Braid BS

I got my wife a new reel, a nice Emeraldas MX 2500, and she wanted pink so I went with Platypus X9 20lb which says on the packet .25mm. When I only managed to fit 40m I thought I'd better investigate. It's supposed to be 0.25mm. The green thicker one is Sufix 832 30lb and is supposed to be 0.29mm. The thin green is Daiwa Morethan PE0.8 (JDM) and is PE1.5, and should be .205mm according to the gou chart. The silver wire is 0.2mm, the copper wire is .15mm so the camera is calibrated correctly and should be for $30k. This is 100x zoom so the edges are not super sharp, but I measured it multiple times with different zoom/focus. Not happy the Platypus is  so far off stated size and is crazy thick for 20lb braid.

In the end I've put Shimano Pitbull+ (JDM/pink) PE0.8 on there which I'll measure later but it feels like the .148mm it's supposed to be and I fitted 150m per Daiwa spec.

image.png.3fb3c4c166692f97b970b845203296ca.png

I have an Emeraldas LT 2500 which is supposed to hold 200m of PE 0.8. I have Platypus P8 10lb which is meant to be equivalent to PE 0.8 and I only fit about 100m. Initially it didn't bother me, but I've noticed on long casts I get a lot of drag on the line when the tide is running strong.

I've just bought some Diawa Emeraldas Durasensor PE 0.8 and it is noticeably thinner. I have no doubt I'll fit the full 200m.

1 hour ago, Territory Lad said:

That seems like a significant under estimate on their behalf. Is it possible it is a case of incorrect spool labelling? Eg. It's not actually their 20lb, it's something like 30lb?

I often wonder about this, I've got a couple of my heavy outfits spooled up with a suffix x9(?) "12lb" breaking strain I got trying something new for cheap (I will buy anything @ 50% off), however when i went to spool up it was like it was as thick as 12lb and is on heavy gear as it is definitely 30lb+ though to be fair it is good for what I'm using it for now so all's well.

Don't know if it was a mis-spool or just bad figures quoted which is a common issue with line so now I'm that guy who opens the line up in the shop and has a good feel before buying, maybe Mrs Soobz can still have pink too, just need to check for the diameter you want and (probably) away you go.

Yeah Trusting manufacturers specs on how thick their line is has caused me heart ache in the past - very annoying when you cant even fit a 100m top shot on a reel.

I think that was about the time I went looking for answers and someone recommended Paulus Fishing. Scanning through all his Strength and diametre tests was a big eye opener.

Surely the manufacturers know how thick their lines are but then they go and write something different on the label - super annoying .

I suspected they did it to make their braids seem stronger than they were - ie if we say its thinner than it is, it will get a reputation as being a super strong braid for its stated breaking strain and stated diametre. And then they just hope noone has camera's capable of 100x magnification😉

Ive had lines recommended to me as being super thin but really strong - but when I spooled them up they were like rope. And Im sure the guy doing the recommending was just going off what it said on the packet.

• 2 weeks later...