What would you do to get back your fishing gear?

Monday night I decided to head out for a fish, so I packed my squid outfit and a soft plastics outfit for some tommies. I packed it into my bicycle bags and headed off to Glenelg jetty. Got to Glenelg about 7pm and fished for squid till last light, then switched over to soft plastics for tommies. No joy with the squid but plenty of tommies about for a feed and to stock up on bait for crab nets.

The jetty was pretty empty with only two other people, which was surprising because the conditions were excellent. Then about 10.30pm the wind started to pick up with increasingly strong gusts. Just after 11pm a really big gust came through and I turned to see my bicycle being blown over. All my gear was secure in the bike bags, except my box of squid jigs, which went over the edge of the jetty. There was no moon, so quite dark but with a torch I could see the box of jigs partially floating and heading out to see. Well, 10 quality jigs and the lure box sinking to the bottom was not something I was happy about, and I quickly said to myself "F*** it!", stripped off to my boxer shorts, climbed the railing and took the plunge into the inky brine. One of the other fishos shone a torch on the lure box and I swam out to get it, then back along the jetty and underneath to the opposite side to climb the ladder.

By this stage my heart my heart was pounding pretty hard, not from jumping in (I was a regular jetty jumper as a kid), not from the swim, but from the thoughts racing through my head. With no moon, it was bloody dark down in the water and the fear of the unknown lurking below certainly put me on edge as I swam back to the ladder.

Would I do it again? F*** yeah! I'm not letting $150+ of jigs and lure box get away that easy.

As much a I would be ticked off with my gear going in the water there's no way would you get in in the water at night especially if in deep water.. You're a braver man than me, good to see you got them and yourself back on dry land too..

Years ago when I was snapper fishing near the fairway beacon my anchor rope became wrapped around the propeller when the incoming tide slackened off before it turned to go out.. With my 18' Hartley Interceptor cabin cruiser having a inboard motor meant I had to go over the side and under the boat to untangle it. What made it worse was the fact early on we had seen a couple of Hammerhead sharks in the area, it was the worst few minutes I've ever spent in the water. 😩😫

cheers

Adrian

I may or may not have gone for a swim many years ago when a carp pulled my rod into the Torrens Lake in town. Saw it sliding down the bank and chased after it, drove in and grabbed the rod and fought the fish in the water until i got the bank. Handed the rod to Jimmy while i climbed out then finished fighting the fish landing it. :lol:

Was pretty funny at the time.... Then the next day they closed the lake due to blue green algae outbreak.

carps.jpg

We might have gave a few Coopers Pales a nudge that session also. :lol: 

5 hours ago, MAH said:

Monday night I decided to head out for a fish, so I packed my squid outfit and a soft plastics outfit for some tommies. I packed it into my bicycle bags and headed off to Glenelg jetty. Got to Glenelg about 7pm and fished for squid till last light, then switched over to soft plastics for tommies. No joy with the squid but plenty of tommies about for a feed and to stock up on bait for crab nets.

The jetty was pretty empty with only two other people, which was surprising because the conditions were excellent. Then about 10.30pm the wind started to pick up with increasingly strong gusts. Just after 11pm a really big gust came through and I turned to see my bicycle being blown over. All my gear was secure in the bike bags, except my box of squid jigs, which went over the edge of the jetty. There was no moon, so quite dark but with a torch I could see the box of jigs partially floating and heading out to see. Well, 10 quality jigs and the lure box sinking to the bottom was not something I was happy about, and I quickly said to myself "F*** it!", stripped off to my boxer shorts, climbed the railing and took the plunge into the inky brine. One of the other fishos shone a torch on the lure box and I swam out to get it, then back along the jetty and underneath to the opposite side to climb the ladder.

By this stage my heart my heart was pounding pretty hard, not from jumping in (I was a regular jetty jumper as a kid), not from the swim, but from the thoughts racing through my head. With no moon, it was bloody dark down in the water and the fear of the unknown lurking below certainly put me on edge as I swam back to the ladder.

Would I do it again? F*** yeah! I'm not letting $150+ of jigs and lure box get away that easy.

Very courageous man indeed, well done on getting your lures back.

I've stupidly jumped in after a few things, stupidly for me is pretty much when you can't see the bottom due to dirty or deep water,  or jumping in the Torrens lake, that's plain nasty 🤣.

The only one that compares to you though Mah for plain fear factor and temporary insanity was one night at the end of Wallaroo Jetty something big took my favourite light combo, poor thing, drag was set right and screaming, I nearly got there too but the tiny 1500 spool just couldn't keep up.

Instinctively went straight after it, probably wasn't halfway down when I realised what an idiot I was, we'd been catching bronzies and hammerheads, the rod had disappeared already and I had a fresh deck of PJ supers in my pocket.

Pretty sure I briefly became Aquaman, somehow, no idea how, don't even remember doing it, I clambered up a pylon and onto one of cross supports from there I was able to climb back up.

Easily the most terrified I've been in my life, genuinely can't remember hitting the water or getting out, just fear and adrenaline.

Ive dived off a pier in the middle of winter - (It was a sunny day) - to catch a sea horse by hand, just to get a photo - so I reckon I'd do the same for 10 squid Jigs - darkness does ad an extra element though - Id probably think a little harder about it.

Diving in, in winter is does weird things to your breathing - I was hyperventilating like a maniac due to temperature shock - but one way to control that, is to hold you breath and dive down to catch a sea horse😉 - I discovered you cant hyperventilate while holding your breath

Further-est Ive gone to save a $4.50 lure is to wade through thigh deep mud and swim for a bit - but I did see the "steam train" it was attached to before doing it and it was an over night low of 20c😉