Baitcaster for cod (mainly)

I'm starting the long research for a cod reel. Going low profile baitcaster mainly for the ease of repetitive casting and peppering snags. I'd like something useful for the salt as well. I plan to do a fair bit of travel when I get the boat so something for Barra and possibly even a bit of jigging.

I originally thought maybe a Curado DC but 5kg of drag might be a tad light when you're wanting to get the fish out of the structure fast.

I won't mention any other thoughts yet, curious what you guys might suggest, but must come in a left hand wind :)

I only use cheap stuff so can't really help... :lol:

But i think the Rod is more important then the reel if your casting big lures. TBH Cod wont be taking a huge runs. 

Something in a 200 size would be the go. I've been using a 150 size reel and from the kayak it's more then enough to tip me over if i put some hurt on it. I have a Savage Gear 200 Black reel i got from a mate before he left the country which will be more then enough to drag a Cod out.

Shimano Curado 201, Daiwa Tatula 200L, ATC Combat 201 are all great options. If you’re worried about the ‘low’ level of drag, your thumb will naturally find its way to add a bit more pressure if the fish is going hard. Have had a Curado 200 for 5 years, and it’s done a magnificent job for my cod fishing. The DC is next level though with the computer braking system. 

11 hours ago, Kuerschie said:

Shimano Curado 201, Daiwa Tatula 200L, ATC Combat 201 are all great options.

Cheers. Got curious about the ATC and did some research. Distributed by Wilson but that's about all I can find on who ATC are. I do like they include 2 reels, low capacity/weight for casting and high capacity for jigging, plus 2 handles for those 2 uses. Found a helpful review from Lee Longs near Cairns showing a teardown of a 2yo reel. Not widely available though. Looks like BCF did sell them, at least online, are they still selling them @Kuerschie?

The Quantum Smoke HD and Abu Revo 4 Premier also look interesting.