Snelled Ganged Hooks

I am using 20 lb Black Magic Tough Trace leader for snelling 3 x 3/0 ganged hooks. I have had a couple of bust offs at the trace recently.

Any alternative trace suggestions .. or 

What is the best way for traces on 3 ganged hooks?

Any video links?

Thanks for the help , Cheers, Des

25 minutes ago, projoe said:

Bad knots? are you applying saliva to the knots before pulling snug? could be a bad batch of trace material & yes it happens

Yes I apply saliva when tightening.

I think my knots could be improved. So looking for any tips, videos, etc that just might improve things.

Or a better leader material.

2 hours ago, Rybak said:

A wire trace is another option. Bust offs on what fish/circumstances & chasing what fish?

Thanks Rybak. Wire might be going too far. I like the variable spacing when snelling my own ganged hooks.

Mainly very big Flathead busting me off. Occasionally I tangle with some big Salmon and Rat Kingfish on the Sandflats.

I do bring out a wire traced with ganged hooks if I want to tangle with a Bronzie. 

Cheers, Des

I to do variable spacing when snelling my hooks using 20lb line normally. You can try using Jinkai as the leader. Good abrasive qualities & stretch with great knot strength. Have always used this mainly for Port Augusta Kings albeit 150lb. Never failed me. Very subtle to use. You could easily use 40Lb Jinkai.   

I also run 20lb tough trace (among others) find it to be really good but it is unforgiving if you don't get your knots right, I suspect due to its stiffness.

The hooks themselves can be a problem too, some hooks can have a sharp edge at the end of the hook where it forms the eye, 20lb is pretty light line for an average 3/0, the snood may be slipping up and getting cut almost like clippers if the eye's "join", hope that makes sense, it's a bit hard to explain without demonstrating.

My last thought is perhaps a lighter gauge hook like a mustard penetrator (my go to for lighter tackle before moving to circles) will help with your problem.

Hope that helps, mysterious line breakage is very frustrating so hope you get it sorted and if I happen to have helped fix your problem I wouldn't be opposed to you PMing me the location of one of these sweet flats you fish 😜

12 hours ago, yellow door 1 said:

I haven’t had a snell fail yet 

only possible issue is if you bind it the wrong direction around the hook eye  or your hook eye has particularly sharp edges 

i just tie the simple version like Lee Rayner 

500D8015-12A9-4973-B880-17F038D54CBA.jpeg

DC0A6252-981A-45DB-9B73-AE4821A8F060.jpeg

4CBCFA3D-FF51-47AB-95B5-AA7F2B7EE6F7.jpeg

D0C6C9A2-94AC-4C4D-B8ED-4D0ABDCA2E0D.jpeg

12 hours ago, Wert said:

I also run 20lb tough trace (among others) find it to be really good but it is unforgiving if you don't get your knots right, I suspect due to its stiffness.

The hooks themselves can be a problem too, some hooks can have a sharp edge at the end of the hook where it forms the eye, 20lb is pretty light line for an average 3/0, the snood may be slipping up and getting cut almost like clippers if the eye's "join", hope that makes sense, it's a bit hard to explain without demonstrating.

My last thought is perhaps a lighter gauge hook like a mustard penetrator (my go to for lighter tackle before moving to circles) will help with your problem.

Hope that helps, mysterious line breakage is very frustrating so hope you get it sorted and if I happen to have helped fix your problem I wouldn't be opposed to you PMing me the location of one of these sweet flats you fish 😜

Thanks guys. @Wert the eye of the hook my well be it. As this is where the trace is breaking on the top hook. I think I have to be more careful around the eye of the hook. Start the winding on the snell going away from the join in the hook eye as pointed out by @yellow door 1 . After checking a couple that I already have made up, I also noticed on a couple that I have inadvertently passed the leader through the top of the eye rather than up through the bottom. That certainly would have put more stress on the leader.

Certainly have to pay attention to the small details. 👍

Cheers, Des

14 hours ago, yellow door 1 said:

I would never do it like that. Always snell both hooks along the shank of the hook both the same way & certainly not through the eye of the hook. Just my preferred method that has never failed me. I even snell Size 12 long shank hooks for Gar the same way (not that you need to for Gar). 

1 hour ago, Rybak said:

I would never do it like that. Always snell both hooks along the shank of the hook both the same way & certainly not through the eye of the hook. Just my preferred method that has never failed me. I even snell Size 12 long shank hooks for Gar the same way (not that you need to for Gar). 

Have you got a photo of the way you do it- sounds interesting

21 hours ago, Wert said:

This was my 1st thought. Has happened to me more than a few times when snelling up KGW rigs on lighter FC (<20lb). I imagine it's not so much an issue with thicker FC, but the lighter stuff doesn't take much, especially under tension.

@Des Hope you manage to figure it out.

18 hours ago, yellow door 1 said:

Heres a vid that explains why running the leader back through the hook eye can be advantageous - especially with circle hooks

I still dont tie a snell using the method Mr Pro does & certainly never slip on a protection sleeve. But he is the Pro & I'm not.....His method just looks at bit awkward but there are many ways to tie a snell. I do at least 8 wraps around the hook shank. Each to their own...

On 14/5/2022 at 12:44 PM, Des said:

I am using 20 lb Black Magic Tough Trace leader for snelling 3 x 3/0 ganged hooks. I have had a couple of bust offs at the trace recently.

Any alternative trace suggestions .. or 

What is the best way for traces on 3 ganged hooks?

Any video links?

Thanks for the help , Cheers, Des

I’ve been busted off at northern sand flats on low tide. Tore my swivel off.

maybe I didn’t tie my swivel on well enough or just a large fish.

Manufacturers set the eye of their hooks at a particular angle to aid with hook penetration when tied with a standard through the eye knot - changing the angle of pull can assist penetration with certain rigs or make it less effective.

If your hook is designed to have best penetration at a certain angle of pull - you need to understand the angles before changing them and have a good reason to do so.