Sun Shirt Recommendations

Any recommendations, anything you have been particularly happy with?

For several years I've worn Columbia long sleeve shirts when fishing and any outdoor activity. They have been excellent, lightweight, quick drying, roomy allowing free movement; but they are getting pricey. Cheapest I've found is $75, which is bit of coin when you want to buy 2 or 3.

If I can't find anything else, I'll just buy the same shirts again, because even if it's pricey, it's better than sunburn and the risk of skin cancer.

I bought a couple of these for trout fishing, they 100% cotton and wear really well.. I think they were around $37-95 ea.back when I bought them three months ago on Ebay plus it was free postage as well. There's also long sleeve permanent press shirts that are a few dollars cheaper too with free postage.

s-l500.jpg.4ba68811f4fb89ec8d90ed653cff6db0.jpg1.jpg.fd95c537d49828eb374d66bc97b4dcc2.jpg

9.jpg.b29695da996df534846b6730cefbd901.jpg

These are the colours I use for trout fishing.

Ive moved away from the $2 cotton op-shop business shirt.

Mainly because I had a BCF voucher burning a hole in my pocket and I was intrigued by the claims of the new materials

Theres definitely some truth to those new polyester shirts keeping you cool - it doesnt make sense that they could be cooler than cotton but there is some weird science going on once you start to sweat.

If its super hot and Ive got no shade for hours out on the boat - I go with the new tech polyester and huge brim hats - in white

347.jpg

348.jpeg

Funny this should come up I’ve bought some recently including a upcoming Father’s Day gift of an Adelaide crows fishing shirt . I purchased a Daiwa one from a certain store that gave me $20 off if I spent $50 so I selected that one in grey and a solar tube it was around the $50 mark for the 2 . Getting the $20 discount was hell on earth eventually they gave it to me for the discounted price . Now having time I googled a certain tackle shop on port road they had one up for a price went in there couldn’t find it the one I thought it was . Was marked just under $50 . I asked the person behind the counter and I got sorry no idea what your talking about . Person brought up their website ok we will match that price . Match a price on your website lmao . Anyway this one’s an owner fishing shirt better iirc sun protection. My advice always check prices and make certain you only pay what they advertise products for . Honestly it’s funny to me we give you $20 off but when you redeem it Um no we can’t do it then do it . And a shop advertised prices online then says no we didn’t but we will match our own price lmao 

My hats have also evolved - I used to wear baseball caps but they basically just shade your eyes - and often thats all you need.

But if you are out in real sun - super wide brims are where its at.

It amazing how much cooler you stay when direct sun isnt blasting your shoulders aswell.

This huge brim from ali express is very well made and collapsable - so you can pack it easily in a suitcase.

553.jpeg

557.jpeg

On 17/8/2022 at 5:19 PM, MAH said:

For several years I've worn Columbia long sleeve shirts when fishing and any outdoor activity. They have been excellent, lightweight, quick drying, roomy allowing free movement; but they are getting pricey. Cheapest I've found is $75, which is bit of coin when you want to buy 2 or 3.

If I can't find anything else, I'll just buy the same shirts again, because even if it's pricey, it's better than sunburn and the risk of skin cancer.

My favourite is the Columbia "Blood & Guts" fishing shirts. 

For all the reasons you have already mentioned. But also their water resistance and they are very stain resistant.

$75 is good value. Considering they last for ages.

On 17/08/2022 at 5:19 PM, MAH said:

The only problem with shirts is when it gets hot humid day shirts get wet and stick to the skin and doesn't breathe,what does work better is a polyester shirts the one's that tradies wear with the cool dry fabric which is micro vented and loose fit.You can find a variety online in colours to suite or something from the BCF vented cool range.

Interesting about hats I had my daughter with me looking at BigW and Kmart problem mainly the ones i wanted had mesh in allowing sun through . So I paid a massive $8 😂for a hat from Kmart looks like I’m going to school but like a cricket one will keep the sun off as will they solar tube I bought . For myself long sleeve fishing shirt hat tube ect are to keep the sun off me . And those that know me by the waters edge no more shorts when it’s in the 30s

1 hour ago, SurfcaztR said:

The only problem with shirts is when it gets hot humid day shirts get wet and stick to the skin and doesn't breathe,what does work better is a polyester shirts the one's that tradies wear with the cool dry fabric which is micro vented and loose fit.You can find a variety online in colours to suite or something from the BCF vented cool range.

