Buying JDM (now is a good time)

I promised in another thread I'd post the guide. It's covered in these 2 videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wQ66LXFFJw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR3iW2dvai4

As previously stated, really it's the high end reels/rods that make most sense, those items under $300 here won't be any cheaper usually. But over that they can be half the price.

However, braid/leader can be way cheaper, so can most terminal tackle. If you do buy a reel it's often free freight, so always buy a reel with line.

And that's the main point, freight can kill the prices, so buying with mates might be the go or buy a lot at once.

I've had good results with digitaka.

Be warned though, there is no warranty, however Japanese shops are typically very honest and will try to help if they can.

I'll post a few of my prime picks later.

I buy all my reels, line and most of my terminal tackle from Japanese and European online stores. I've even bought my last 4 rods from overseas. Soobz's advice is spot on.

If buying with mates, you can get the prices up to the minimum spend for shipping even on mid to lower end reels. My Ultegra FC 1000 cost $190 landed, a fair bit cheaper than $260 at BCF. I bought the reel when they were first released but now they are even cheaper, if buying with a mate, you would pay about $150 landed.

14 hours ago, MAH said:

I buy all my reels, line and most of my terminal tackle from Japanese and European online stores. I've even bought my last 4 rods from overseas.

Please share the Euro stores you've had success with.

I like to buy local, and I do want to support bricks and mortar shops and local sales jobs (for their knowledge/support) but I get quite pissed off paying twice the price for a lot of fishing stuff and then AU stores not supporting me, by failing to make available a lot of gear here (eg. left hand wind, higher gear ratios, models).

I'll also add that one of the reason JDM is particularly good now is the Japanese printed oodles of Yen to cope with covid and so the Yen vs AU$ is about 10-15% better than the longer term average.

I've had success with https://www.pro-fishing.eu/

They don't have a big range and don't have the top end reels, but if you are after a reel like a Shimano Ultegra, you can pay about $195 landed as opposed to $260 locally. Add in a spool of Shimano Kairiki 8 for $20 and some terminal tackle, maybe a couple of lures and you have saved $100.

One of the good deals about this store is they charge a flat rate of EUR9.99.