I must confess - I'm a smoker!

:icon_lol:A fish smoker now.Just tried out my smoke box this morning for the first time.Mrs Tyke and I had purposely gone looking for Tommies yesterday - nice sized ones near the Onk mouth and a little further south.I've just simply used brown sugar and sea salt with a few Mesquite chips.To say I'm impressed is an understatement!!!How easy is it???Mrs Tyke has nicked most of the first batch so I'm on with a second now.Plus some Smokehouse Cod fillets (it's what a mate calls these biggish /wrasse type fish that I don't mind the taste of)Wooohooo,another first.We are off to a BBQ on Monday so I'm thinking of filleting a couple of Ruggers I have in the freezer and doing them for the event.No stopping me now! ;D ;D

Hiya Fishie.Just brought out the second batch.Using Hickory chips - not Mesquite as I'd said before - doh!I put more in but they are very strong,I'd go lighter next time.The Smokehouse Cod was OK - ish but I'll leave the skin on next time,it came out a bit frazzled :icon_e_surprised:Gentle and less seems to be the way.Gonna have fun messing around with this smoker :stir: :stir:

tyke i love my smoker it lets me use all those fish i would only normaly keep for bait cant stand snook but like it smoked,not a great fan of salmon trout love them smoked and the humble tommy :censored: n aws0m smoked and the list just goes on and on ;) have fun axperimenting ;D oh and of course taste testing ::) goes very well with a couple of beers on ice ;D

tyke i love my smoker it lets me use all those fish i would only normaly keep for bait cant stand snook but like it smoked,not a great fan of salmon trout love them smoked and the humble tommy :censored: n aws0m smoked and the list just goes on and on ;) have fun axperimenting ;D oh and of course taste testing ::) goes very well with a couple of beers on ice ;D

I'm certainly having fun - a whole new dimension is added to my fishing now.I smoked a couple of big Snapper chunks last night - yum!Just smoked the fillets (skin on) from a couple of Ruggers.We are popping around to a Pommie BBQ later ,thought it might be interesting for them ;D
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I can now confess - I'm a NON SMOKER.As in - kicked a nasty habit :woohoo: Stopped the day before the cruise so now nearly 3 weeks.Anyone who has fished with me knows how addicted I was - especially having to stop and have a cig while pulling up 20lb Snap! :silly: :silly: I found it easy on the cruise but now back home it's harder for some reason - perhaps familiar surrounding and habits.Using the nicotine gum.Tried total cold turkey - ya don't want to know me!! :evil: :evil:

Tell me about it!I lived for my ciggies, but under pressure from the doctor and the wife, I too have secumbed to only breathing fresh air!I'm on the champix pills where ya continue to smoke for the first two weeks. Been on the pills for 7 weeks now, so's I've now been 5 weeks without a ciggie!I miss them! :( It get's much worse though! I'm also on a diet and eating healthy, I've cut out junk food, I'm going to the gym 3 days per week, I'm exercising regularly, I've cut back my alcohol consumption, I no longer have sugar in my coffee, and I've even bought a bl**dy kayak to keep fit while I'm fishing! :huh: Sure I feel better, I can actually breathe without coughing, I've lost a coupla inches around the waist and have more energy, but.............Tis a sad life! :dry:

I had a go at the Champix - it did not agree with me though.Bloating,bad guts and bad taste in the gob :unsure: Not the miracle cure that you'd think but if it works for some - great stuff! :) Onya Ranger! - Must be twice as hard for you with going on the health eating as well.Me - I'll give it a few weeks before I start watching what I eat. ;)

Hard? Who are you to talk about hard? In fact, did I even ask for a reply at all? And while we're on the subject, why is winter so bl**dy cold? And do ya know what really sh*ts me? In fact, don't even bother answering, coz I know ya don't really care! And don't get me started on.........umm, no it's been quite easy actually. :) The gym was a bit of a bugger. First time all this clear liquid started leaking out of my forehead and stinging my eyes! I thought I mighta sprained my brain, but they tell me that's quite normal! Apparently it's also normal to go red in the face, grunt and moan, and always have one part of ya body or another aching! :huh:

First time all this clear liquid started leaking out of my forehead and stinging my eyes! I thought I mighta sprained my brain, but they tell me that's quite normal! Apparently it's also normal to go red in the face, grunt and moan

Thats all well and good Ranger but

and always have one part of ya body or another aching!

I live by the motto if it hurts dont do it ;):laugh:

Apparently Smoked Fish causes cancer.... (just thought I'd throw that in :ohmy: :( )Die happy with a smile on yer dial fellas'.... life is too shortI've cut back on beer (only 1 glass a day now)and have started eating plenty of fruit and also cereal from brekky instead of a Mc Chunder coffee on the way to work. I didn't like the treadmill workout so just about to test out a rowing machine instead, I reckon I could enjoy that workout a lot more than the running bizzo, also the dogs have had a walk each arvo for the past 3 days (they're probably wondering what the hell a dog walk is :blink: )I'm finding as I'm getting older it's a hell of a lot harder to stay fit, taught and terrific :ohmy: :S

Ranger wrote:

Fishie wrote:

the dogs have had a walk each arvo for the past 3 days (they're probably wondering what the hell a dog walk is :blink: )

Why do the dogs have to suffer when YOU'RE the one with the problem?
Bugger! I should've kept the treadmill and tied them up to it :ohmy: :unsure: Yep! I'm out the door in the morning just after sun up to give them a run out in the paddocks :)
Del wrote:

any suggestions for a small smoker i can stow away inside when not in use...as i live in a block of units.. i cant really set up much outside.. but i love smoked fish!

Del - this thread has gone so far off smoked fish it's untrue.BTW - did I say I hate smoked fish now???I'm off to sleep before I start hating other things.You don't live longer when you stop smoking - it just seems that way!!!! :angry::angry:
Tyke wrote:

Sorry but I'm fair tonight - just hate everyone and everything.!!!! :S :S Just come in from the pub - where the smell of fags was wafting in from the antisocial area.

Have been a non-smoker for 11 an half years now but every now and then a wiff of a smoke and I think that it smells nice! Strange after all this time ya still can get the urge although only just.