The Columbia shirts are like this. They are also vented at the back to help stay cool.

P017783929_CARBON_5_1500.03112021120039.jpg

18774002_fpx.jpg

101162-5.jpg

No, not like that. But the fibers are very fine and the weave is not super tight like a business shirt, so it is very breathable, particularly in combination with the back vents. It's certainly worked for me.

However I will check out what you have suggested.

Cheers

MAH

40 years ago when starting  a lawn mowing service we only had the choice of wearing a shirt,polo shirt or T shirt,20 years on the polyester shirts came out as pictured above and they made a huge difference.Working at 8-10 homes a day in 30+ deg heat and walking an average of 10ks a day during summer anything that made a difference was a benefit and todays franchise mowing contractors wear those micro vented shirts in there daily jobs because it's cooler.

45 minutes ago, SurfcaztR said:

40 years ago when starting  a lawn mowing service we only had the choice of wearing a shirt,polo shirt or T shirt,20 years on the polyester shirts came out as pictured above and they made a huge difference.Working at 8-10 homes a day in 30+ deg heat and walking an average of 10ks a day during summer anything that made a difference was a benefit and todays franchise mowing contractors wear those micro vented shirts in there daily jobs because it's cooler.

Yeah you cant get a better endorsement than that👍 -

There really is some magic going on with those shirts

I was a bit Skeptical when Buying my new fishing shirt - It didnt make sense these new shirts could be cooler than cotton.

I wouldnt have even bought it if I didnt have a voucher, I didnt know what to buy with.

I was always told cotton was the best  - and for a long time it probably was - but the breathability claims of cotton now have some serious competition. The newer polyester shirts are well worth checking out. 

I just went outside and blew air through the 2 sorts of shirt - Forcing air through the Polyester was about 3 times easier than cotton

548.jpg

547.jpg

12 hours ago, yellow door 1 said:

Yeah you cant get a better endorsement than that👍 -

There really is some magic going on with those shirts

I was a bit Skeptical when Buying my new fishing shirt - It didnt make sense these new shirts could be cooler than cotton.

I wouldnt have even bought it if I didnt have a voucher, I didnt know what to buy with.

I was always told cotton was the best  - and for a long time it probably was - but the breathability claims of cotton now have some serious competition. The newer polyester shirts are well worth checking out. 

I just went outside and blew air through the 2 sorts of shirt - Forcing air through the Polyester was about 3 times easier than cotton

548.jpg

547.jpg

You always go that extra yard !  🤣

On 18/8/2022 at 6:08 AM, Mickyj said:

Funny this should come up I’ve bought some recently including a upcoming Father’s Day gift of an Adelaide crows fishing shirt . I purchased a Daiwa one from a certain store that gave me $20 off if I spent $50 so I selected that one in grey and a solar tube it was around the $50 mark for the 2 . Getting the $20 discount was hell on earth eventually they gave it to me for the discounted price . Now having time I googled a certain tackle shop on port road they had one up for a price went in there couldn’t find it the one I thought it was . Was marked just under $50 . I asked the person behind the counter and I got sorry no idea what your talking about . Person brought up their website ok we will match that price . Match a price on your website lmao . Anyway this one’s an owner fishing shirt better iirc sun protection. My advice always check prices and make certain you only pay what they advertise products for . Honestly it’s funny to me we give you $20 off but when you redeem it Um no we can’t do it then do it . And a shop advertised prices online then says no we didn’t but we will match our own price lmao 

Ok yesterday there was a special at a certain store I can walk to so yes bought one more another 50 plus shirt . And my daughter remembered to bring the crows fishing shirt home for my Father’s Day gift lol . That’s 6 shirts in total including 1 got at the charity op shop I volunteer at . I think all the places that have these shirts can stop having them on sales I have enough lol