounder. (Not completely my fault - the stupid thing has a feature where it turns the transducer off for some reason - and I could fix it on the water no matter how many random buttons I pressed)

36.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

38.jpg

37.jpg

• 1 month later...