An “arch” you don’t want to see on the sounder

19 minutes ago, dmck said:

I reckon its 15Kg too light.....

Just been doing some googling

I reckon if I taped it to a stick and loosened up the shoulder. I might be able to give one a head ache😉

Regulation Canadian hakapiks consist of a metal ferrule that weighs at least 340 g (12 oz) with a slightly bent spike not more than 14 cm (5.5 in) in length on one side of the ferrule and a blunt projection not more than 1.3 cm (0.5 in) in length on the opposite side of the ferrule and that is attached to a wooden handle that measures not less than 105 cm (3.4 ft) and not more than 153 cm (5 ft) in length and not less than 3 cm and not more than 5.1 cm (2 in) in diameter.[1]

509601BE-AE67-4118-A03E-B9D8ECA7FD8A.jpeg

14F93BBC-7E5C-4036-9FFC-793DF8D661CD.jpeg

2 hours ago, Plectropomus said:

Your the gadgets man.....how about hanging this under your hull?? It could get the seal of approval from the pinkies? Or seal the fate of future hookups? https://www.mensjournal.com/adventure/shark-deterrent-mimcs-orcas/

Yeah If the truth been known - its pretty slim pickings on all our old marks at the moment - very few big fish being spotted out deep - so we are targeting small fish in big schools - My mate likes deep frying them whole, so he doesnt mind them a few cms over legal.

But as we were discussing at the end of last session - the time to go searching for big single, double or triple arches has arrived.

The seals tend to set up camp on top of big schools - so if we can avoid those, we will be in a good chance of avoiding them.

But if that fails - I'll be looking into rigging up a blue tooth waterproof speaker with some orca sounds on it😉

12 minutes ago, dmck said:

be interesting to see the result of playing them through an underwater speaker...

Yeah I reckon you'd have to find specific calls from them group hunting seals for the best effect - but who knows how that would effect the snapper.

I've got a vague recollection of some orca pods going into silent mode, when hunting stuff further up the food chain

The pinkies were still feeding with the seal diving through them - but the larger arches did want a bar of our baits.