Changes made to recreational fishing in Adelaide Dolphin Sanctuary

Public consultation on recreational fishing in the Adelaide Dolphin Sanctuary (ADS) is now open, with temporary measures in place to strike a balance between recreational fishing access and enhancing the protection of dolphins whilst the public consultation is undertaken to inform longer-term arrangements.

The Port River and Barker Inlet region, and wider ADS region, is a popular recreational fishing area that is readily accessed by land and boat.

From October 1, a temporary four-month arrangement will be in place under Section 79 of the Fisheries Management Act 2007 that will require recreational fishers to bring in their hand line, rod and line or teaser line if they are within 50 metres of a visible dolphin within the sanctuary.

This reasonable approach reflects the concerns for dolphins in the ADS, particularly during the coming months where larger recreationally targeted species such as Kingfish and Mulloway may be present, while ensuring that recreational fishers have access to these waters as they do now with a greater awareness regarding the Port River dolphins.

Clare Scriven, Minister for Primary Industries and Regional Development, says “These temporary arrangements achieve a balance between greater awareness and protection of dolphins within the Adelaide Dolphin Sanctuary, while ensuring recreational fishers still have the same access to the area and popular fish species while permanent arrangements are explored through consultation on the ADS options paper.

Following a review and initial consultation with stakeholders by the Government of South Australia, a discussion paper has been released, exploring the suitability of recreational fishing regulations in the area with respect to potential interactions with dolphins.

The options being considered may assist in mitigating dolphin interactions with recreational fishing gear and baits in the ADS. These options include:

• No change to recreational fishing regulations, but a targeted education and awareness initiative be undertaken.
  • Spatial (relating to particular areas) restrictions on the use of heavy fishing gear (large hook sizes and capacity of fishing line) for recreational fishing in the ADS.
  • Spatial (relating to particular areas) and temporal (relating to particular times) restrictions on the use of heavy fishing gear (large hook sizes and capacity of fishing line) for recreational fishing in the ADS.

Public consultation will be open for four weeks and will close on Friday 28 October, 2022. Anyone with an interest in recreational fishing and the ADS is invited to have their say.

Minister for Environment, Susan Close, says “The Adelaide Dolphin Sanctuary was established for the protection of local bottlenose dolphins. It is one of only a few places in the world where a wild dolphin population lives close to an urban centre.

“This consultation will be a key part of ensuring the dolphins living in the sanctuary are protected, while the other users of the ADS have appropriate access.”

For more information and provide your feedback visit: yoursay.sa.gov.au/ads-rec-fishing

https://glamadelaide.com.au/changes-made-to-recreational-fishing-in-adelaide-dolphin-sanctuary/

My initial reaction was - Dolphins are too smart to take lures and baits with hooks in them. Maybe they were getting Jagged?

So I googled it - turns out people have hooked them on live baits and lures, a few mentioned dirty water and bait frenzies -  and the young ones are the most likely to hit a lure.

My brief bit of googling suggests its not common but it does happen.

What absolute nonsense is this!?

Hooking dolphins must be the rarest event in fishing, I've had them play with livies many times but they always seemed to be 100% aware of this hook and line but throw something in not attached and bang, gone.

I'm all for not murdering dolphins but they are highly intelligent alpha beasts and I don't see what difference this rule will make or how it could be sensibly policed.

My fear would this will turn them from a welcome if occasionally annoying visitor into a target for rocks sinkers and similar from idiot fishos which I'm sure we all know still exist.

I'll also miss my visits from the big bugger with the diagonal scar on his nose, we chat sometimes, he comes up and is all "oi! Give me some fish!", He has some real attitude on him, and I tell him "get away you jerk, they're my fish, get your own, I'm fishing here and not allowed to give them to you anyway" but sometimes if he comes back to the ramp at garden island to help me put the boat on the trailer, I'm not going to lie, he might just get the odd ST or left over bit of bait.

Yeah I was just trying to get my head around how greenies could even come up with the notion in the first place - It seems like such a far fetched idea to a fisherman.

From an anglers point of view, the percentages of a chance hook up, are so low, that it seems ridiculous.

Its like banning kites because an Emu could run past, close by and get tangled up in the string.

But if you're a Greenie - If it might save one dolphin, then it must be done.