DAIWA FUEGO CS LT 2000SH high speed reel 6.2 ratio

Hi all... 

Im looking at a different reel for top water YFW fishing.... 

Question

has anyone used or know of the DAIWA FUEGO CS LT 2000SH high speed reel 6.2 ratio?

Its mag sealed which is what Im after as the Pro caster I use isnt water resistant.. I do drop in the water some times... 

It comes with a spare spool as well.... I know its not a "high" end reel.... But the spare spool is what making me look at it..

I looked at the shimano Vanford but the spare reel is as much as the whole reel.... Which is the case with most spare spools today..

Whats people opinins of this reel?

Mike

H50c375e888ca42f687434ca8dcdfcf1eR.jpg

What is more important, water protection or spare spool?

Declaration, I prefer Shimano reels to Daiwa. The only Daiwa reel I currently own is an Emeraldas LT.

When it comes to Daiwa magsealed reels I'm so-so. I like the concept, it provides pretty good protection to the anti-reverse clutch. My two gripes are;

1. I'm not as confident about self servicing the reel and need the special oil
  2. The reverse switch is weakness in terms of water protection

So although the magseal is good keeping water out, the reverse switch is a weakness if the reel gets dunked.

If water protection from the occasional dunking is a significant issue, counterintuitively, I favour simpler reels. I have a Shimano Sienna and a Sedona that I use when kayak fishing and they get a lot of spray and the occasional dunking. Both reels are poor at keeping the water out, but if dunked are super simple to strip down, clean and re-grease. Downside to such simple reels, is they are not are not very refined. The new Sahara FJ has a nice seat of features, including a screw in handle, but is still nice and simple (but the weight and line retrieve might not match you needs). You can buy one from an OS store for $105 landed, or buy 2 ($202 landed) and not only do you have a spare spool, but you have another body for spare parts!

Just my thoughts.

That's not the Australian model as that is available from Tackleworld only and does not have a spare spool, plus the colours are different. I do wonder about those Aliexpress reels, as in are they actually genuine Daiwa?

Also currently at sub $200 delivered consider the Japanese Domestic Market (JDM)  it's 175g, 76cm retrieve, fully magsealed, long cast spool, monocoque body, very well built - it's the same reel as the Ballistic MQ as sold in the US. The JDM version has the higher gear ratio we don't get in AU. As far as I can see, a second spool from JDM is available as a Daiwa SLP Works Alpha for around $50 or the proper Caldia for around $80, but you'd want to check on the compatibility. At the Vanford AU price you can have a Luvias, no contest this is a much better reel (ignore I-Fish on youtube if researching comparisons, his old video seems to pop up and he has since said he likes it). Both should be in AU tackle shops, though not at the same gearing and certainly not at the same prices. PM me if you want more info.

FWIW, I am a Daiwa fan, though also a Shimano one, the magseal oil is available if you did want to service your own reels.

BTW, the Luvias and the Revelry FC are the same reel, except the Revelry FC has a heavier/thicker rotor and a 2 piece bail, and you can't get it in the higher gear version like Luvias, and of course is red and $80 less in $AU. Does it show I have been researching reels lately?

Everyone will have their own preferences as to what factor in a reel is most important to them.

For me, as I frequently will fish 6 to 7 hours straight casting lures for YFW & Flathead, I find the reel weight is critical. Especially given that I am developing arthritic conditions in my wrists and finger joints.

Fortunately the lighter reels also come with the better componentry and specs. 

For waterproofing (as much as that may be possible) I heavily apply Lannox both internally and externally before a session. I do drop my reels into the drink more frequently than I would like. And they still seem to survive. I also have them regularly serviced at least once a year.

So for "top water YFW fishing" my two go to reels at present are;

Shimano Vanford 2500 @ 185 grams.

But I prefer the ABU GARCIA MGX Revo 2 MGXtreme 20 Reel @ 159 grams. It comes with a spare spool to boot. Different spool depth and capacity. Also spare handle knobs, so you get cork or EVA option. All in a nice well presented protective case.

My reel service guy does not like servicing the ABU as he says it is complicated mechanically.

Not the cheapest on offer, this reliable ebay supplier that I have bought from, has the best price at $332.49 

AbuGarciaRevo.jpg.a92483bdf298415470495b847ae76804.jpg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/292814856956?chn=ps&_ul=AU&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-139619-5960-0&mkcid=2&itemid=292814856956&targetid=&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9070872&poi=&campaignid=15791083372&mkgroupid=&rlsatarget=&abcId=9300816&merchantid=113888455&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpeaYBhDXARIsAEzItbGsge9K70rlgEwHBehpa1Fxh1LWtbfeD7CLWnH1cvZ6U0gUO843HzwaAor8EALw_wcB

The following are some other reels that have attracted my interest but I am yet to check out;

DAIWA 17 GEKKABIJIN EX 1003C SPIN REEL

DAIWA 21 REVELRY MQ FC 2500 SPIN REEL

I would be interested to know what you decide on.

