Whats your Favourite way to cook fish?

Been cooking up a few whiting fillets recently and its got me thinking.

Im all about shallow or deep frying - either dusted with flour, herbs and spices or batter made from the same ingredients.

I have been accused of overpowering the taste of the fish in the past - but thats how I like it - and I can still taste the fish underneath it all

The main flavours I use are, italian herb mix and garlic powder mixed in with the flour. 

If Im feeling saucey I'll drizzle over some sweet chilli sauce over the fillets right at the end, so the sauce caramelizes but doesnt burn. Finish with a squeeze of lemon - a bit of salt and add a dollop of tomatoe sauce and Im in heaven.

The photos arent the best but the taste makes up for it😉

586.jpg

Depends.

Tommies and garfish I sprinkle salt and pepper, then dust in flour, before frying quickly in a lightly oiled fry pan.

YFW I like to crumb in panko crumbs before shallow frying.

Crab, I like to make serve with spaghetti.

I also like to make tommies into fish cakes.

In summer, when I catch most of my fish, I have loads of home grown tomatoes, cucumber, basil, chillies etc. for the salads. I get a lot of satisfaction from serving a meal that is mainly made from what I've grown and caught.

IMG_20181219_190112088.jpg

IMG_20200401_181741_3.jpg

IMG_20220215_185441.jpg

I was mainly a crumbed and fried man for many years and still go that way often (Probably due to my tartare and seafood sauce addiction), whiting, snapper, gar squid & sometimes tommies with crabs for mum was the go, occasionally baked snapper, but over the years I've branched out into all sorts. 

Crabs, crays, squid various fish and even some purely to me bait stuff like cockles, baitfish (I catch the odd pilchard, surprisingly delicious) scallops, and mussels because my missus likes them.... pretty much everything is on the menu these days.

Curries of various types, pizza, pastas, sashimi (often), grilled, baked, fried various ways, it turns out seafood is delicious almost everyway if you look after it with a few exceptions. 

So yeah my favourite for years was crumbed as a vehicle for sauce but now I would say my favourite way to do seafood is probably to experiment and try new things, so variety is what I like.

16 hours ago, MAH said:

Depends.

Tommies and garfish I sprinkle salt and pepper, then dust in flour, before frying quickly in a lightly oiled fry pan.

YFW I like to crumb in panko crumbs before shallow frying.

Crab, I like to make serve with spaghetti.

I also like to make tommies into fish cakes.

In summer, when I catch most of my fish, I have loads of home grown tomatoes, cucumber, basil, chillies etc. for the salads. I get a lot of satisfaction from serving a meal that is mainly made from what I've grown and caught.

Some mighty fine looking dishes there Mah - my back yard doesnt get the right amount of sun for good growing conditions.

But before I worked from home, the office had a long strip of land in the carpark, that I claimed for my self as a veggie patch. 

It would produce literally 1000's of cherry tomatoes over summer- also had an assortment of herbs in there so it was a handy resource. We had a few green thumbs at work so I was never short of advice or food to feed them

You definitely savor the flavour of the stuff you grow yourself👍

13 hours ago, Wert said:

I was mainly a crumbed and fried man for many years and still go that way often (Probably due to my tartare and seafood sauce addiction), whiting, snapper, gar squid & sometimes tommies with crabs for mum was the go, occasionally baked snapper, but over the years I've branched out into all sorts. 

Crabs, crays, squid various fish and even some purely to me bait stuff like cockles, baitfish (I catch the odd pilchard, surprisingly delicious) scallops, and mussels because my missus likes them.... pretty much everything is on the menu these days.

Curries of various types, pizza, pastas, sashimi (often), grilled, baked, fried various ways, it turns out seafood is delicious almost everyway if you look after it with a few exceptions. 

So yeah my favourite for years was crumbed as a vehicle for sauce but now I would say my favourite way to do seafood is probably to experiment and try new things, so variety is what I like.

