3 way swivels or Dropper Knot

For larger species when using a paternoser rig i find that the droppper loop is the weakest link for me. It is not at the knot but the loop itself. I used to use 3way swivels without any trouble years ago, but they take longer to tie up. Mayby give the 3way a go, i know i am next time (dropping 5 big snapper in a session is not fun).Depending what and where you are fishing for, maybe try a running rig.

Double blood knot, same as the Fly Fishers use as droppers, or for making tapered leaders from different line thicknesses:fishing: Been using it for mullet/YFW/St rigs forever, no tangles and it stands straight off too, if your nylon is stiff enough :fishing:

Yes I use that Tony and its great,its the way the hook sits straight out and doesnt tangle which i like.Some guys use 3 ways and thats cool as well,personal preference ,but it must be remambered that with a 3 way thats 3 knots you have to tie in the line.Cheers

Im just using it off the beach for big mulloway,sharks and rays

I prefer the twisted dropper for smaller line/fish, say up to 20 pound line for things like salmon or snapper, but for bigger stuff (mullies, rays, sharks) I think you're better off with either a three-way or a running paternoster rig - you can use a brass ring or a swivel on your main line above the swivel that attaches to your trace, and remember to use lighter line for the sinker lead so if it gets snagged it will bust off and you'll get the rest of your rig back.

On calmer beaches I just use the dropper loops as the 3 way swivels, as has been said before, means 3 knots to tie and 3 knots to fail. On surf beaches with more swell and current I use 3 way swivels. Too many headaches caused by line twist and I believe that you need your rig sitting the best you can to get the most bites and hookups.

• 1 month later...