Coorong and victor harbor

Hi! I want to explore some new fishing spot have never fish in coorong and VB but keen to take some adventure. I’m thinking of rock fishing in vb and maybe bring my kayak but have heard story about great white in there. Can anyone give me some tips about fishing in these area ? Like land based spot in coorong ( not asking for secret spot just general area) and if it’s safe to kayaking in these places.

Thank you

How much kayak fishing and ocean kayaking experience do you have? What Kayak?
It can be pretty big water out there. You would want to pick your day and be experienced in deep water reentry and surf launching.

Coorong is much easier and more sheltered for the yak.

Thank you for reply kelvin My kayak is kayak 2 fish next gen 11. I’ have only been kayaking in west lake 3 times. Maybe I should try coorong before vb

Maybe just try metro Westbeach, Henley or Glenelg. See how you handle a 1m swell and 15 knots and build up your skills first. Make sure you can get back on board if you fall out in deep water. Even metro can be uncomfortable when the swell is building and there is a big shore dump to negotiate. Coorong is fine in most weather conditions. Just watch out near the mouth as the current can be strong.

The bluff and behind granite island is doable depending on conditions, but get your skills up first.

The Kayak 2 Fish Next Gen looks reasonable. They are big and wide which gives stability. The drive is based on the first generation Hobie fins so they work ok but will be abit slow. They might struggle if you have to go against the current or wind The size of the yak makes it difficult to paddle if the drive fails and also difficult to surf back in to shore if you need to get through a shore break. 

You should be fine in up to 10knots wind and 1m swell but that would be the limit.

@JosephY Can I suggest you look at some easier places to get your experience up;

Snowdens beach - it's in the Port River, head south from the boat ramp, lots of salmon trout at times, a few bream, fish the edges and around the structure. Don't go NE towards Torrens Island in a big tide change, it really moves a lot of water past the marina over that way.

Garden Island - launch at the boat ramp area. On big tide swings the current screams through the Angas Channel, but if you hug the mangroves you'll be ok.

Seacliff - launch in front of the Surf Lifesaving Club, head towards the black pole to the SE. Good squidding there if it's clear water, no need to go past the pole. Keep an eye out for lazy/stupid boaties that sometimes come too close at speed and throw up big wakes.

Don't forget the reservoirs, some great freshwater fishing (get a license first though!), and pretty easy fishing in most conditions. Happy Valley, Myponga, Warren, South Para, all good fun.

Do yourself a favour and practice a capsize recovery in shallow/calm water before taking on any waves, particularly if you are not a strong swimmer.

Not a yakker but the number one spot I'd be practicing my ocean yakking would be anywhere along the coast from Tickera down to Port Hughes, lots of great spots close to shore, no swell really, waves are generally from the wind and gentle currents compared to anywhere else.

Good luck what ever you decide on, let us know how you go.

Maybe just try metro Westbeach, Henley or Glenelg. See how you handle a 1m swell and 15 knots and build up your skills first. Make sure you can get back on board if you fall out in deep water. Even metro can be uncomfortable when the swell is building and there is a big shore dump to negotiate. Coorong is fine in most weather conditions. Just watch out near the mouth as the current can be strong.
The bluff and behind granite island is doable depending on conditions, but get your skills up first.

The Kayak 2 Fish Next Gen looks reasonable. They are big and wide which gives stability. The drive is based on the first generation Hobie fins so they work ok but will be abit slow. They might struggle if you have to go against the current or wind The size of the yak makes it difficult to paddle if the drive fails and also difficult to surf back in to shore if you need to get through a shore break. 
You should be fine in up to 10knots wind and 1m swell but that would be the limit.

Thank you Kelvin. After seeing ur suggestion I will definitely try metro area to gain more ocean kayaking experience. And yes my kayak don’t do well in current. On my first kayak session i try to paddle through some current at west lake and it took me hour to reach where I want to go (less than 2km from my launch point ).
@JosephY Can I suggest you look at some easier places to get your experience up;
Snowdens beach - it's in the Port River, head south from the boat ramp, lots of salmon trout at times, a few bream, fish the edges and around the structure. Don't go NE towards Torrens Island in a big tide change, it really moves a lot of water past the marina over that way.
Garden Island - launch at the boat ramp area. On big tide swings the current screams through the Angas Channel, but if you hug the mangroves you'll be ok.
Seacliff - launch in front of the Surf Lifesaving Club, head towards the black pole to the SE. Good squidding there if it's clear water, no need to go past the pole. Keep an eye out for lazy/stupid boaties that sometimes come too close at speed and throw up big wakes.
Don't forget the reservoirs, some great freshwater fishing (get a license first though!), and pretty easy fishing in most conditions. Happy Valley, Myponga, Warren, South Para, all good fun.
Do yourself a favour and practice a capsize recovery in shallow/calm water before taking on any waves, particularly if you are not a strong swimmer.

Thank you soobz. I will definitely try Snowden beach and seacliff . I know there is some ray in Snowden beach would be funny to fight them in a kayak. And heard lot of stories about squids/ snook at seacliff and marina rock. I don’t have much experience with fresh water fishing but have been fish at happy valley for cod few times was really disappointed they are in good size and good number but they don’t fight at all feel like dragging a dead fish from the water.
Not a yakker but the number one spot I'd be practicing my ocean yakking would be anywhere along the coast from Tickera down to Port Hughes, lots of great spots close to shore, no swell really, waves are generally from the wind and gentle currents compared to anywhere else.
Good luck what ever you decide on, let us know how you go.

Thank you Wert. Port Hughes is bit far from where I live but will definitely try if I went fishing at yorke. I’ll keep updated my kayak journeys on en the weather is getting better
4 hours ago, Soobz said:

Seacliff is a very good spot to practice. You don't need to be far offshore to catch squid and you can also pick-up other species like snook. It's a very popular spot so there will likely be others around you plus there is the Surf Life Saving Club and yacht club adding to activity and eyes on the water.

However, practicing capsize and re-entry can't be over emphasised. Self rescue should be considered your primary method, never assume someone will be there to help, you must be able to save yourself.  I'm pretty confident on the water, including multi-day self supported tours  circumnavigating islands in West Papua. I still practice capsize and re-entry. As a kid we owned and sailed a Mirror dinghy, the same principle applied and my sailing school made us practice all the time. Even if there was no wind, they would tow us out and we would drill capsize and re-entry over and over again. I've had to call upon my skills many times and would have been in serious trouble if not well drilled.

I make my son practice regularly, even though he hates doing it. One thing I drum into him is never let go of the boat, not only is something you can rest upon, but a kayak is more visible than a person bobbing up and down in the water. Remember that once you flip your capsized kayak back over, if there is a strong wind or swell. your kayak can shoot off from you much faster than you can swim.

It sounds boring, but always plan for safety first and fishing second. Have a plan for the day, where you will be fishing, what time you will launch and return, etc, and make sure someone knows your plan. if you change your plan, let someone know (take your mobile phone with you in a waterproof pouch). Make sure you have all you safety gear packed before you start packing fishing gear. And do a safety check before you launch, bung in - check, hatches secure - check, etc.