Crabman, quality photo's are crucial. No blood or guts. Well lit. No hats or sunnies (if you must be sure the face is viewable). These few things in mind will be the best advantage you can produce for yourself. So far as script goes, any idiot can edit. I have heard over the years numerous articles that could be would be, except for blood & guts, smokes hanging out of a gob or a beer in hand, no problem for me, but not publishable. Hope it helps.Finatic

Kym's spot on mate, that is the best advice ever for anyone who wants to get into writing.You could have the best article known to man on paper but with out quality pics it may never be.Turn your camera on to close up/macro the little flower setting on most cameras to get good up close pics and also get some portrait shots too.If your fishing by ya self a lot learn what distance/height at home you need to be to take goosd shots on the timer.Good luck

Brooksey, its been my experience that I give the story its title. The editor will change it if he / she thinks it appropriate. They will also do the same with the content of the article so be prepared to see some changes / omissions from your original submission.The less work needed to be done by the editor in regard to editing, spelling, grammar etc etc etc,and the larger the magazines distribution,the more you could expect to receive for the article. The same goes for the pictures. Remember too that you may have so many good pictures that one of them makes it to the front page, which again will add value to the story, to highlight your article.Dont be disheartened by the lack of response. Ask for advice from prospective editors on how the article / pics can be enhanced. Where does your article need improving? I was lucky to have Greg Irving help me on many occassions with advice and guidance and slowly my submissions made it to print. With this feedback, u'll soon learn what they are looking for and have your first published article in no time. Then you'll be knocking them out with the best of them. There has probably never been a better time to write in my view. with two local magazines, and a perception (by me at least)of writers not being published in both, competition for new talent is high and you the contributor stand to benefit if your articles and pictures are of suitable quality.Your lucky also in that you have two regular contributors to one of those magazines in this forum, who I'm sure would be happy to assist and perhaps bounce ideas off.Best of luck with it and keep plugging away at it. I'm sure I speak for many here when I say we'd love to see something from you ;)PS same to you too Crab_Man keep plugging away and the rewards will come

G'day C M I got my story published a few years ago in SA angler, my advice would be try for a story line with a different angle, something that hasn't been done to death. Some of the other ideas put forward by other members are also useful, photo quality, high resolution with min 8 megapixel, or a bit less with a good SLR digital etc. Good luck Bill

• 1 year later...