Lost my rod during kayak fishing

Ouch! That sucks. Have you tried going back with a weighted line to try and jag it? Heard stories of others dropping a handline with a heavy sinker and a few large trebles and being able to re-claim it.

I just bought the same set up today. Although I don’t have much hope That I could get it back but I will go back this weekend and try to get it back by magnet fishing

I just bought the same set up today. Although I don’t have much hope That I could get it back but I will go back this weekend and try to get it back by magnet fishing
That's your second mistake. I've learnt to only use low/mid range gear on the kayak it gets trashed way too easy. First thing I'd be doing is making up some rod leashes or buying some they are cheap insurance.

One of my first outings when I got my kayak I went down to Marino and ended up in the drink and lost a couple of good combos and assortment of other things.. wasn't a great day but you learn from your mistakes.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, Softy said:

I've learnt to only use low/mid range gear on the kayak it gets trashed way too easy.

Agree 100%.

The trickle down of rod and reel technology means you can buy quite good gear at reasonable prices. Shimano Nasci has a screw in handle, Coreprotect, Micromodule II, etc., and you can pick up a 1000 sized reel for $140.

I have the same attitude to taking good gear to a jetty. I've laid down a rod to get a gut hooked fish off, only to have someone tread on the rod tip.

On 22/8/2022 at 7:34 PM, JosephY said:

Yesterday went to west lake for my first ever kayak fishing session. And some how I knock my rod into the water went for a swim but couldn’t get it back. Brought the rod and reel less than a month 🥲🥲 anyone had same experience ? 84f9eb0a6865c44f7e86985e8dbc2a89.jpg

Damn! Thats a great combo too

Leashes are cheap and easy, Bunnings has what you need, 4mm bungee cord and stainless snap hooks. Bowline or perfection loops at each end, sized for the rod butt (ie. smaller than), about 1m long or a bit shorter depending on what suits. Don't bother with the coiled leashes, they are expensive and tangle easy.

I leash everything pretty much, never had a serious issue with tangles.

For that setup I'd be bugging a scuba mate to retrieve. I'd do it but my gear is out of test.

Sorry for your loss :(

If you know exactly where in Westlakes they you have a reasonable chance of getting it back. I agree with Soobz, for the price of that gear, try to find someone with Scuba, or even a wetsuit and snorkel if it is not too deep.

I just took a handline the first few times I fished from my Yak. Like others have said, I mainly use cheaper gear from the Yak just in case. I've had a good run with the KastKing Sharky reels and run them almost exclusively for my kayak use. They have taken a fair bit of salt spray and get a quick rinse when I get home and are still reasonably smooth. Like most things the price is slowly creeping up but I would still rate them as about par with the $100 Shimano and Diawa offerings.

I've flipped the Yak twice and dropped some outfits but managed to get them back both time. I still prefer not to leash my rods but that's a calculated risk I am happy to take. The rods are in a high vertical rod holder attached to the esky behind me for transport and locked in a high scotty rod holder when fishing.

I do leash the rest of my Yak gear including my Pedal drive. I also have added floatation to my net to make sure it floats.