West lake bream

Hi ! I have try to catch bream on lure for couple weeks now. I have use sp hb and cranka crab with 6lb briad and 4-6lb leader but couldn’t get any bream. But when ever I switch to bait the fish will go crazy. I have heard stories about the bream is over feed and won’t go after lure. Does anyone have success with lure in west lake ?

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

8 hours ago, JosephY said:

Hi ! I have try to catch bream on lure for couple weeks now. I have use sp hb and cranka crab with 6lb briad and 4-6lb leader but couldn’t get any bream. But when ever I switch to bait the fish will go crazy. I have heard stories about the bream is over feed and won’t go after lure. Does anyone have success with lure in west lake ?

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

West Lakes is surprisingly good for bream on lures but the reality of bream on lures is it can be hard work, especially in the middle of winter.

Seems likely you have the right gear so my advice is mix up your retrieves (anything can work at times from slowing right down ie 5 second plus pauses to straight cranking in as fast as the lure will reasonably allow) , keep moving around, target structure and just keep casting. You'll get onto them eventually and in the meantime you can enjoy the STs.

1 hour ago, doobie said:

Haven't fished there myself, but some on here have.

I'm sure you'll get some get replies/ideas before long.

Good luck with the bream :) 

You've never fished West Lakes?!?! How is that even possible?!

I mean it is younger than you but that's no excuse, Monday morning looks perfect for fixing that......

West Lakes is surprisingly good for bream on lures but the reality of bream on lures is it can be hard work, especially in the middle of winter.
Seems likely you have the right gear so my advice is mix up your retrieves (anything can work at times from slowing right down ie 5 second plus pauses to straight cranking in as fast as the lure will reasonably allow) , keep moving around, target structure and just keep casting. You'll get onto them eventually and in the meantime you can enjoy the STs.

Thx wert. I usually just stay in one or two spot for few hrs I think that maybe the problem. I’m thinking of getting a kayak I hope that can help me to get a bream on lure.

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送
11 hours ago, Wert said:

You've never fished West Lakes?!?! How is that even possible?!

I mean it is younger than you but that's no excuse, Monday morning looks perfect for fixing that......

10 hours ago, JosephY said:

Thx doobie. You should try west lake some day. It is surprisingly good emoji38.png

I've walked around the lake but I know that doesn't count 😅 

Even lived on Sportsmans Drive and never walked over to fish it - there's my confession for the day :D 

Younger than me 😟 --- everything is younger than me 😢

I’m out of action but reading the replies . Slow retrieves then go slower. Have pauses count to 5 then retrieve . Now posters have mentioned structure very true . I learnt many years ago fly fishing for bream at the lake that shadows to bream are structure . Seeing it’s west lakes there’s areas I’ve caught bream in summer and then areas in cooler weather I’ve caught them . Lures for myself minnow shaped lures work well and sometimes smaller ones . Also beaches at the lake sometimes bream will sit on the clear sand between seaweed beds 

just things I’ve learnt bream at the lake and sometimes the same at the Pat 

before I forget if non fishing kayaks go past cast in their wake .  Not sure if dragon boats still go round the lake same with them. But skull boats seem to chase them away