SMOKED CARP:Fillet the rib cages of a 10lb carp, skin the fillets, brine in a mixture of sugar and salt, soak for an hour or two. While soaking mix a couple of table spoons of honey and put into a cup of hot water and add a pinch of pepper and crushed garlic and mix it all up until the honey dissolves. Once ya finish brining pat the fillets dry and pour the honey mixture over the fish. Take the fillets out and dry on a rack (at this point ya should get the smoker started.) Once the fillets are dry put them into the smoker and then smoke until done. Voila!CARP PATTIES:Cut the fillets out, skin the fish, mash up the meat and get all bones out (easier when mashed up) and mix with two eggs, one mashed potato, enough flour to bind and a couple tablespoons of polenta, and a couple of teaspoonfulls of chicken stock. Make them into patty shapes and then cook them as you would a chicken patty, its quite nice! I could eat them all day!

I have personally tried it a few times, by cooking it myself. Tasted like shite!Then one day an elderly Russian lady cooked it fresh into East European fish patties and it was bloody mouth watering.Lets all pull our heads out of our (_(_)'s, get an open mind, and realise that maybe we have a bit to learn. :)

I have eaten carp lots of time when my poor dead grandmother used to cook them, She lived on the Murry at Overland Corner and used to fish for carp every day or so. She used to brine them as well, To tell ya the truth they wernt that bad but then again she is dead now so im not sure if that had anything to do with it.

• 1 year later...
Skudded wrote:

Carp is the MOST eaten fish in the world...and found in most fish stores in Australia, you just might not know it :woohoo:

I thought laws had been changed so that country of origin must be stated and names were standardised so that we all know what we are buying.What is carp called in fish shops?
What is carp called in fish shops?
Iv'e only ever seen them sold as euro carp or their scientific name cyprinus carpio? not too sure about 'most fish shops in aus'?I have only ever seen them in suburbs of cities with certain ethnic populations like greek, croacian and asian.
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
B) was in swan hill vic a few years back and catching a heap of carp and throwing em on the river bank when this vietnamiese bloke started picking en up told him u cant eat em mate the taste like mud he starts luathing at me and says awww carp wery nice fish i cook im for u u like very much so thought wat the hell hve eaten worse while a grunt then carp so over a few ambers min cooked up this curried carp tell u wat it aint that bad to eat if cooked right