Lots of inspiration there Wert - thanks mate - Im going to start eating alot more fish. So I figured I cant just keep cooking it in the most unhealthy way possible😉

1 hour ago, yellow door 1 said:

before I worked from home, the office had a long strip of land in the carpark, that I claimed for my self as a veggie patch.

For most of my adult life I lived in the CBD in townhouses so I didn't have a garden. Six years ago I moved to just south of the city, renovated the existing house with a bulldozer and started afresh. One of the key aspects was a big veggie garden and 2x 20 thousand liter rainwater tanks (there is no storm water runoff from the site into the local waterways).

I'm not worried about the price of lettuces!

IMG_20200616_133836_1.jpg.8eba839c76e8be838575181eecfe53a8.jpg

And when I'm not growing vegies, we go foraging for food.

WP_20160529_11_42_11_Pro.jpg.ea34b14cd398fc445c4a767fcfdc8c80.jpg

6 minutes ago, MAH said:

For most of my adult life I lived in the CBD in townhouses so I didn't have a garden. Six years ago I moved to just south of the city, renovated the existing house with a bulldozer and started afresh. One of the key aspects was a big veggie garden and 2x 20 thousand liter rainwater tanks (there is no storm water runoff from the site into the local waterways).

I'm not worried about the price of lettuces!

IMG_20200616_133836_1.jpg.8eba839c76e8be838575181eecfe53a8.jpg

And when I'm not growing vegies, we go foraging for food.

WP_20160529_11_42_11_Pro.jpg.ea34b14cd398fc445c4a767fcfdc8c80.jpg

Haha - yeah who would have thought Lettuces would be the new big cash crop a few years ago😀

Nice set up you have there and Rain water would be a massive bonus to any garden.

23 minutes ago, yellow door 1 said:

Nice set up you have there and Rain water would be a massive bonus to any garden.

I have two raised beds and 5 ground level beds.

The raised beds are great for things like lettuce, spring onions etc.

The ground level beds a good for tomatoes, cucumbers, beans etc.

IMG_20200616_133850_2.jpg.adcd37332bbbe5e44832eb1fd8c8587b.jpg

Having multiple beds means I can rotate different crops in different beds, particularly important with tomatoes. Everything is irrigated and I run it off a B-hyve irrigation controller; which is wifi enabled, so if I'm away fishing for several days and the weather changes, I can login via my phone and increase or decrease the watering as needed.

30 minutes ago, MAH said:

I have two raised beds and 5 ground level beds.

The raised beds are great for things like lettuce, spring onions etc.

The ground level beds a good for tomatoes, cucumbers, beans etc.

IMG_20200616_133850_2.jpg.adcd37332bbbe5e44832eb1fd8c8587b.jpg

Having multiple beds means I can rotate different crops in different beds, particularly important with tomatoes. Everything is irrigated and I run it off a B-hyve irrigation controller; which is wifi enabled, so if I'm away fishing for several days and the weather changes, I can login via my phone and increase or decrease the watering as needed.

All looks god MAH.

Wish I had the room to do lol

hey, that brown border - what is it?  Metal I presume. 

I have that black plastic border, but it warps in Summer and looks unprofessional.

Geez thats some hi tech gardening - very impressive👍

Yeah that watering system could be the difference between life and death in the warmer months - I used to have to get who ever was in at work, to drench them while I was away. And pray for Rain over the XMAS break.

I just used to run the cherry tomatoes every year as everyone in the office loved them. Some offices have bowls of sweets - ours had fresh pick cherry tomatoes to snack on for a few months of the year😀

But the ground would have garbage bags full of leaves and organic material ploughed into it after the crop was done - also kilo's of coffee grounds collected from local cafes, worm compost from my worms bins, Charlie carp and an assortment of plant foods ploughed in - So the soil was always super charged for Next years crop

I resisted putting carp skeletons in there, as I was worried about the stink so close to the outside lunch area, but that would boosted the hell out of the soil aswell

2 hours ago, doobie said:

The pie looks better than the pizza 😉

Yeah you couldnt complain about the amount filling. I remember him buying a scallop fish pie from a bakery 20 years ago - He was gutted when there wasnt a single scallop in there. They had sold out the day before and he was so pumped to finally get his hands on one

I think they way he makes his pies today, may be a reaction to that😉

• 3 months later...

