How should I rig this soft plastic - Savage Gear Manic Creature

I bought a pack of Savage Gear Manic Creature soft plastics in bloodworm UV. They look a lot like a nipper/bass yabby and I'm going to try them on the metro beaches to see if YFW will take them.

IMG_20211221_080656.jpg.38e7d3a73eec6371198e680ef25babe6.jpg

IMG_20211221_080853_1.jpg.85844fdb0dd2ae8ac3815ff91aeb30ac.jpg

I've got a couple of choices to make about rigging them.

I could ned rig it.

Or I could use a fairly standard sliding sinker YFW rig (which seems to be what Americans call a Carolina rig).

If I go with he standard YFW rig, do I use a standard long shank hook and thread it on like I would a live nipper. Or do I use an offset worm hook and a semi-weedless rig with the hook partially exposed.

IMG_20211221_081230_1.jpg.9d8f2c6adedd2da876454a070d46b89b.jpg

Suggestions welcomed.

I did a quick test of the buoyancy. Although it floats, it's not enough to get the ned rig to stand up, so I'm going to use the worm hook with a sliding sinker, much like my standard YFW rig when using live nippers.

I'm also going to buy a pack of the Zman TRD Crawz in bloodworm to use with the ned rig and try both side by side. I'll report back how I go.

Looks like Thursday will be my first chance. Plan is to start in front of the Broadway kiosk and start moving south. Will try and get there at 5.30am for first light, with high tide at 7am.

Tried the new softy plastic this morning. Not a success, but also not a failure.

I'm certainly not BJSlick and fishing the morning tide off the beach for YFW on metro beaches is new to me. I normally fish for YFW in the afternoon on shallow areas with the rising tide flooding over the sand. Metro, my normal patch is Kingston Park, using nippers. I also fish the YP quite a bit for YFW, Moonta Bay between Simms Cove and Rossiters Point, or the sand spit at Black Point. So this is new territory for me.

Also, I don't usually use soft plastics, on metro beaches I use nippers and on the YP I use nippers or seaweed worms. My favorite bait are the seaweed worms.

I was going to try the Savage Gear Manic Creature rigged on a worm hook and a sliding sinker, plus the Zman Crawz on a ned rig. But I decided to concentrate on one and went with the Savage Gear.

The rig was Daiwa Bassers Worm Hook #1 attached to 8lb leader a palomar knot. The leader had a float stop and small bead to stop the sinker from sliding back all the way to the hook.

IMG_20211223_062456_1.jpg.da4d381d5e80857cb7be107f469e42d5.jpgIMG_20211223_062445_1.jpg.a5c8703f40dd8e93622e4ff238869719.jpg

The soft plastic presents really nice on the hook.

One problem was the tail would slide back towards the hook mouth and bunch up. I solved this by adding a float stop which helps keep the soft plastic looped over the offset. You can see in the photo a normal hook and one that I added the float stop to.

IMG_20211223_121004.jpg.e0eebcea2e4381b01194e8abd19e6e7f.jpg

The day wasn't a success because I didn't catch my target species of YFW, but that has more to do with my lack of knowledge about where they would be schooled up. It did however entice a few small STs. So it does catch fish, I just need to try one of my normal patches to see if I can catch YFW with it.

Most likely I will wait until the new year and give Kingston Park a go. Then a bit later I'll be trying Black Point. Tomorrow it's the yak in the morning at Brighton for some squid.... maybe I'll take a few soft plastics and drop them over some broken ground.

This clip is interesting, because the point the hooks are facing the head not the tail, this has the fish attacking the lure from the tail end not the claws end. I think a fish would find it a lot easier to swallow a nipper if it took it from the tail end, it would have to be easier to to get down their throat.

2 hours ago, TENNANT said:

I think a fish would find it a lot easier to swallow a nipper if it took it from the tail end, it would have to be easier to to get down their throat.

I rigged it like I do for live nippers. With a nipper I always hook the tail first. When a nipper is trying to flee they swim backwards.

On 23/12/2021 at 8:45 PM, MAH said:

I rigged it like I do for live nippers. With a nipper I always hook the tail first. When a nipper is trying to flee they swim backwards.

So do prawns and they have spikes on the front so the can not be swallowed head first. And a lot of fish like bream have spikes down their backs that stand up to stop them being eaten from the back, so get eaten head first. Lots of things have their defence facing the end that's going to be attacked. And a lot of other things have worked out to attack the other end.