• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I adapted an old Ikea clothes rack. Using velcro cable ties up top. The attached picture is how I have mine set up. They have them from $25 for a double sided (for rods) and on rollers. So easy t

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Soobz said:

I'm curious what "freestyle" was. 🤔

free style was a mix of hand winding - dodgy "knocked up on the spot" drill attachments that kept malfunctioning - and alot of swearing😉

I kept trying to do the bare minimum to get it to work and it ended up taking forever with all sorts of complications.

Everything was just a smidge out of whack but I only had one reel to do - so I thought Id just try to get it done with the wrong tools - huge mistake

The tension wasnt there - and the spool kept slipping on the drill - I hadnt been that frustrated in a while😉

4EF2CCCB-6EF8-4900-A3B7-1F97293D6DFB.jpeg

Although I use a bottle top with a drill attachment and 2 litre bottle to take old line off.( Stuff that’s going in the bin.) 

a guy on face book just mentioned he cuts knife grooves into a spool and then just cuts it off over a bin

so now I have a back up plan if I can’t find my bottle top

E8B9807E-5C03-4F4B-A972-DD952AD793C3.jpeg

2 hours ago, Soobz said:

though I use a M8x50 machine screw with 2 mudguard washers.

Had to google what Mud guard washers were - Nice.

Yeah I wasnt quite sure what Diameter washers I would need for the variety of different spools I had - and the standard washer looked a bit little.

But I do have a shed full of ply offcuts and a hole saw kit - Dodgy mudflap washers of all sizes on tap😉

I find a pencil float and my toes does the job beautifully for spooling up.

For reversing a few minutes with a couple of old handlines, then getting it back on with the old pencil float and toes is a simple task I actually find relaxing, actually handling the line during this process also has the added advantage of letting you potentially feel any imperfections you might miss doing it mechanically.

Then when the line is dead (which can be many years after purchase with quality braid) the old cut job per above or just pulling it off works fine.

I'd spend less than an hour on this most years, indeed with winter and the bloodworm run I've just sorted my reels in the last couple of weeks as part of my yearly "sort everything out when it's cold and miserable" routine.

Not trying to get down on your work and it is clear that you love your tinkering but now that line, rollers & guides are so good a fresh spool up can last you years even with heavy use if you can avoid mid spool bustoffs, I can't imagine a world where I'd need to go to any more effort than I do.

Like I said this is not a criticism, I actually reckon your crazy problem solving thinking and solutions you come up with along with your obvious passion for doing this is great but sometimes I also reckon keeping things simple is the best way to go.

35 minutes ago, Wert said:

I find a pencil float and my toes does the job beautifully for spooling up.

For reversing a few minutes with a couple of old handlines, then getting it back on with the old pencil float and toes is a simple task I actually find relaxing, actually handling the line during this process also has the added advantage of letting you potentially feel any imperfections you might miss doing it mechanically.

Then when the line is dead (which can be many years after purchase with quality braid) the old cut job per above or just pulling it off works fine.

I'd spend less than an hour on this most years, indeed with winter and the bloodworm run I've just sorted my reels in the last couple of weeks as part of my yearly "sort everything out when it's cold and miserable" routine.

Not trying to get down on your work and it is clear that you love your tinkering but now that line, rollers & guides are so good a fresh spool up can last you years even with heavy use if you can avoid mid spool bustoffs, I can't imagine a world where I'd need to go to any more effort than I do.

Like I said this is not a criticism, I actually reckon your crazy problem solving thinking and solutions you come up with along with your obvious passion for doing this is great but sometimes I also reckon keeping things simple is the best way to go.

Yeah if I wasnt a tight arse using 100m top shots of braid - life would be a lot simpler when it comes to respooling - Just slap on a a few hundred metres of straight braid and then the jobs done

But these line spoolers came about because I would often do up to 4 reels at a time - so my fingers would be nearly falling off if I tried to do that manually.

Reel on Braid first, then the mono backing to fill out the spool 
then unspool
then reverse
then respool 

Completing that process once in row is not something I look forward to - but doing it 4 times in a row manually would almost break me I reckon😉

I admire the strength of a man who can enjoy the process but Im not made of such strong stuff. I view respooling as a necessary evil and I want it done quick and with as little effort as possible.

And until I can match a "2-speed gearbox with a maximum speed of 1800rpm" the time it saves is enough for me to keep doing it😉

Big jobs like this need a power assist😉

609.jpg

17 hours ago, Rybak said:

Alot of tackle shops do the unspooling & spooling for free...Once you've bought the line from them...Well they have for me.

Yeah my braid shopping is all online these days - and I tend to buy bulk spools and break them up into 100m top shots to stretch the dollars a bit further.

So all my spooling is done at home - the lengths Ill go to, to save a few bucks, sometimes doesnt even make sense to me😉.  

7 hours ago, yellow door 1 said:

Yeah my braid shopping is all online these days - and I tend to buy bulk spools and break them up into 100m top shots to stretch the dollars a bit further.

So all my spooling is done at home - the lengths Ill go to, to save a few bucks, sometimes doesnt even make sense to me😉

Makes sense to me. If you have only one or two reels it may not be worth it, but I have 6 reels and use 3 different diameter/strength lines. If I save $10 per reel it's worth the effort.

3 hours ago, MAH said:

Makes sense to me. If you have only one or two reels it may not be worth it, but I have 6 reels and use 3 different diameter/strength lines. If I save $10 per reel it's worth the effort.

Yeah if I break up a 300m spool - a 100m top shot of 8lb braid currently costs me $3.16.

But when I think of all the extra effort I go to save $6 by not just using the whole 300m of braid per reel - Its bordering on my limits for effort vs money saved😉

But it all stems back to my bream on plastic days, when I used to buy 120 yard top shots of braid, for up to 10 times the price I pay now.

Using top shots is how Ive always done it - so Ive just continued doing it.

Back in the day - top shotting would save me $60 a reel - so there was really no questions to be asked - but these days there is room for self reflection because the drawn out process only saves me $6 a reel.

image.png