A Couple of easy but tasty shallow fried versions for whiting fillets with some different added flavours.

PARMESAN CRUMBED WHITING

Mix Garlic salt and Cornflour, dust & coat the fillets.

Mix Panko crumbs, fine grated parmesan and Italian herb mix in a bowl. Then spread out on plate.

Dip flour coated fillet into beaten egg.

Lay fillets on to the parmesan crumb plate. Allow to sit a while to have a good coating adhere.

Pan fry till golden brown in Butter/Olive oil mix.

FURIKAKE CRUMBED WHITING

Baste or marinade fillet in Sesame oil & Miso paste mix.

Dust with Rice flour and Sesame seed mix.

Dip Rice flour coated fillet into beaten egg.

Mix Panko crumbs and Furikake Ebi Fumi in a bowl. Then spread out on plate.

Lay fillets on to the Furikake crumb plate. Allow to sit a while to have a good coating adhere.

Pan fry till golden brown in Sesame/peanut oil mix.

-  Serve with a seaweed or any Japanese style salad. A squeeze of Kewpie mayonnaise on the fillets as well. 

Enjoy! Cheers Des

Furikake.jpeg

I do like experimenting with my cooking. When I tire of the frying I usually go to a bake ( or too many Curries!)

A couple of Fish bakes I have concocted: 

Baked Fish with Cheese, Anchovy and Herb Crust

INGREDIENTS

Extra virgin olive oil

600g fillets Fish

2 Onions thinly sliced

Oregano, Rosemary, Capers

Lemon Juice and Zest

Garlic, crushed

Feta

Tomatoes, thinly sliced

Breadcrumbs - Wholemeal

5 Anchovies

Fennel seeds

Thyme, Rosemary, Paprika

Butter melted OR Olive oil

Parmesan grated

- Coat of Olive oil on baking dish. Place a layer of fish fillets. Skin side down.

- Mix Onions, Feta, Lemon juice & zest, Capers, Oregano, Rosemary and Garlic in Olive oil. Spread it out evenly over Fish.

- Place tomato slice in a layer over onions. Add salt and pepper.

- Place another layer of Fish over the tomatoes. (Can repeat previous process for a deeper dish)

- Mix the Breadcrumbs, Anchovies (crushed), Parmesan, Garlic, Fennel seeds, Paprika, Rosemary and Thyme. Add melted butter or oil and mix. Spread the crumbs in an even layer over the fish. Drizzle over a little oil.

- Bake the fish until the crumb is golden and the fish cooked

Fish with Anchovy Crust copy.jpg

Baked Fish in Lemon Cream Sauce

Ingredients

200gm fish fillets ,

50g  butter

1/4 cup cream, heavy / thickened

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 tbsp Dijon mustard

1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice, tsp zest

1 1/2 tbsp shallots, finely chopped

Fresh parsley and lemon slices

Instructions

- Preheat oven to 200°C / 390°F

- Place fish in a baking dish   

- Sprinkle both sides of fish with salt and pepper and a little oil.

- Place butter, cream, garlic, mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper in bowl & microwave.

-  Microwave for 30 sec, stir. Repeat process until all melted and smooth.

- Sprinkle fish with shallots, then pour over sauce.

- Bake for 20 minutes, or until fish is just cooked.

- Garnish with parsley and lemon wedges.

Baked-Fish-with-Lemon-Cream-Sauce_0.jpg copy.jpg

16 hours ago, doobie said:

I'm a basic fish cooker.

Generally just some S&P and maybe some lemon juice.

Sometimes will use some instant batter mix for more of crunch.

Have a deep fryer but not used much due to having to put 3lt of oil in just to have it at a minimum level :( 

Yeah in the past, Ive tended to keep things simple and I was mainly catch and release for alot of years. So I didnt have a chance to get bored of my recipes.

But since discovering redfin are delicious, Ive been thinking of branching out

• 2 months later...