Sealing cork grips? / starlo stix

Hi,Just wanted to ask if anyone here has ever tried to seal the cork grips on their rod...perhaps with some varnish, decking oil or similar..or do you just let them go?Also looking at a lite spin 2 - 4kg starlo stix tournament pro rod for general light set-up (slash) fun for fishing bigger stuff set-up.....any comments on this rod...its around $130 so its a reasonable price?Cheers

Have a look at the Daiwa Tierra rods (approx same money)Awesome value for money IMO Wink4-8lb/4-12lb 7ft they also come with EVA grips

I agree Adam, Tierra is a much better rod, I have both rods Tierra and Starlo Stix and the Tierra is better by a mile, loads up better and casts better IMO ;D.You buy what you feel comfortable with, as for sealing the cork, I have heard of fisho's using clear nail polish ;)
Guest big lizard

Tierra rods are better than Tourney pro's hmmm i don't think that at all everyone to there own though, i took my tierra back cause it was a piece of snot and purchased another Starlo Touney pro midspin... I'd understand if you said they were better than the standard Starlo stix....

Both rods are good.. Found the tierra to have quite a long butt section wich made it less manageable when working lures.. The shorter split butt style on the starlo stick made it easier to manoeuvre & flick really small light lures. Would love to have hard eve grips on the starlo stick instead of cork. found the graphite of the starlo stick to be a bit more crisp & have a little more feel..Seald some cork grips with speed filler and sealer once. It soaked into the cork sealed it up good and made the cork nice and firm. BUT once you got fish slime on your hands the cork goes slipery as.. Ther is a cork sealer and preserver on the market. I used it once on a rod I built. Works well but the cork still gets dirty and darker in colour.. If you wana give it a go ask your tackle store to order it in for ya. unfortunatly I canot rember what brand it was. The tackle store should be able to source it for you.

I use bees wax to seal my cork grips. Get an old coffee cup and put it on a stove top with some broken up wax in it til it melts to liquid. Then just paint it on with a small brush. It gives a very grippy finish whether your hands are wet dry or slimy. Have four light spin rods and 3 fly rods all with this treatment, been using them for years no probs.Must be bees wax though, not parrafin wax. Got the idea from Ian Millers Aust. rod builder book. Smells nice too.