KGW on SP? Lures?

The nedrig seems to be the go, but despite research I can't quite see why the nedrig jighead works any different. eg. surely the flat on the nedrig has little effect?
image.png.c6b298a76cb9a182ffa21c5c57baa717.png
image.png.aaab5140365b1c23d8d750605b19ae00.png
ie. why wouldn't any lighter jig head with smaller hook work exactly the same?
Different presentation with the nedrig. The head having a flat end makes it stand up on its end where as a normal head the plastic lays flat.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I bought a handful of TRD Crawz packs and some Ned Rigs for exactly this @Soobz. Essentially the Ned Rig just presents the SP vertically which arguably helps it "waft" in any available current.

There is a specific KGWs on SP podcast on the ALF if your keen. Highlights some tips that may help.

You get some good sized KGWs as bi-catch when targeting Bream in WL, down the Trimmer Parade end. 

4 hours ago, Softy said:

Different presentation with the nedrig. The head having a flat end makes it stand up on its end where as a normal head the plastic lays flat.

I reckon take the SP off and both are going to lie flat, especially with Nedlockz having weight down the shank, so I suspect it's the SP being slightly buoyant that makes it stand up. Would be curious to see a TRD craw on both jig heads in a glass of water if anyone has both on hand.

At the price and rarity of cockles, something else needs to work :)

53 minutes ago, Soobz said:

I reckon take the SP off and both are going to lie flat, especially with Nedlockz having weight down the shank, so I suspect it's the SP being slightly buoyant that makes it stand up. Would be curious to see a TRD craw on both jig heads in a glass of water if anyone has both on hand.

At the price and rarity of cockles, something else needs to work :)

Bait remains the best option I've found, prawns are a great cockle substitute, I reckon equal to or possibly better than cockles, squid works well and pillies are surprisingly good, especially for bigger 45cm plus models, of the roughly 100 or so KGs I've caught over the last year and a bit about 10 have been 45cm+ honkers and id say about half of those were on pillie meant for other targets.

If this is about saving money forget about it with SPs, leather jackets and puffers often live in the same places as KGs and will decimate your SP stash in no time, catch a squid, lose a few hooks and save $$$.

For sport though as mentioned by many above KGs are actually pretty responsive to SPs of all types, watch baby ones try and take lures in shallow almost as big as they are, but if i was specifically targeting them I'd be chucking small clear prawn style lures or the short 1cm or so bloodworm gulps around any visible sand adjacent reef & corkweed bouncing them back nice and slow.

Good luck, I'm sure we'll hear all about it when you get onto a few.

We've got them on Gulp 6 inch worms with a stinger hook right in the tail

Heres a vid of a Vic blokes getting them on softplastics.

But fishing with stingers is a pain - tying them out in the field takes ages and you never get the accuracy you can get tying them at home on a jig - especially with gulps as you cant pre rig or they will dry out or rust the hooks

I would pre rig 10 plastic mojiko worms before a session - and just tie on a new fully rigged worm, when a fish ripped one in half - but if you got through 10 in a session at least you got some hits😉

If the fish are on fire I wouldnt use stingers but when its tough they can be a savior

792.jpg

793.jpg

799.jpg

796.jpg

794.jpg

791.jpg

4 hours ago, vogon said:

Where did you get the last 2, I haven't seen them before?

They look the business

Amazon.

We have Amazon Prime for eBooks, video streaming service, etc. As part of the Prime package you can order many products from the overseas stores and not pay postage if the order is $49 and over. Order a few SP and ned rigs and it doesn't take much to get to $49. You can also pick up some of the SPs for a pretty good price. I got the 3 packs $23.37.

7 hours ago, Soobz said:

Thanks, very interesting. In some ways the headlockz look more natural like a prawn defending itself.

Maybe, the headlockz one kept rolling over, which it mightn't do with line attached.

I haven't had much success with the Crawz as yet but it is early days. Had more luck with the creaturez & crusteaz