Land based Squid help

Hi guys, 

I've recently caught my first ever squid and would love to chase a lot more, it was so much fun to target. 

I am struggling to locate them however. Recently came back from an entire day at rapid bay/second valley and not a single touch. Perhaps just an off day, but it was a little frustrating. 

My biggest question at the moment is how important is fishing in only areas with weed beds? I hear plenty of reports of people catching them from metro jetties, but no real weed until you hit Brighton. So is it still possible to be in for a shot from say the OH break water or semaphore jetties as they are my true locals? Always happy to travel but harder to find the time to make the drive over Yorkes or south.

Cheers.

It is just luck as is most fishing - one day the fish are at your spot - the next day = nothing.

Brighton jetty is good for squid as is Pt Noarlunga, Marino Rocks, sometimes off the rocks at Hallett Cove, Wirrina breakwater, Rapid Bay jetty, Second Valley jetty, Cape Jervis jetty.

Not sure about Semaphore jetty (don't seem to see many reports from there), but OH rocks is good.

Sometimes it is the colour of the jag that excites them too.

Weather can play apart, but generally a nice calm day and clear water (not murky) is good also.

Weed and structure is a squids best friend, anywhere there is seagrass & sand patches in 2-5m or so of water you're in squid territory, add reef, ie a rocky shoreline, breakwater or jetty, and I guarantee you there will be squid passing through there regularly.

If you don't mind a bit of a drive I reckon the best land based squiding you will ever find is the Yorke Peninsula from Tickera around to Ardrossan, basically anywhere with the above ingredients around that stretch of coast, which is like 80% or more, will have good squid and be a nice place to be, also you will always have an option where you have the wind at your back which is very handy.

I love squid fishing and mainly fish land based, but also get out in the kayak.

As others have mentioned, structure is the key for squid (and basically all fish). If there is a sandy bottom, there is little chance of squid. Wert is spot on, seagrass, reefy bottom, rocky shoreline are the places to fish. For metro spots, you can certainly catch squid at OH. Most people fish the channel/northern side of the OH rockwall, but if fishing the southern side for something like garfish, it's always worth having a jig on hand as you get squid cruising along rockwall face (just not as many).

For metro jetties, Brighton is the most prolific, but also it gets packed (I personally don't like to fish Brighton jetty). Glenelg jetty also produces good catches of squid, just head to end, there is plenty of seagrass to attract squid. This is my local and in the warmer months I regularly have good catches.

I personally believe a good long rod is a key part of success when land based fishing. Most of the metro spots are heavily fished, so if you have a nice long rod and can cast a bit further than the blokes standing next to you, not only can you cover more territory each cast/retrieve, but you will be potentially dropping your jig in front of a squid that others haven't been able to reach. I use an 8'9" Daiwa Emeraldas.

Another thing to consider is the sink rate of your jigs. Squid mainly take a jig on the drop, and close to the bottom. I find I often need to add some extra weight (chin sinker) when fishing Glenelg as the tidal movement can make it hard to get the jig down deep enough. If fishing shallow areas like Marino Rocks, Point Riley or Tickera, it's worth packing some shallow sinking jigs, to give you a bit more time on the drop.

I've posted before on the topic of land based squid fishing, with info on My Squid Rig, and a couple of reports on Glenelg catches, Inkfest and Inkfest 2

Cheers guys, extremely informative and Very helpful .

Based on your experiences, what is best weather to target? Are they only a warm weather species? Or as long as water clarity is okay, temperature doesn't matter too much?

Keen as on the next trip! 

1 hour ago, Sykes said:

Cheers guys, extremely informative and Very helpful .

Based on your experiences, what is best weather to target? Are they only a warm weather species? Or as long as water clarity is okay, temperature doesn't matter too much?

Keen as on the next trip! 

You'll get them all year round, winter is known for big ones, summer they can be more prolific but in SA I reckon it's safe to say it's always a good time of year for squiding.

The one thing that is most important, that you've noted, is water clarity, clearer is better which also generally means light winds are also better. You can still get some even when the water looks like coffee if using a teaser but it can be hard work.

One more thing is you'll get plenty at night, use a lumo jag and cast around the edges of any light, night can be very productive if not quite as fun since you lose most of the visual aspect.

Good luck.

Oooo, another thing especially useful for land based off the rocks is floats, if you can have one out while you prospect around with a straight jag or in particularly rough country have floats on both and use the current and wind to work drifts if you can. 

Weighted squid floats and torpedo floats will actually help you cast light jags further and can work as an extra attractant, also it's pretty fun watching your float shoot off kicking up a roster tail.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys here is a tip that out fishes conventional techniques for squidding as every other tip has been covered but this

So firstly you attach a .5 to 1 Oz sinka on bottom of a paternoster rig then approx 40cm attach your favourite  coloured jag and then proceed to cast out as far as u want allowing the sink to hit bottom then wind in the slack so your connected to your sinka (like soft plastics) and give 2 quick lifts or jerks then wind up slack an repeat all way back sometime il stop and pause then with my index finger on the line give it 3-4 twitches  then continue ,the reason for this method is that it keeps your jagabove the weed right in a hungry squids face.

Make sure jags not to close to sinker 40-50cm is fine 

Keep connected to sinker winding up slack or jag will go in weed may get caught up 

Slight steady pull will fix that problem

Will improve catch rate especially when they aren't out midwinter feeding and are hiding in cover

Tight lines

2 hours ago, alfybabe said:

Hey guys here is a tip that out fishes conventional techniques for squidding as every other tip has been covered but this

So firstly you attach a .5 to 1 Oz sinka on bottom of a paternoster rig then approx 40cm attach your favourite  coloured jag and then proceed to cast out as far as u want allowing the sink to hit bottom then wind in the slack so your connected to your sinka (like soft plastics) and give 2 quick lifts or jerks then wind up slack an repeat all way back sometime il stop and pause then with my index finger on the line give it 3-4 twitches  then continue ,the reason for this method is that it keeps your jagabove the weed right in a hungry squids face.

Make sure jags not to close to sinker 40-50cm is fine 

Keep connected to sinker winding up slack or jag will go in weed may get caught up 

Slight steady pull will fix that problem

Will improve catch rate especially when they aren't out midwinter feeding and are hiding in cover

Tight lines

Thats how I do squiding for years now. Always works plus never snags up on the bottom. Great when also Whiting fishing as you can just leave the jag as is without worrying about it.  

Really appreciate the tips guys!

I haven't managed many trips but just came back from a couple days away at Port Julia on the Yorkes.

Managed 3 squid although the tides weren't great. Tried the paternoster rig but tide was so low kept snagging on the weed bed - got the 3 all on slow retrieves. Planning another trip for Rapid bay next month so keen to try the rig again. Cheers!