Cheers, Des

A very good supplier. Freight Free > $125. Express post. Usually get their orders the very next day if Oz Post do the right thing. A good price at $349.50. It is the next larger size MGXTREME 30. A bit heavier at 168 grams.

https://anglerswarehouse.com.au/product_detail.asp?productnospaces=abu_revo_mgxtreme_30_spin_reel_18521

abu_revo_mgxtreme_30_spin_reel_18521_20264315_L.png.jpeg.ee53e10d7a3a056e237a22ee91edf19c.jpeg

On 09/09/2022 at 5:28 PM, Des said:

A very good supplier. Freight Free > $125. Express post. Usually get their orders the very next day if Oz Post do the right thing. A good price at $349.50. It is the next larger size MGXTREME 30. A bit heavier at 168 grams.

https://anglerswarehouse.com.au/product_detail.asp?productnospaces=abu_revo_mgxtreme_30_spin_reel_18521

abu_revo_mgxtreme_30_spin_reel_18521_20264315_L.png.jpeg.ee53e10d7a3a056e237a22ee91edf19c.jpeg

Des.. How do you find the 6.2:1 ratio as to the 5.2:1?

When retrieving some of my lures.. Im pumping the winder and it does give me a sore wrist after hours and hours of casting.... I put a longer handle on it.. Makes a little difference but I still get a sore wrist... Hence why I was thinking of the 6.2:1 ratio.. I can always slow the lure down but getting it to go fast is whats bothering me.. Or am I dreaming? Most of my fishing is having the lure pop about on the surface and always moving... 

If you want more speed then a higher gear plus getting a compact body shallow reel could be the answer as they have higher retrieve rate due to the larger spool but not much extra weight and sometime none.

eg. JDM Luvias retrieve gear weight drag capacity bearings handle

LT2500-XH       87     6.2     175     10.0     0.8-200    9 / 1     55    
LT3000S-CXH   93     6.2     180     10.0     0.8-200    9 / 1     55

Des, I'm with you, I like high gearing. A higher gear is always slightly harder to to turn though, so often the manufacturer puts a longer handle on them, eg. the 5.2 standard gear Luvias has a 50mm handle. I have come to the conclusion that to get high gear yet smooth and light means going higher end, and my hands/wrists are worth it :).

2 hours ago, Soobz said:

If you want more speed then a higher gear plus getting a compact body shallow reel could be the answer as they have higher retrieve rate due to the larger spool but not much extra weight and sometime none.

eg. JDM Luvias retrieve gear weight drag capacity bearings handle

LT2500-XH       87     6.2     175     10.0     0.8-200    9 / 1     55    
LT3000S-CXH   93     6.2     180     10.0     0.8-200    9 / 1     55

Des, I'm with you, I like high gearing. A higher gear is always slightly harder to to turn though, so often the manufacturer puts a longer handle on them, eg. the 5.2 standard gear Luvias has a 50mm handle. I have come to the conclusion that to get high gear yet smooth and light means going higher end, and my hands/wrists are worth it :).

Ta for that.. Looks nice but a spare spool is around the $180 mark.. Bit too expensive for me.. Im liking the Abu... The spare spool is selling it to me.. 

5 hours ago, MIKECATTS said:

Des.. How do you find the 6.2:1 ratio as to the 5.2:1?

When retrieving some of my lures.. Im pumping the winder and it does give me a sore wrist after hours and hours of casting.... I put a longer handle on it.. Makes a little difference but I still get a sore wrist... Hence why I was thinking of the 6.2:1 ratio.. I can always slow the lure down but getting it to go fast is whats bothering me.. Or am I dreaming? Most of my fishing is having the lure pop about on the surface and always moving... 

I really have to look after my wrists these days if I am to enjoy this pastime for many more years.

I occasionally have to use a wrist support brace. Also I have had to developed amphidextrous abilities to share the strain across both left and right wrists & arms. 

The higher gear ratio is essential for YFW surface fishing. So I never use anything under 6:1. However that cannot be taken in isolation. You also need to consider the circumference of the spool. Hence a 2500/3000 reel is so much better than a 1000 reel with the same gear ratio. They provide a greater line retrieval rate (retrieve speed). 

Gear Ratio (spool rotations) X Spool Circumference (spool size)= Line Retrieval Rate (retrieval speed)

Easier to slow a lure down if fast, rather than speed it up IMO.

A good article: https://surffishingsocalsd.com/how-to-choose-a-fishing-reel-numbers-gear-ratios-etc/

“For example, a 4.4:1 gear ratio reel with a 2-inch-diameter spool will recover 13.8 inches of line per turn of the handle. A 6.2:1 ratio reel with a 1.5-inch-diameter spool will recover less than 11 inches of line per handle turn. Therefore, it is the size of the spool in combination with gear ratio that most affects the recovery of the line."

Cheers, Des

• 3 weeks later...